Ladies - Sports bra help

Options
I'm really in need of a sports bra, but I have never used them before and don't know where to start! Any recommendations?

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I like the Champion line at Target for price and quality when I am feeling frugal. And I love Nike for comfort and support.

But since this will be your first one, I would go to any sports store and just pick up a ton of them and try them on until you find a style and fit that you like. You can jump up and down and maybe even do some short sprints in the dressing room area to get the feel of the different bras before you choose. Good luck!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My favorite sports bras are Victoria Secret and Nike. I have DD's and def need a lot of support so I've tried a lot and those are the one that work best and are the most confortable for me.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you live anywhere close to a specialized women's fitness clothing store, go there and get fitted.
    If not, go to a place...try them on by jumping up and down.

I personally like Moving Comfort and Nike.

I will not run in Champion or the target brand. They don't have enough support for me (running) and I am not a big girl up front.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I second the Target ones (I am not a runner though so that might make a difference).....They are my favorite for price and the quality isn't too bad (but I'm a small size so that may make a difference).
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you're bigger than a DD, I suggest the Enell. And even if you aren't, it might be a good investment.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    My absolute favorite sports bra is the Saucony Motion Sensor. Second to the Motion Sensor, IMO, is Champion's Shape series, which you can sometimes snag at the discount stores (I usually find them at Ross). I also like Patagonia's Active Mesh Bra for lower impact workouts like yoga. All of these bras are the type that can be worn alone. No show thru and the Patagonia bra is quite pretty.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Mine are from Primark, nothing fancy at all, but I've not got very big breasts (I'm a C) and know that a good sports bra can be much harder to find if you have a larger chest. If you do, do what yesthisisme suggested. Go into a sports store, try some bras on and move around in them. The key is to find a bra where your breasts don't jiggle up and down when you move, that feels comfortable on and doesn't irritate your skin.
  • Ericacea
    Ericacea Posts: 45
    Options
    I find it's good to have a few different types. I wear compression sports bras for high impact things like running or zumba, but they tend to be uncomfortably tight for moderate to light exercise. The bras you try should say whether they are designed for high, moderate, or low impact exercises. I wear moderate for things like rowing and cycling, and low for stretching-related workouts like yoga and lifting (though if you're doing arm/chest lifting you might want a moderate impact bra). Make sure you get a good fit, or there will be chaffing!
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need help too! Any advice from big chested women? I have about 40 lbs to lose and so I don't wan't to buy and expensive one that will only fit me a month or two. For now, if I'm going to be running, I have to wear two sports bras. It's horrible!
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am a DDD and have not found one that works that great yet. I have to wear 2 bras and usually wear a cami over that to help hold things in place :ohwell:
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're buying it for. If for running you need a lot more support than for a spin class or pilates or something. It also depends on if you're large on top or small. SeeJaneRun.com has a good selection of high impact support bras for larger breasted women. What I recommend is go and try on several styles. While in the dressing room jump up and down and do all sorts of movement. you don't want it cutting in or chafing anywhere. Good luck!
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Champion from Academy! Great support, no jiggle when you jump! Very comfortable.
  • andforpoise
    andforpoise Posts: 185
    Options
    I really LOVE lululemon's tata tamer for running... but I'm fairly busty! They do have a few others that are good too... probably in the 30-60 dollar range. I think I paid 38 for mine on sale - so not too bad!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the Champion line at Target for price and quality when I am feeling frugal. And I love Nike for comfort and support.

But since this will be your first one, I would go to any sports store and just pick up a ton of them and try them on until you find a style and fit that you like. You can jump up and down and maybe even do some short sprints in the dressing room area to get the feel of the different bras before you choose. Good luck!

Definitely ^ this.

Try a few on, jump up & down. Some "high impact" bras are a joke (Lily of France). Whenever I see very stretchy or tiny straps, these are yoga bras, NOT cardio.

Kohl's has some nice Champion ones ($35 range). You can always double up, if you find your bra is not supportive enough.
  • pf3855
    pf3855 Posts: 31
    Options
    JC Penney's also has a good selection of Sports Bras. I personally like Champion brand and you can get some good deals on their website. If you have a bra store (not Victoria's Secret) near you, go get fitted properly and buy a good one, especially if you are a runner. I don't run but I do need one that offers support as I'm a DD cup. Nike's are great also. You might have to shop around a bit to find a brand that fits you well and does what you need it to then buy a couple so you will always have a clean one. The catalog/website www.athleta.com (not affiliated) has a great selection also.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am a DDD and have not found one that works that great yet. I have to wear 2 bras and usually wear a cami over that to help hold things in place :ohwell:

ENELL. I'm a Gcup. 1 Enell is plenty of support.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Fiona bra -- love these.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends how well endowed you are, if you are blessed in this area, ENELL hands down the best compression ever.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need help too! Any advice from big chested women? I have about 40 lbs to lose and so I don't wan't to buy and expensive one that will only fit me a month or two. For now, if I'm going to be running, I have to wear two sports bras. It's horrible!

Enell are supposed to be great. I've just heard ...... their sizes start bigger than I am. These are pricey, buy 1 and was it out every time.