Overcoming an Eating Disorder...

Options
13»

Replies

• Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to self recover from bulimia.. to me it doesn't seem too hard, right now. I have no major stressers in my life and it is a lot easier to resist binging with all the support on here (Even though I have only had one successful day so far..). I am just worried when I start school back up how I will be able to handle it. I know it is hard, but you can make it. I added you.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am recovering from many years of severe anorexia and bulimia. Do not listen to anything your e.d. tells you! It's all lies and the more times you fight that voice, the less power you give it.
  • Kristen34w
    Options
    I am here too. Glad to know we aren't alone!
  • littleline9
    Options
    YES. Thank you for posting this. I recovered from anorexia a little over a year ago and struggled from EDNOS for a long time after that; for me it's so difficult to find a balance between not-giving-a-crap and micromanaging. The concept of netting 1260 calories to LOSE weight is still a hard one for me to accept! For what I once thought of as 'binging' to qualify as dieting. I'm trying really hard to stay healthy but it's insanely difficulty to not over-restrict.
  • Changinghabits68
    Changinghabits68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing? Anyone still out there?
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have! I struggled with it in grade school and didn't stop self abusing myself with food or other harmful ways until a couple years ago! I'm more than glad to be doing it the healthy way. I'd love to be friends with anyone who wants to especially dealing with a situation similar to mine!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    While I don't have an eating disorder, I can vouch for www.therecoverygroup.org as a DEFINITE help for people who want to break the chains of addiction. I am an alcoholic, and that website has DEFINITELY helped me work through the 12 steps with my sponsor by giving me additional insight that is not readily available in the two books of AA (The Big Book - Alcoholics Anonymous, and the 12 and 12 - The 12 steps and the 12 traditions).

Changing thought patterns can be difficult without help. Psychologists and psychiatrists can only help to the point that you are bluntly honest with them, and THAT is hard! I know, because I went to a psychologist to be treated for depression, and only told him what I thought was pertinent.

I think that you will find alot of helpful people on this site, but some may not understand the cycle of addiction, and view it as just lacking willpower. If you check out the recoverygroup, look at some of the stories posted there. You will see some of yourself in each of their stories. I did too, and all I had to do was substitute the term 'eating disorder' with the term 'alcohol'.

It wasn't until I started working with a sponsor, though, that I realized that I needed to be BRUTALLY honest with myself, and with him, if I was to succeed. I have been, and I continue to be, for I get a 24 hour reprieve from my addiction contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition. Thus, that rigorous honesty is a daily necessity, as is trusting in God.

Six months ago you would not have heard me say that statement, ESPECIALLY the last part, as I WAS an atheist who despised the very idea of a god of any sort. God, however, believed in me, and He loved (and still loves) me enough to put the people in my life at just the right time to bring me to HIM Not only did He remove my desire to drink, but he completely lifted my depression, just in time to save me from myself.

Please, anyone who is suffering from addiction, feel free to add me as a friend, and I will help you in any way I can.
  • hummus40
    hummus40 Posts: 72
    Options
    so hard to admit...
    then when you admit it...
    its so hard to deal with it...
    so hard to stop it...

consumes so much of your life...
    so self consuming...in a totally awful way...

i have been anorectic for over 20yrs.
    i am a mother of 5...
    and i am once again, in the "thick" of it.
    my posted pic on mfp was when i was out of the thinking pattern...
    it was when i was 30lbs heavier...and some say that i looked healthy in that picture, but I dont see that when i look at it.

i look at myself now and see fat.
    and i hate that.
    but i cannot stop.

so, yes...my heart goes out to you who posted this...b/c i wouldnt wish this on anyone
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I started my first diet at 13. I am now 36. By aged 18, at 5'11, I was 5 stones (70Ibs) and given 24 hours to live.
    It has been a constant battle since with restricting, laxative abuse (kidney failure 3 times and heart failure), self induced vomiting and exercise obsessions. I have phases where I manage to stop and don't even check the scales, and where my weight has risen to 140Ibs +.

I am back to being a bit obsessed by the scale (started with a new relationship with a naturally skinny man), and having issues with vomiting in the evenings if I feel too full or bloated.

I am trying really hard to get a grip and just find a healthy balance, and just maintain the sort of weight I am. There are quite a few on here, still totally caught up in their strivings to lose and lose and to starve. I don't want that. I need people who understand the scale obsession, exercise obsession, a generally obsessive personality and binge eating issues.

At my worst I was living on half a rice cake a day.
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    I've had a problem with overeating like crazy, but I never looked at it as an eating disorder before...