Kids say the darndest things...

Options

Replies

• tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, my son has said similar things. Don't worry about it! We were at my polling place voting in the presidential election (I brought him with me, he was about 4) and there was a little person working the polls. My son said when he walked by, "Why does that little boy have a grown up head?" He assumed it was a little kid but the full-size head threw him off. I was mortified, but hey, kids are just curious! I explained that people come in all shapes and sizes, and that this person was a grown up man but he was just shorter than other people, that's all.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    They're just kids, it can be embarrassing but people just think "meh they're kids". I personally love how curious kids are, the always stare at my pink hair and piercings.

It kinda bugs me when I hear them ask their parents questions about it and they tell them to wheesht.

I mean how hard is it to say "She dyes it that colour" or "some people like to look like that", or "people come in all different colours", "people come in all different shapes and sizes", or in relation to pregnancy, "it's rude to ask that about a lady you don't know".

Kids aren't bad behaved or bratty, they just don't have the idea of manners that we have. If we want them to be our version of polite we have to teach them!
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago, a girl in my daughter's class asked me if I was going to have a baby. I wasn't. I was 30 lbs overweight. I told her I had a really big dinner, lol. I wasn't upset with the girl. I realize I gain weight in the belly area and it would make kids think I'm pregnant. I think most people realize young children don't have filters yet and and are going to commit social faux paus.

This was when I came into the classroom to help out, so the child's mother wasn't there to handle it. I'm glad because I wouldn't want her to feel embarrassed. I for one wouldn't have needed an apology, but I imagine that apologizing can help teach the child that pointing things out like that isn't polite public behavior.

Off topic, but this reminds me of when I was actually pregnant. I was very pregnant and working at a library. A boy who came in regularly, but hasn't seen me in a few months came in and noticed my belly. He whispered in one of those whispers that carries through the whole building; "Boy that lady ate a lot this summer." LOL
  • get_fit_Milena
    get_fit_Milena Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How about when kids say the loveliests things to YOU? My son picked up my shirt the other day a tiny bit, poked my belly (aka fat) and said, in all seriousness like a doctor would "Mama, I think there is one more baby in there, just one more" I've had three, so I could blame it on the fact that maybe he wants a younger brother but truth is, kids say it like they see it, so I think it has more to do with my stomach. I laughed it off, the little bugger!
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My daughter has never done anything like this in public but sometimes she wants me to take a bath with her and one night, about 2 years ago, we were in the tub having a great time and I was ready to be out. The water was still warm for her but getting cold for me so I stood up to get out and she said "so thats why the water was so high". Then the next time she asked me to get in with her she said "I like it when you take a bath with me because you make the water really high Mommy".

I just had to keep repeating to myself in my head...she's only 5...she's only 5...I can laugh about it now but at the time it wasn't so funny.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Motivation and support??
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My dd is 13 and has ADHD. I have learned to embrace her quirkiness. Your little boy is five so its not like he knew he was saying anything hurtful. He was just being a curious kid. Even with ADHD, he will learn what is appropriate and what isn't in due time. Let him the bright curious kid that he is. He will have enough teachers and other adults in his life who are going to try to rein him in. I remember once my nephew was with my mother at the grocery store. He was probably four or five at the time. He looked at the man next to him and said loudly to my mom, "that man sure is bwak". And the man looked at him and said, "and I'm mean too". I have enjoyed telling that story for years, but my poor little nephew was probably scared when he said that.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My son is now 8 and the worse was when he asked me "Mommy are you fat b/c you dont exercise? Are you not making good food decisions?" Gotta love that the schools are teaching them young to take care of their bodies though :)

That is actually so awesome that he is a child and understands the correlation between making good food decisions and exercise!! I'd be pretty proud!
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old son and about 6 months ago we were sitting at a restaurant together and he looked over at the table next to us and said, "LOOK AT THE LADY WITH THE PRETTY BROWN FACE. SHE IS THE SAME COLOR AS OUR PRESIDENT." Now, my son just made an observation so I was not upset with him, what I was upset was with how the woman reacted.

She came over to the table where my son and I were sitting and told me I was raising a racist child! Before I could even say anything she said, "Makes sense your son is already racist, he has blond hair and blue eyes just like his Dad."

I stood up, smiled at the woman and said, "So you are upset my son called your pretty and compared you to our president? Nothing out of my son's mouth was racist. However, pointing out my son and I are racist due to our blond hair and blue eyes is a stereotype and is sad you pegged us just by the color of our eyes and hair. Sad really."

Her husband stood up, who was a mountain of a man and said, "You are right. My wife was out of line. Thank you for handling this with tact. He then paid my bill for our meal.

His wife complained to the manager that she sat next to racist people and would not be back. How do I know? My best friend owned the establishment.

The more you know....

Wow.. Good for you.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids, but for some reason they are always drawn to me---be if the kids of friends, family, or even strangers.

While vacationing with my family in Florida, there was this 3-year-old girl who took to me almost instantly. I just can't explain it. We were in the pool and her mother was pacing back and forth someplace else on a cell phone while her aunt and granny watched from the 2nd floor balcony of their hotel room. This sorta worried me...so I just let her follow me around the pool to ensure she didn't drown---though for 3 she was an AMAZING swimmer.

