Q for those that workout in the morning....

Replies

• I eat a banana or apple before i work out...then 30 mins after i have a shake or oatmeal...it works for me:)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I do not eat before an AM workout - it makes me ill.

I typically eat about an hour after the WO because that's my only option in the rush to get everyone out the door (I eat once I get to work).
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    I usually don't eat first, just have my coffee then workout....then get ready for work, then eat then...off to work! :)
  • I work out each morning at 6:30 AM. I have some yogurt and granola before heading to the gym. After the workout, I usually have a couple of eggs (protein).
  • ssavre
    ssavre Posts: 1 Member
    I personally tend to not eat prior to a workout but sometimes have dire consequences. What I have read and "heard" is to have a piece of fruit or something and for sure drink water prior to exercise. I don't think there is a set time to wait after exercising and I am usually hungry enough to have breakfast immediately after I've cooled off a bit. Hope this helps! :)
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 697 Member
    Get my son on the bus, workout, make a protein shake to eat on my way to work.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 673 Member
    I work out at home, so as soon as I get up, I work out, I take a shower, and THEN I eat breakfast.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    On days I do just cardio I don't eat because then I start with low blood sugar and the body immediately starts to burn from reserves...you burn more fat.

On days I do strength training I eat an hour before. It makes a big difference in my energy level and overall intensity.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    i get up at 4:45 head to the gym, drink a bottle of water come home shower, get the kiddo up, lunches ready, drop him off at daycare then eat a cereal bar or drink a protein shake on the way to work. so probally 1.5-2 hours later. i benn wondering the same thing!
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    I do eat before and have a protein shake after. My breakfast usually is a banana, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, cup of coffee. Then cycling to the gym (about 10 min), doing my lifting, showering, having my protein shake, hit work.

I´ll have fruits/veggies before lunch when I get hungry. And after lifting heavy you bet I am pretty hungry :)
  • shoover10
    shoover10 Posts: 32
    I workout at at 0500 and I am always hungry when I wake up. I eat something light, like toast, and drink water so that I can get through my workout. I can't concentrate on working out if I am hungry, although sometimes I skip the pre-workout snack because I am not hungry, but 99% of the time, I am. I come home, cool down, shower and then eat breakfast as I get ready... unless I run late than I eat around 0830 at work.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Eat when you want to. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless.
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    I tend to agree with those who eat before and after. I have a yoghurt 45 mins before I work out. Then about 45 mins after I workout I have the rest of my breakfast. The advantage of eating something before is that it gets you a nice spike before your workout. The great thing about eating after is that the exercise curbs your appetite. So you can manage to feel full and also satisfied
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    I stick pretty tightly to a morning routine: Awake (between 6:45 and 7:30), wash face, brush teeth, eat a decent breakfast (not only to have energy to work out but also so I can take a multivitamin without wanting to die), meds,

exercise (20 minutes - an hour, more light stuff later in the day), and then shower! :D It's been working well for the past few weeks. Some foods probably don't feel very good digesting while doing really vigorous exercising, but you'll figure that out.

Edit: Also I'm starving after getting out of the shower, so I make a protein shake at that point.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    I workout in the mornings, I have a protein/meal replacement shake 45 minutes before hand.
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    I grab a serving of almonds and water before I work out. If I eat anything I seem to get sick to my stomach. Then a protein shake or eggs about 30 min. afterwards. Good luck and happy and healthy future to you!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    When I get up to go to the gym in the morning, I take my morning meds first and one of them calls for food with it. I eat either a granola bar or something else light and then go. When I come back I may eat some greek yogurt, but not always. I always drink 2 8oz cups of water before and 2 after, though but that's me and my thirst level.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to eat, especially a full breakfast, before getting into your routine but sometimes it can help wake you up a little more, so to speak.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    If you are hungry before the workout, eat something before you work out. I wouldn't recommend a large breakfast, but a piece of fruit, a small bowl of cereal, etc. should be enough to give you some energy/fill you up enough, without making you ill while working out (which some people have problems with).

I have never heard of "eating too soon" after a workout. The recommendation I have typically seen is to eat rather soon after a workout (within an hour, or even 30min) to help your body recover from the workout.

Personally, I tend to eat about a serving of cereal (1 cup) or a piece of toast and half a piece of fruit before working out. I then go work out for 1-2 hours, and eat again right after working out. I usually eat something small as soon as I'm done working out (e.g. a date and 2-3 raw almonds) and then a meal once I'm done showering.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Depends on my mood, sometimes before sometimes right after. Play with it and see what works for you, it's less about what the rest of us are doing......
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 160 Member
    I usually eat a banana before I work out and then eat about a 1/2 hour after workout