My WTF moment this morning...

Options

Replies

• bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well when I worked at a homeless shelter for 18-21 year olds, I was routinely mistaken for one of the residents. It's like... oh thanks, I'm so glad you think I'm homeless, but in fact I work here.

Also, teens have no concept of how old people are other than "young old" (over 18, under 30) and "old old" (anyone older than that). Now that I work with kids, I get told I must be in my mid thirties (I'm 28) because I'm a therapist, so I must be "old"
  • timmomo
    timmomo Posts: 35
    Options
    I run a residential program for 17 year old boys. today, two of them were talking to me when one said, "hey, you've got a bit of a belly going on there". The other kid says "No he doesn't! Dude you try to look that good when you're like 53 for 54!"

yeah, I'm 41!

No offense meant to anyone around that age.

So which is worse...being told you have a belly or that you look 13 years older than you are??

Ha. 'Em kids don't know nuttin'. Hope they get jobs before they exit their teens--while they know it all. lol :laugh:
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    PS: Young'uns often figure that being 30 is the same thing as being 40 or 50. I'm sure they were not trying to age you! :laugh:
    [/quote]

This, i get from my sonsna his friends WOW You are sooooooo old. I am 31 LOL
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It goes both ways, as I'm sure those 17 year olds look/act like they are 12! Just remember that "old" is always 10 years older than you are (no matter what your age)! At least because of your gender, you don't get asked constantly when you are due...!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    lol, I worked at one of those for a long time and now at a high school. the kids think I'm 25, and a few have said that I would just be scary if I didn't have my belly making me so jolly. and yeah I played Santa this year, but next year they'll have to find a new one :happy:
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    They're 17, so to them anyone over the age of 25 looks old! Don't be offended by that.

This

Great story though.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't look in your 50's. Not even on profile pic, and we all know hunting pics are kinda rough looking! Since it was a teenage boy I wouldn't worry about either comment. To them insults are like affection. I don't quite understand why, but they are. I woulda just told him that you can lose the belly but he will still be goofy looking or something like that. But then again, I'm not very PC.
  • Elenazuniga
    Options
    I'm 27 and my ten year old always does this to me.. lol.. he makes it seem as if I was raised in the 17th century.. Lmbo.. don't take it to heart..
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I distinctly remember being in high school and thinking that 30 is old... however now that I am 30 I don't think so at all lol.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    o.m. gosh, my son asked me a question just as i read that and couldn't answer it because i doubled over laughing, must be gutted but so funny. and just for the record, you don't look 41....younger! (just incase you were wandering)
  • Richdogg38
    Richdogg38 Posts: 152
    Options
    I run a residential program for 17 year old boys. today, two of them were talking to me when one said, "hey, you've got a bit of a belly going on there". The other kid says "No he doesn't! Dude you try to look that good when you're like 53 for 54!"

yeah, I'm 41!

No offense meant to anyone around that age.

So which is worse...being told you have a belly or that you look 13 years older than you are??
    We all look old to a 17 year old. Don't sweat it!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    so, this is hilarious!

a few things, though....

kids are dumb. i have a 13, 10 and 9 year old. DUMB! just keep that in mind.

kids are rude. i know, i live with the little life-suckers and i harp constantly on how to be kind and considerate and they just look at me and wonder when i'm going to feed them next. *sigh*

lastly, they're wonderful lights in our life. they keep things real and don't fret to say what's on their minds usually. just laugh and pretend to be forgetful. start calling them a different name every time you talk to them and just say, "oops, i forgot. my memory is slipping in my old age!" i do it and it makes them mad. score 1 for mom!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow. I think I'd be more offended/hurt by the age factor than anything. I agree with the person above that said teenagers are stupid/dumb. LOL
  • barefootexecutive
    Options
    hysterical. but truth is that teens have zero concept of age. zero.

and I agree with previous poster - you can lose the belly - not the years

and with Mocha who says you do NOT even look 41. seriously.

I was with an associate the other day that has just lost 40 lbs and looking really cute (not at goal yet) - and has a 2 yr old and the security lady at the airport asked when she was due.

OUCH

lesson there is 'don't wear fitted stuff until your belly is ready for it' - LOL - eek
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What's sad to me is that the kids were rude enough to say something in the first place, but that just my opinion. rudeness is my biggest pet peeve
  • tanya_613
    tanya_613 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lol!!! kids are so funny!!! Dont be offended by either... for them to even have made those comments means they more than likely think you are "kinda cool" as cool as an adult can be...

This coming from a teacher....
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    lol, I worked at one of those for a long time and now at a high school. the kids think I'm 25, and a few have said that I would just be scary if I didn't have my belly making me so jolly. and yeah I played Santa this year, but next year they'll have to find a new one :happy:

:) love seeing this.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ?? maybe without the belly you will look 13 years younger?? Thats how i would take it..motivation to show those young'ns how its done.. at "your age" lol
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ROFL!!! Sorry laughing out loud here :D
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    so, this is hilarious!

a few things, though....

kids are dumb. i have a 13, 10 and 9 year old. DUMB! just keep that in mind.

kids are rude. i know, i live with the little life-suckers and i harp constantly on how to be kind and considerate and they just look at me and wonder when i'm going to feed them next. *sigh*

lastly, they're wonderful lights in our life. they keep things real and don't fret to say what's on their minds usually. just laugh and pretend to be forgetful. start calling them a different name every time you talk to them and just say, "oops, i forgot. my memory is slipping in my old age!" i do it and it makes them mad. score 1 for mom!

You are awesome. We would get along just fine IRL. :)