Our Daily Calorie Goals: Just thought of a question!

Options
When we start out with MFP, we have a daily calorie intake goal determined by our age, weight, height and other factors. After we lose a few pounds, should we go back and revisit the goal-making process entering our new weight?

It seems counter-productive, for some reason, to keep eating the same amount of calories each day when we weigh less than we did a month before.

Would it be more effective to gradually decrease our caloric intake over time as we continue to lose? I am aware of the body "hoarding" when it gets into starvation mode from lack of calories. I am just saying...

If the equation used to determine our caloric intake uses our weight as a factor, shouldn't we adjust the caloric intake by putting our new weight into the formula every once in a while?

Replies

• myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    MFP will prompt you every 10 lbs (I think it's 10?) to adjust your settings :)

for me, I adjust whenever it prompts me to, or I'll forget LOL
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. As you lose weight your calorie goal will diminish. It takes less fuel to move a smaller body. Also as you become used to you workouts your body will become more efficient too and your calorie burn may actually diminish.

At 10% of weight lost mfp should prompt you to alter your goal. For some reason (at least with me) it only does this once, so I would recommend that every time you reduce your weight by 10% you go back and recalculate your TDEE.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Ah!

Obviously, I have not lost enough weight to have experienced this settings update prompt. LOL

Thanks, everyone, for the info.
  • imasaf
    imasaf Posts: 8
    Options
    I believe if you use the checkin feature and add your weight, mfp will adjust your calorie goal / weightloss rates. I'm at 1200/day so mfp is not going to adjust it any lower... But the more weight i lose, the less I am able to lose each week due to the 1200 minimum.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So, 1200 is the absolute minimum MFP will allow?

Good to know.

Thanks for the info!

:smile: