Need birthday 'cake' ideas!!!

Options

Replies

• solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of cake (though I've always LOVED good homemade cookies), so I usually buy some fancy fruit that I normally wouldn't splurge on and make a fruit salad. Though I like the looks of the paleo Chocolate cake mentioned by CallMeBAM... Happy Birthday!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out two things that bother me personally.
    1) Someone claiming angel food cake has less calories. I am guessing that is because it's serving size is less because it's mostly air? Or is it really less cals per gram?
    2) Fat free icing... with 1 cup of corn syrup!??! That's like, this cigarette is nicotine free, instead of tobacco I used crack.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    1) Someone claiming angel food cake has less calories. I am guessing that is because it's serving size is less because it's mostly air? Or is it really less cals per gram?
    2) Fat free icing... with 1 cup of corn syrup!??! That's like, this cigarette is nicotine free, instead of tobacco I used crack.

It bothers me too.
    I think peeps are mentioning angel food cake because it's fat free. It is LOADED with sugar. 1 3/4 cups of sugar in a basic recipe.

And 1 cup of corn syrup is STILL one cup of sugar. Heavily processed, SUGAR. It's just a meringue folks. You can make it with any kind of sugar.

I don't understand this obsession with fat free? I just don't.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Try a Roulade Cake.

It has no flour in it... sure tonz of eggs, but this cake is seriously tasty, gives you that chocolate indulgence feeling, but is really light. You can use that nasty fat free whipped topping in the center if you want... blech ( just personal preference) , or do good old fashioned whipped cream. Serve it with a dark chocolate (70 % cocoa melt in double boiler and drizzle on top) and fresh raspberries. Looks super pretty, and taste great. The other thing is you can slice it really thin, so you don't have to eat a huge piece.

Look at Martha Stewart for a really easy recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/337851/chocolate-roulade
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

It bothers me too.
    I think peeps are mentioning angel food cake because it's fat free. It is LOADED with sugar. 1 3/4 cups of sugar in a basic recipe.

And 1 cup of corn syrup is STILL one cup of sugar. Heavily processed, SUGAR. It's just a meringue folks. You can make it with any kind of sugar.

I don't understand this obsession with fat free? I just don't.

A few years ago there was a diet book out. Maybe it was the "T-Facto,r" I don't know. It pointed out the high caloric nature of equivalent amounts of fat vs Carbos.
    For a few years, everybody was talking about "fatgrams" like they were little demons or something.
    As a result, dieters were porking out on pretzels, candies (red rope licorice and jelly bans, IIRC) and claiming to be losing lots of weight. This might sound familiar to some of you.

That's to answer your question about why people make such a big deal about fat.

As for cake, make your favorite cake, enjoy a small slice, log it, and give the rest to the cat.

Me, I hate cake. But I will take a slice of blueberry pie.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I should probably say that I'm really not against something higher in calories and fat as long as it's healthier fat and if the high calories come with something of sustenance. Like, I have no problems with avocado and olive oil on a regular basis.
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're open to things other than cake, I LOVE this recipe and it's absolutely DELICIOUS. You can use fat free cool whip, low fat philedelphia (i don't reccommend fat free) and sugar free jello to reduce cals as well.
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/strawberry-pretzel-squares-53033.aspx
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My dad started a birthday trend in our house a few years back...
    instead of having traditional cake he bought a fruit tray with a yogurt dip
    and then stuck a candle in the dip!!!
    it was the best birthday "cake" I ever had!!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If you're open to things other than cake, I LOVE this recipe and it's absolutely DELICIOUS. You can use fat free cool whip, low fat philedelphia (i don't reccommend fat free) and sugar free jello to reduce cals as well.
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/strawberry-pretzel-squares-53033.aspx

:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Did anybody suggest buying a single cupcake from a bakery? Or one cake pop? Portion control, FTW!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a small cupcake in your favorite cake and icing flavor.... :smile:
  • busymom50
    busymom50 Posts: 29
    Options
    wow! that sounds good. I have never heard of that. I love getting a recipe that can get through an event without"cheating" and it tasting different than what I have every other day.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Corn syrup is high carb but regular icings are half fat and half sugar. This recipe eliminates the fat, 90% of which is converted to bodyfat if it's surplus calories. It takes roughly 40% of the calories in corn syrup to convert them to fat.

So...do you want to eat regular icing and convert 90% of the fat AND 60% of the sugar which would be 150 calories ? Or just 60% of the sugar (60 calories)? Me? I'd take the fat-free icing.

It's her birthday and she wants to celebrate so she's trying to find the best way to make it fun without blowing her calorie count which I think is admirable. She's not going to eat the whole cake. If she cuts it into 8 slices, that's about 115 calories from the whipped corn syrup, or 25 fewer calories than a can of coke.
  • kantone999
    Options
    The "obsession" with fat-free is based on research that says if you eat 100 fat calories and 100 sugar/carb calories that 90 calories of fat get added to your bodyfat compared to 60 calories of carbs. This is assuming the 100 calories are in excess of your daily burn.
  • kantone999
    Options

Angel Food cake = 129 calories, .1 gm fat and 15 grams of sugar. Devil's food cake = 180 calories, 3.5 grams of fat and 20 grams of sugar. The devils food cake figures are WITHOUT icing, btw. Both are 1/12 cake slices.
  • carriem29
    carriem29 Posts: 28
    Options
    I didn't read any of the other responses, so I hope this isn't a repeat, but what about a cake made of fruit. I saw the cake mentioned in the link below on Pinterest and I actually think this might be my next birthday cake:)

http://seemyfootprints.blogspot.com/2010/02/1st-birthday-quinns-all-fruit-cake.html
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How about a Diet Coke cake? Buy a box of the reduced sugar Pillsbury cake mix and add a 12oz can of diet coke. Nothing else. Mix and bake according to the box directions. It's yummy.

You can also try different flavor variations, i.e., white cake mix with diet orange or raspberry. If you want frosting, you can use lite cool whip if you like that.

Just an idea. Good luck.

This yum yum. We have had spice cake with Sprite Zero, carrot cake with Sprite Zero and chocolate with Coke Zero. We use sugar free fat free instant powders pudding mixed with the cool whip to add a second flavor.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cupcake shops are becoming more popular. Maybe you could find one of them or a really good bakery and find a cupcake of something that really appeals to you. It is your birthday and all! Happy Birthday!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options

It's her birthday and she wants to celebrate so she's trying to find the best way to make it fun without blowing her calorie count which I think is admirable. She's not going to eat the whole cake. If she cuts it into 8 slices, that's about 115 calories from the whipped corn syrup, or 25 fewer calories than a can of coke.

Thank you. :) lol That's the biggest thing right now. Sure, I know it's okay to have 'real' cake IF I wanted it... but I just don't want that. I'd be happier with something healthier or just not as super freaking sweet and processed. I figure that I'll be just as satisfied, plus I get to bake it myself or see if my stepmother would bake one for me. She's super awesome at making cakes and would probably be all about a healthy one if I asked.