Dangerous carbs

Options

Replies

• i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't believe carbs are dangerous.

I do believe that people's bodies are different from one another. I have insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome, I am trying to find out what true calorie intake I need to have, I know it is less than what is recommended on MFP because I have stalled major for 3 weeks now. There was a study that showed that women with pcos bodies burned less calories than a person without pcos. At the rate of approximately 300 calories a day less. I am going to try to find what works for me, no fad diets, but what calorie intake and expenditure will help me to lose weight.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your family on their success!

Thanks for sharing your post, but:
    It is not a secret to anyone that bread and sugar will make you gain weight,

^ This satement is void of context and dosage. Neither of the above items will cause weight gain unless you're eating in excess of your calorie expenditure.

Or unless you have a carbohydrate intolerance and then you can stay under calories all you want and can still gain weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Was that to me? I've made a few posts about my carbohydrate intolerance but it's a lack of digestive enzymes in my case. So if that was to me, yes it's different but I don't try to push my way off on anyone else. I have been diagnosed through medical tests with lack of these enzymes and am under a physicians supervision and feeling great.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If carbs didn't matter, then people wouldn't lose weight eating bacon cheeseburgers, steak, and eggs all while eating an unrestricted amount of calories. Carbs do matter for those unlucky enough not to be blessed genetically.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I :heart: carbs
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    one-does-not-simply-skip-carbs.jpg
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your family's success. Everybody is different so it's great to see what works for some! It's a shame some people have to attack others for stating what worked for them.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of attacks on this post...

I personally feel better off of most carbs, but I also have a gluten intolerance. I also cannot lose weight while eating an abundance of carbs, even staying under my calories and exercising every day. When I lower them, I do better.

I don't think the OP was trying to tell anybody what to do, they were just stating what worked for a person in their family. I know somebody posted the article about not everybody being different, but I don't really believe this. If everybody was the same, nobody would have lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, or be allergic to nuts. Therefore, those people cannot follow the same diet as somebody who can eat whatever they want. I personally feel 100x better by only getting my carbs from fruits and veggies and not breads, pastas, rice, etc. That's just me, though. MAYBE I'M DIFFERENT.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If carbs didn't matter, then people wouldn't lose weight eating bacon cheeseburgers, steak, and eggs all while eating an unrestricted amount of calories. Carbs do matter for those unlucky enough not to be blessed genetically.

Bacon cheeseburgers have a bun which has carbs and therefore will make the person eating it fat
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Bacon cheeseburgers have a bun which has carbs and therefore will make the person eating it fat

Excluding the bun of course.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Excluding the bun of course.

Just making sure
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It soundss alot like a diabetic diet. I was on this until I recenlty was taken off being a diabetic. I watch my diet and exercise regularly to control my sugar levels.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a source of "easy" energy, they are important for our system, but if we eat too much of it, it can easily turn into fat.
    In my case, I need about 6 portions of carbs a day. One portion is 15 g of carbs, so it makes 90g a day.

Congratulations on finding something that works for you!

My body likes the easy energy! I do lots of long, endurance-type cardio. Without carbs, I would doubtlessly hit a wall pretty quickly when I train. I always have between 200-300g of carbs a day. I feel great and haven't had any trouble managing my weight.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I'm a special snowflake, my momma wouldn't lie to me! :cry:
  • mrshayes1584
    Options
    i love carbs, i would marry them if i could. NEVER giving them up.
    Girl that ring is huge and beautiful,you know carbs can't buy you that right?lol
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i love carbs, i would marry them if i could. NEVER giving them up.
    Girl that ring is huge and beautiful,you know carbs can't buy you that right?lol

this is great :)
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Make way for Captain Dangercarb...

BurgerBARCROFT_450x316.jpg
  • amandamay71
    amandamay71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOL.. great pic!!
  • jstanislawski
    Options
    I started eating low carb in the last few months and it has literally changed my life.

I probably have been on diets at least 20-25 times in my life and could not stick with it long term.

For me, carbohydrates are very addictive and cause my blood sugar to spike and make me hungrier.

Now that I eat low carb, I do not have wild blood sugar swings and have absolutely no cravings...

It works for me.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Are we here for support or to make fun of people and be little them?

These kind of post do not help anyone reach their goal, if you have nothing nice to respond with keep it to your self please. People are sharing experiences and what may or may not work for them. Weight loss is a hard thing to deal with for many of us.

I just ask that we all play nice.
    [/quote]

I agree !!! ^^^ Geez, educate her don't ridicule her. The only good you are doing is making other people laugh at her expense and probably make it so she's afraid to ever post again. There are ways to guide the uninformed without getting out the torches and pitchforks :)
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    A carb once stabbed me in the eye with a pencil.