IS MFP TOO MUCH LIKE FB????????

Options

Replies

• nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm here strictly for the T&A.

that's why we love you ....

For me its everything I like it all really the support and everything that comes along with it.

I also think that the message boards are a form of socializing like this topic has nothing to do with working out just saying :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Doesn't posting on the forums support the FB-esqueness of the site? I mean, you aren't exactly asking for fitness advice...

if FB had forums
  • yoovie
    Options
    b/c obviously laughing out loud and losing weight should NEVER EFFING MIX

who decides their entire new lifestyle is going to be BUSINESS ONLY

geez

allergic to fun much?

I LOL'd at your fear of laughing aloud btw, like really extra loudly.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I'm here strictly for the T&A.
    ssssooooo......mirrors????? O..o
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Exactly. You use your MPF for what you use it for. As long as you're getting the benefits from it, who cares if it's like Facebook?

I LOVE your hair. Very cute.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It is what you make it. Naturally if you develop bonds and friendships on here you are going to eventually go beyond commenting on "good burn" and "great logging." You come to care about the lives of those in your Fam. For the most part the uniting theme/goal that keeps us all on MFP is health and fitness which distinguishes it from FB, G+ and Twitter, among others. To the extent peeps drift too far afield from this goal on a consistent basis or bring constant drama there is an easy solution. DELETION.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't even use FB anymore. I like my friends here better. They are like minded - Fun AND into fitness or lifestyle changes.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    2% social; 98% fitness/weightloss related. I tend to delete those who are too personal in their updates/statuses. I'm not really here for that. MFP is my getaway from real life and I like it being focused on fitness for the most part.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You may be here for business but I love my group of friends and that I'm able to have stupid/silly/totally unfitness related conversations with them all day long. Keeps me from strngling people at work.

This.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the social aspect of MFP, then don't read the forums. It seems pretty simple. For me, I get a LOT out of the social aspect of MFP. My MFP friends hold me accountable for doing what I say I will. If I say I'm going to work out Tuesday night, they message me and ask if I did so I don't slack off. If I start eating badly, they call me on it. This is the support I need. If I could do it alone, I wouldn't be here.

There are tons of things on the forums that I find distasteful or unnecessary. I choose to ignore those. Who knows what might help another person or make a trip to MFP worthwhile? Maybe they need a laugh where I didn't. Whatever. Nothing makes me read the threads I don't like.

But I do like to give back, so I read the threads that I think I can answer so I can help others. This has led to me gaining tons of MFP friends that I can help and who can help me through the journey. That's what makes MFP work for me.

Hope that answers your question.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do see people's posts that are not entirely fitness or nutrition related, however, it all speaks to your mindset in relation to the bigger goals of fitness/nutrition. I'd say it's mostly oriented to encouragement and business. I can say that it's a bit like working out with a buddy. Chatting and cutting up enhances the business at hand, which can be slightly tedious.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish it were more like it. I like to see what else is going on in the lives of my MFPs other than just their weight loss goals. Maybe we have other similar interests and other things to share :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my ratio of serious logging posts to silly posts are probably 2/5. :tongue: :laugh:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I think it is like FB for healthy ppl - Like facebook it's customized & what you make it. I like the social network. I LOVE it here & recommend it to everyone who says 'how'd you do it?' I got a 'what's your secret' the other day... secret? I got no secrets, it's posted right here
  • la8dcruz
    la8dcruz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is what you make it. Naturally if you develop bonds and friendships on here you are going to eventually go beyond commenting on "good burn" and "great logging." You come to care about the lives of those in your Fam. For the most part the uniting theme/goal that keeps us all on MFP is health and fitness which distinguishes it from FB, G+ and Twitter, among others. To the extent peeps drift too far afield from this goal on a consistent basis or bring constant drama there is an easy solution. DELETION.

Couldn't agree with you more!!! :smile:
  • yoovie
    Options
    also... facebook is... you know... people I know.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I joined to count calories.
    I log on everyday to do so.
    And I stay on because of the friends I have made here.
    It gives me a very good reason to pop on during day and a lot of the time I learn some new recipe or about a new gadget or workout or whatever. The social side is a huge perk.

We can all do this alone, but why not join together and cheer each other on? I don't know about you, but seeing my friend's successes and burns encourages and drives me to the same.

And yea, we cut it up. But that's what friends are for :flowerforyou:
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You may be here for business but I love my group of friends and that I'm able to have stupid/silly/totally unfitness related conversations with them all day long. Keeps me from strngling people at work.

I totally agree!!!!!!! My mfp friends are awesome!!!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It is a lot like FB. I have accounts with both. I like them both for different reasons. I have family and friends all over the country, so I like to keep in touch with them on FB and see what is going on in their lives besides through Christmas cards.
    I like this site to meet people that are like me and trying to lose weight. I do like meeting people from all over on here. There are a couple of people I have gotten to know even though we never met. I try to avoid the drama. This site is as much or as little that you want to get out of it.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Being as I am far from a serious person I think my numbers are more along the same lines as Qarol's honestly... I spend most of my time socializing on here, but I always know that if I have a serious question my group of friends will be able to answer/support w/e it is I need.