weight gain before period?

Options
This is frustrating as heck.

I'm trying to know if this is real or not, but I hear that you can gain weight before your period. I've been staying within my calories, I even upped them from 1200 to 1500 where it says they should be (uck, that's just too much food sometimes) and I WAS seeing the weight come off quicker. But now I'm seeing the numbers go up slightly in the past few days. I know my period is coming very soon and wondered if the two might be related. I thought that was a myth but I figure it might be true since I've been staying within my calorie goal.

Replies

• future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    happens to me every month. but by the end of the 3rd day or so its gone. so annoying!
  • FoodAllergyQueen
    Options
    I gain anywhere between 1 and 4 pounds the week before my period...BUT it luckily (knock on wood) always goes away. I also love salty foods so that doesn't help.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    mine is 7lb! and it stays with me for about 3 days ...
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    Yep, it happens:) Sometimes 6 lbs or more. I do not weigh myself around that time because although I know the cause I find it discouraging. By the third day in it seems to disappear:)
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes. Mine is between 3-5 pounds. Actually because my cycle is so erratic (23-46 days long) I can use weighing myself daily to get a very good guess as to when my period will show up.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can retain up to 7lbs of water weight before and during my time of the month, but it really is just water weight. It will come off when your period ends, so don't panic about it.
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Not to be rude but I feel like this topic is covered at least once a day.....
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am going through this right now...grrrrr
  • twilight47
    Options
    yes you can gain weight with your period, it is normally fluid retention. drink nettle or dandelion tea, it can help.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs. last time.... it goes away after, but still...
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I always weigh heavier in the few days before my period, usually 2-3 pounds. It magically disappears when my period begins. :)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, for us ladies our weight fluctuates all over the place around TOM. I usually get really bloated 2 days before and during. Try not to step on the scale during this time either, its a lie.
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    Thank you for starting this topic!! I was going to ask last week and then forgot. I was so frustrated with the weight gain even though I knew it would come back off in a few days!

Oh, the joys of womanhood.
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Happen to me on Sunday..I was up two pounds. Its all just water weight
  • sarahcrush
    Options
    Exactly the same happened to me last week. I put on 3 1/2 lbs literally overnight, it then took 5 days (and no giving into cravings) to get back to where I had been at the beginning. Very disheartening but I think it happens to most of us
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    3 lbs every month since I started! This is why I only weigh myself two days after TOM ends. Better for my mental health!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Most definitely can happen. Mine is due next week and I have already gained 3lbs even with eating right, drinking water, and exercise. Should be gone after the first day or two of ur cycle. Keep up the work and you will lose the extra weight and them some!
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mine is 7lb! and it stays with me for about 3 days ...

me too! :sad:
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    yes ma'am! I gain 3-5 the week of my period. I do not weigh that week or the week after!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I honestly want to know - did none of you notice this when you were younger? Didn't you ever see Pamprin commercials? I pretty much knew this cycle by the time I was 13. Were you lucky enough that this didn't happen when you were younger? I really don't understand how grown women have never noticed that they retain water (not gain fat) for a few days during their cycles.