Wedding Dress Nightmares

Options
DLDzioba
DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
So I am getting married in a year and a half and like all brides I want everything to be perfect. Mom and dad are perfectly willing to pay to have my dress(es?) custom made but I really didn't want to miss out on the hunt. I went to David's Bridal and had an okay time but I am getting super frustrated and jaded with the whole idea of wedding gowns.
I don't like strapless dresses. I do not like the weird frills and pick-up and other random stuff they're doing with skirts. I do not like bodices that look more like underwear than formal wear.

Was I born in the wrong decade?!

It's bad enough I feel I'm the only girl in my generation that actually likes yellow gold.

I'm just over it. I still have to look at plus size dresses because I've only started my weight loss journey and all I can think is how BAD most of these dresses look on bigger women. I want my big wedding, though, and I want to feel like a Goddamned princess on MY big day.

I do not want my 'dress consultant' to bring me things I specifically said I did not want. I do not want to have to resort to looking online for dresses because none of the stores I can go to have more than one or two dresses that meet my idea of what I want.

I'm just.... Over it. Is it really too much to ask for a dress that is elegant, modest, and beautiful?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This was my gown:

6981155639_2a853cf580.jpg

6835026750_8e25b51bca.jpg

I had the same issue you have with wanting a gown that was a little more coverage. While mine was strapless, the jacket kept my shoulders and back covered, and the strapless top came up higher than other tops keeping me covered. It was a dark ivory/chamgpagne color.

6835042150_c1f09927c2.jpg

6981169475_309f040fb0.jpg

6981168461_71ff2f56ae.jpg

6835038752_f3f650c966.jpg

For the reception, I removed the outer jacket and had short sleeves put on. They simply clipped inside the strapless underdress. The jacket was heavy and cumbersome (pretty but frustrating for dancing):

6835050128_be23ced526.jpg

FWIW, I went through 52 different gowns at 8 different shops before I found the one I got. I loved it. It was perfect.

Be patient and make sure you look around.

Sorry for spamming you with pics... just wanted to say that this style of dress does exist, but they are hard to find right now. I got mine at David's and had the short sleeves added later by them.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It's not too much to ask! Every woman should be able to have a dress that they feels represents who they are and that they feel comfortable in. I HATED wedding dress shopping, it was awful, I wanted something retro and beautiful but I kept seeing poofy after poofy after poofy. It took me 5 stores and HOURS to find my dress, but I found one that I LOVED, it was classic, and beautiful, with that hint of vintage to it. Just be patient, for some of us it takes a long time to find "the" dress.

Edit to add a pic of my dress, you can see how simple it is but it took a LONG time to find, I had to weed through a lot of frilly, Vegas stripper looking and mermaid dresses to find something this simple!
    a092d656.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should think about consulting with a seamstress. You can design your own dress.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No it isn't!! Good luck on your hunt. I hope you find the exact dress you want for your big day, i'm sure you'll look beautiful!! And yeah they are adding lots of frills and foofery to the new dresses. Your wedding dress should be a reflection of you, it will probably take a bit of looking before you find the perfect one. But custom made is always a good thing :)
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't like the wedding dresses right now either. All those strapless, sleevless....You're going into a church. Cover yourself. I also prefer good fabrics and the ready-made don't really do that. If you can have it made I sure would.

btw Elizabeth, that is an amazing dress. Everything it should be.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't too much to ask for. I do have to ask though if you have thought about having your dress custom made? If I had to do it all over again, I might have chosen to go down that route. I did love my spaghetti-strapped a-line gown even though it was completely different from what I thought I would like.

