What foods are bad and what are good?

Options
Hello everyone you here that low fat foods and these frozen diet foods are good to loose weight. Then you here real food is better!!! You here that Splenda and Sweet N Low are bad for you and Margarine are bad. Real sugar bad too! So, what are we to eat to loose weight?????

Replies

• bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything in moderation LOL. Anybody could see that by looking at my diary. I will not end my relationship with the "bad" things I love, I will just interact with them a little less ;)
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ummm....what?
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Real foods are better. I don't do fake sugar or margarine. Moderation is the key to weight loss. And foods that are as little processed as possible. And don't forget exercise.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump I would like to know this aswell
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Thinking about this too hard

Eat a balance diet
    Eat at caloric deficit for loss
    Eat the foods you enjoy

No good or bad foods, just good or bad habits
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Low Fat and Fat Free "Diet" foods tend to add a lot of sodium to the product in order to get the taste "right."

The less processed the food is, the less preservatives it contains = healthier for you.

Fresh fruits and veggies are best, frozen second, and canned come in dead last because they have a TON of sodium due to processing.
  • mdawson2112
    mdawson2112 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything in moderation LOL. Anybody could see that by looking at my diary. I will not end my relationship with the "bad" things I love, I will just interact with them a little less ;)

Great way to put it! I am a firm believer in not removing everyhting "bad" from your life just making some better choices about the bad and the good!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes by different rules. Some basics I think people should follow (just my opinion):

Real food is always better than man made food. Margarine is a lab experiment. Butter is real food.

Read ingredient lists. If it is a mile long and you don't recognize many of the ingredients, think to yourself "Would my body want to ingest this?"

Eat lots of vegetables (raw, cooked, fresh, frozen, whatever)

Cook for yourself as much as possible to control the ingredients and not eat gobs of sodium like you would via frozen meals, canned soups, etc.

When eating grains, make them whole. Whole grain bread is better than white bread.

With that said, I still like junk food once in a while. Nothing is banned. Everything in moderation.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I stay away from everything you mentioned...
    I try and eat as many whole foods as I can...
    fish, veggies, eggs, fruits, nuts and my daily post-workout protein shake
    I try and stay away from as many bad carbs...but have them in moderation
    never anything frozen, canned or processed
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much fresh food as possible. I avoid "diet" foods because they usually don't taste that great, but I will indulge in sweets or a burrito from time to time. Nothing is off limits for me, as long as I keep my life balanced with exercise and lots of water to drink. That is about as simply as I can possibly put it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    General rule:
    If it's around the outside of the grocery store - i.e. veggies, fruits, meats, nuts, eggs, fish, then it's good.
    If it's in the middle aisles of the grocery store, in a tin, packet or box, probably not so good.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Oh god. Must. Suppress. Grammar nazi.

quick answer: no food is BAD with the exception of trans fat. There is no such thing as good food and bad food, only food.

Better answer: I'm assuming you are looking for overall health benefits so I will answer accordingly. Cutting back on heavily processed foods of all types, be they Taco Bell or those frozen diet meals, will prove a health benefit in the long term. Natural foods will provide you with a better balance of nutrients. If you can identify the plant or animal that the food comes from then there's a good bet it's at least moderately good for you.

However I don't bash processed foods entirely. I like sweet tea, and it has aspartame (sp?) in it. Just remember to honor the poet Horace's words and take everything in moderation.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Brown rice sucks, I know that much.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In my opinion (and it is just that, an opinion), if you are simply trying to lose weight none of that really matters. Have the splenda and fat free sour cream if that's your thing.

If you're trying to cut your chemicals, processed foods, food dyes, preservatives, etc. that's a whole different issue.

And to the "Never Eat Anything Frozen" comment... that's bologna - less healthy than bologna actually. I would encourage you to chop up veggies and freeze them. I'd also encourage you to freeze any meat you're not eating within a couple of days. Hell, I'd go so far as to encourage you to put your veggies, meat, and a delicious marinade in a ziploc and freeze the whole damn thing! Freezer Meals, baby!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Brown rice sucks, I know that much.

Dude... why is it all... chewy and *kitten*??
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Foods that fit your macros, taste good, and keep you satiated are good. The rest are bad. This may change from day to day and hour to hour. You may find some nights, that a bowl of ice cream becomes good, for example.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

Eat a balance diet
    Eat the foods you enjoy

yep - well said.

This works for me also - lost 60 pounds this way, lots of inches all over, and have a Bikini ready body at age 47. :)
    Moderation is all things. If I want it, I have it, just use some common sense, stay in your calorie and macro goals - and I personally have a free day once a week, as needed. :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

And to the "Never Eat Anything Frozen" comment... that's bologna - less healthy than bologna actually. I would encourage you to chop up veggies and freeze them. I'd also encourage you to freeze any meat you're not eating within a couple of days. Hell, I'd go so far as to encourage you to put your veggies, meat, and a delicious marinade in a ziploc and freeze the whole damn thing! Freezer Meals, baby!

Hubby did that with steak once.... Oh... Em... Gee.... BEST meal I ever had!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Eat a balance diet
    Eat the foods you enjoy

I like this ^

Agreed "baby steps" - don't try to change your diet over night.

"Healthier" swap examples:

Yoplait Light has fake sugar (I'm ok with it) - but greek yogurt is still low in calories, has double the protein, and no fake sugar .... no brainer (for me)

White bread - no way am I giving up bread. Well, wheat bread has more fiber and more protein than white. Both nutrients will keep me full longer ......again switching is worth it (to me)

I used to pack pretzels, chips, or whatever in my lunch ...... switched to veggies, salads, etc. I do like veggies so this was an easy switch

I do like sugary "kids" cereals, but I found Kashi cereals I like just as well. Kashi generally has more fiber and more protein
  • leslie1610
    Options
    LOVE the grammar nazi comment (the spelling nazi should be added as well!)!!!