Anyways was time goes on she hugs up to me and yells as loudly as ever, 'Yours Skins a different color than mines! Why?' She's black and I am white. I wasn't quite sure how to respond, though it was probably the most obvious to just tell the truth.

On another note, I was watching this one little girl (friend of the fam's kid) who was 7 going on 30 mouth wise. She sees me walking around in shorts, looks at me with disgust and says, 'Why yo legs so fat?'...Oh WHY didn't I choke her?
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Kids are innocent & not usually mean. (If they do say something inappropriate - explain how it could upset or offend that person & also if they see, hear something different to wait until you are in the car or by yourself to ask about it)
    It is the adults that we should be speaking of.
    I was in a line up and the woman ahead of me asked the cashier how far along she was in her pregnancy. The cashier said she wasn't...the woman said, "You look it" I was embarrassed for the cashier. I said, "Well that was rude" The woman walked away and the cashier smiled at me and said, "don't worry, I've been asked that before." I said perhaps that woman could have just appologized.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Motivation and support??

I didn't really know where else to put it...the reason I was even so embarrassed is since being on this site I've become a lot more sensitive to those who struggle with their weight (more than I do), so I was kinda asking for support that I did the right thing in the situation.
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm one that has people ask me when I'm "due". (Yes, quite a large belly, for my body proportions)

If I'm in a good mood, I'll laugh & say 18 years ago. (My only child is almost 19... yikes, where has the time gone?!)

Sometimes I just ignore the question, or shake my head no & comment about the weather.(change topics).

If the person is a stranger in the store, I do not think it is completely rude to ignore the comment. Especially if I am saving them some embarrassement.

You could certainly offer a small smile & a "sorry".- Maybe explain that "He's at that age that he is interested in learning about other people".. or "He recently had a teacher/aunt/friend that was pregnant". Then, in front of them remind son that "We talked about that, people come in all shapes & sizes. It's how nice of a person they are that counts".

Providing that you do/did have a talk about people being all different sizes... could lead to a teaching situation about disabilities and such (cruches/wheelchairs).. .. That there are all kinds of people, Nice people, mean people, people who are sometimes sad, sometimes happy... etc. And teaching him that offering a smile to a sad person can sometimes be the best gift.

But that's hard, because you have to balance it with the "stranger danger" talks they need to learn.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids but I say the darndest things.. I once asked a lady how far along she was, she wasn't prego. I was mortified..

LOL...I gotta love it, cause I stick my foot in my mouth all the time. At least kids have an excuse. I was at the doctor's office last year to be tested for menopause, and the nurse brought me back and said, "Are you excited about your ultrasound today". I was ready to shoot her! ;0)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my daughter, when she was 2 was into this silliest names ever thing and we would make up names. One time, she screams as loud as she can as I'm getting her out of her carseat "BONKEESHA!!!" as a group of black people walk by.... Yea, that was AWESOME. I was mortified to say the least, but we laugh about it now, 8 years later, but ONLY because I know she meant no harm.
  • ssforcey
    ssforcey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old son and about 6 months ago we were sitting at a restaurant together and he looked over at the table next to us and said, "LOOK AT THE LADY WITH THE PRETTY BROWN FACE. SHE IS THE SAME COLOR AS OUR PRESIDENT." Now, my son just made an observation so I was not upset with him, what I was upset was with how the woman reacted.

She came over to the table where my son and I were sitting and told me I was raising a racist child! Before I could even say anything she said, "Makes sense your son is already racist, he has blond hair and blue eyes just like his Dad."

I stood up, smiled at the woman and said, "So you are upset my son called your pretty and compared you to our president? Nothing out of my son's mouth was racist. However, pointing out my son and I are racist due to our blond hair and blue eyes is a stereotype and is sad you pegged us just by the color of our eyes and hair. Sad really."

Her husband stood up, who was a mountain of a man and said, "You are right. My wife was out of line. Thank you for handling this with tact. He then paid my bill for our meal.

His wife complained to the manager that she sat next to racist people and would not be back. How do I know? My best friend owned the establishment.

The more you know....

Wow! I am SO glad her husband stood up and #1 saw what was right and #2 spoke up. Yay for him.
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! My son says that about EVERY person Man or Women we see who has a big belly! -he will say Whoa! He/She has a big baby in their belly!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like it when my kids make comments that can be heard-- maybe it will be the the extra push someone needs to make a change. But don't get me wrong, I don't like feelings to be hurt.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yes gotta love it. I have talked to my kids many times about not pointing things out, but they are who they are. My 5 year old asks questions to no end and is blunt. One day he told a guy whose ears stuck out that he had funny looking ears-he just told him it was because his mom pulled on them all the time when he was naughty. It is my firm belief that no matter how many times I talk to him about it, its his perosnality and he will continue to embarass me.-such has adjusting himself in front of the church when singing with his Sunday school class :)
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My son who is almost 6 rarely says anything embarassing in public about others however if i have to take him into a changing room, quite a lot at the moment as non of my clothes fit he is a horror. He ha a vairiety of things he says nice and loud which always result in chuckles from neighbouring cubicles. He likes to mention the colour of my underwear, my wobbly belly etc.