Hummus?

Options
Who loves hummus? I have never tried it but I want to. What does it taste like (obviously, hummus, but what is it similar to)? Are there certain brands/kinds that are better than others?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I know for me I thought it sounded gross. But when I tried it I was surprised. I like it really Spicy. It's hard to describe the taste, it's a smooth, thick dip that really takes on the taste of what ever spices and herbs are in it. It''s not that expensive you can usually get it for under $3 so if you hate it through it out. Sabra - Supremely Spicy Hummus is my favorite.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like the Tribe brand. The roasted red pepper is good and I also like the original. If you really get into eating it a lot, its very easy to make your own. We used to make it in a blender in college. I am part Lebanese so I grew up eating it every Sunday at my Grandmother's house. Nothing compares to her's but many of the brands out there are very good.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of a bean dip...and I wouldn't recommend buying one, make your own :wink: that way you can control the unneccessary addition of sodium and calories. PLUS you can make it to whatever flavor you like! I love mine with red chili flakes....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Try it. It doesn't really compare to other things. Someone told me it's like "lemon-flavored bean dip" and that sounded ridiculously gross to me. But upon trying it, I LOVE it.

Flavored ones from Sabra are my favorite. I especially like the artichoke and spinach flavor.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love it- use about 1 T on any type of bread for a sandwich in place of mayo. It's hard to describe the taste- almost like a dip. It's good for you (made from chickpeas) and has the good fat. Sabra is the most popular and if you like it you can buy the big tub at sams' club. Try it!
  • joyann74
    joyann74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it. If you like chick peas you will like it too. I like roasted garlic and red pepper. I eat it with carrots and on toast.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I LOVE HUMMUS. I grew up eating it. I make my own, but if I do purchase it....I go for Sabra toasted pine nut.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love Sabra roasted pine nuts flavor. Other brands aren't as smooth for my liking. That said, it's an acquired taste and many people don't care for it.

I also love it on a sandwich with tomato and cheese :) Yum!
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I just looked up some recipes and it appears ridiculously easy to make! I may have to try making some this weekend!
  • stephanienicolee
    stephanienicolee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love it! I recommend roasted red pepper :)
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sing it with me: Hummus is that doggy in the window?

^_^

Sabra brand is my fave, from the hummus on the go offerings.
    Lovely as a dip for your crunchy pretzels, or as a thin schmear across the platform of your favorite sammich or wrap.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I love it! My favorite is the roasted garlic flavor. The texture is comparable to bean dip as others said. Yummm.
  • GardenKat99
    Options
    I love it! Its a great healthy snack, or sandwich filler instead of meat or mayo. I usually make my own but I have favorites...depending on where you live, the best brands I've found to like are Trader Joe's own hummus and Fresh and Easy's brand hummus---both really great. Fresh and easy's roasted red pepper is excellent.
    If you live in S. California Mother's Market has a "raw" hummus with cilantro --its to die for (well for me!)--a rare treat that last one because it is pricey.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have only tried it once. I bought something called Garlic Lovers. I really like garlic so I thought it would be good. I learned I must not be a true garlic lover because it tasted like I ground a head of garlic in a food processor and ate. I tried to make myself like it but it was terrible. I need to try it again some other time.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Learn to make it yourself!!! Its much better tasting when its fresh.
  • jessjayla
    jessjayla Posts: 34
    Options
    yes please? lol My fav store brand is Sabra- i like the Roasted Pine Nut hummus.... never made my own but i might have to try :)
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love hummus! It's a nice alternative to unhealthy dips that are out there. I love the roasted red pepper kind. I normally eat it with carrots or pita bread (if I have some extra cals).
  • TheDreadedJynx
    Options
    It's amazing! It doesn't really look too appetizing, but I was hooked the first time I had it! If you try making your own, don't forget the tahini. My sister made it without it before, and it never tasted right.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The word hummus reminds me of Friends. "Hummus, I got the hummus!" ANYWAY, I like the red pepper hummus. Hummus does have a weird texture though.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    Lol! I posted on this earlier today.

I am now a fan of the garlic hummus. I'm still trying it out on foods to see what I like it with. Right now I have the real thin pretzel chips but I'm going to try it on other things as well.