Best protein for women...

Options
What's the best protein shake for women? or what are some good suppliments for women who want to build *SOME* muscle..-- long lean muscles.

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I like Luna bars or a serving of cottage cheese after a good workout.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Any of the same supplements that men use are just fine. Protein is protein. It will NOT make you bulky. Not unless you happen to have testicles and produce lots of testosterone(and eat a calorie surplus and work out like a beast...).
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I use Isoflex by Almax Nutrition...whey protein isolate
    it's got 110 cals, 27g protein and 0g sugar
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    What's the best protein shake for women?

homer-grass.gif
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    take plain fat free Greek yogurt and add 1/2 scoop of cookies and cream whey protein and then you have an amazing sweet tooth snack. I have whey protein everyday in some form.
    MET-RX RTD 51g chocolate shake. Most grocery stores sell it.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

homer-grass.gif

ROFL Best gif usage EVER! :laugh:
  • ssieben
    ssieben Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I loveeee BioX Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Whey protein powder. 26 grams of protein per scoop. Blend a scoop with 1 cup of almond breeze and half a banana with 6 ice cubes. Yummmmy! Also Oikos Greek Yogurt by Danone has 18 grams of protein per 3/4 cup. I like to mix in either cocoa or lemon sugar free jello powder. Againnnnn yummy!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My wife takes Body Fortress Whey Isolate. 30gr for 130 calories. So far it is the most protein for the least amount of calories that we have found and it is cheap. IMO protein is protein and shakes are only there as a supplement. Your best source of protein is still going to be from food though.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love love love ProFIT. It is made with Non-hormonal and non-GMO whey and soy proteins, and is only 100 calories a serving. It tastes pretty good even with mixing it with water, almond milk, or coconut milk.
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    I like body by vi, but I want other options too!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

homer-grass.gif

You win...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Same stuff men use.

I like Dynamize ISO 100 Gourmet Vanilla and Cookies 'n Cream Hydrolyzed Whey quite a bit. It's very tasty.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My wife takes Body Fortress Whey Isolate. 30gr for 130 calories. So far it is the most protein for the least amount of calories that we have found and it is cheap. IMO protein is protein and shakes are only there as a supplement. Your best source of protein is still going to be from food though.

^This is what I use. It's very good, and the cheapest option out there that I have found. Great flavors... I have chocolate peanut butter and also vanilla. Really good in a smoothie for breakfast! I get it at Walmart.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Protein for men and women is the same. Anyone dieting should intake about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you can do this with food alone, you don't need a protein shake.

I use Body Fortress because it's cheap, decent tasting and I can buy it at the grocery store instead of making a separate trip or ordering online.

Protein alone does not make you gain muscle. For the most part, you have to eat more calories (energy) then you burn (all day not just during exercise) to gain muscle. Of course, most people here are actually dieting so they are eating less than they burn. Obese people, people new to lifting, or those returning to lifting might gain a little bit of muscle mass while dieting but it's certainly not enough to be concerned over.

I'm assuming by your "long lean" comment you are afraid of gaining huge "man-like" muscles. First, as I mentioned, you are not likely to gain any reasonable amount of muscle while dieting. Second, "man-like" muscles are man like because men have testosterone at much higher levels than women. Any woman who appears to have these types of muscles have taken interiors. Additionally, you cannot lengthen your muscles unless you grow your bones as they are attached. Anything that promises "long" muscles is just a marketing gimmick.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein whether you're a man or woman. Eating any amount of protein will not make you bulky. In fact, lifting real heavy will still not make you bulky because you do not produce as much testosterone as men typically do. I like any type of whey protein myself. I like the chocolate flavors. I mix them with some milk and ice cubes in a blender. It's kind of like a milkshake. Some people who avoid dairy, use soy protein supplements. I would avoid any type of shakes that come with lofty promises or even are directly marketed towards women. Those are more than likely scams.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i used phd diet whey!
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    From all of the research I've done, it seems cassien + whey combo is best which you can get at most health food spots. I forgot the brand of the product I wish to get from my local co-op, intend on replacing Designer Whey with it because it has less "filler" ingredients. Try to get most of my protein requirement from the food I eat and then if by dinner it isn't fulfilled I'll use the powder and do some exercise after.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Amp wheybolic, it's 20 grams of protein per scoop and just under a 100 cals, and not too pricey. I like the vanilla best, but the chocolate and strawberry are ok too.
    It does have sucralose, and I would like to fins a product that doesn't. also, I think it tastes strange when blended with ice but I can't think of any reason why that would change anything. I like it best with almond milk.
    I just wanted to add here in case others had ideas about protein that tastes good and doesn't use sucralose.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks:

No advertising please AND no argueing on this nice young ladie's thread!

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator:flowerforyou:
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

homer-grass.gif

LOL You must have thought of the same answer I was going to say LOL