Here are some places to look for inspiration:

http://www.simplyelegantforyou.com/index.php
    http://www.inweddingdress.com/theme-wedding-dresses-bg112.html
    http://www.inweddingdress.com/wedding-dress/plus-size-wedding-dresses.html
    http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/a-line-wedding-dresses/c002002001.html#prod-bread

Also, if you really buckle down, you can lose a good amount of weight before you absolutely have to order your gown. 6-9 months from wedding date is the general guideline but depending on where you get your gown, you may be able to get away with less time - which means more time to lose weight and fit a dress you love.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had great luck at Alfred Angelo a few years ago. I didn't want bare shoulders so they found me dresses that either had sleeves or a jacket that I could wear. I opted for the dress with the jacket as I liked it the best. I bought it in white but the one I tried on in the picture below is the yellow/gold color.

CIMG1117smaller.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Davids has a lot of dresses with more coverage and options for more upper body covering. Why not look on sites like etsy and ebay? .. both are great for unique dresses.

Also, I like yellow gold.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I don't like the wedding dresses right now either. All those strapless, sleevless....You're going into a church. Cover yourself. I also prefer good fabrics and the ready-made don't really do that. If you can have it made I sure would.

btw Elizabeth, that is an amazing dress. Everything it should be.

Thank you! I loved it. It took forever to find.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I don't like strapless dresses. I do not like the weird frills and pick-up and other random stuff they're doing with skirts. I do not like bodices that look more like underwear than formal wear.

I want my big wedding, though, and I want to feel like a Goddamned princess on MY big day.

I do not want my 'dress consultant' to bring me things I specifically said I did not want. I do not want to have to resort to looking online for dresses because none of the stores I can go to have more than one or two dresses that meet my idea of what I want.

I'm just.... Over it. Is it really too much to ask for a dress that is elegant, modest, and beautiful?
    Princess Jasmine?
    I don't like the wedding dresses right now either. All those strapless, sleevless....You're going into a church. Cover yourself.

Maybe something along this line?
    Burkha.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I want my big wedding, though, and I want to feel like a Goddamned princess on MY big day.

Princess Jasmine?
    I don't like the wedding dresses right now either. All those strapless, sleevless....You're going into a church. Cover yourself.

Maybe something along this line?
    Burkha.jpg

Eeek! It's a ghost!
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Elizabeth, just to say -

You look beautiful. Your hubby looks great. (Congratulations, BTW :flowerforyou: ) Your wedding looks wonderful, and your dress was just gorgeous.

But I must be showing my age (49 years), because the thing that strikes me most about your pics is that your dad (I'm figuring he's your dad) is a totally scrumptious handsome-cutie! Your mom is a very lucky woman, and any future sons you might choose to have will be lucky handsome boys. :smile:
  • lalaloses
    lalaloses Posts: 22
    Options
    I was the same way - I hated all of the foofy wedding dresses. Mine was strapless, but had a jacket that I loved!

6981306689_e0f8f678d3_z.jpg
    aaamfpwedding by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    I completely understand. I hated the way all dresses looked on me so I just opted for this modest one. I don't think it looked too bad either!

nandomari-1.jpg

EDIT: Cut out my face because I didn't look too happy. lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's hard work - I've done it twice! Especially when you are a bigger size and all the dresses you could try on are smaller sizes.
    Keep looking though, you'll find something.
    What about asking for something like Kate Middleton's dress, that was gorgeous and covered up a lot more than you usually see.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Elizabeth, just to say -

You look beautiful. Your hubby looks great. (Congratulations, BTW :flowerforyou: ) Your wedding looks wonderful, and your dress was just gorgeous.

But I must be showing my age (49 years), because the thing that strikes me most about your pics is that your dad (I'm figuring he's your dad) is a totally scrumptious handsome-cutie! Your mom is a very lucky woman, and any future sons you might choose to have will be lucky handsome boys. :smile:

Thank you!

HAHAH That's my grandfather, and he's almost 70. I'll be sure to tell him that you think he's cute, though my grandmother may have something to say about it. The suit he had on during the wedding was like 3 sizes too large so he was swamped, unfrotunately.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I found a really nice dress at david's bridal with beading and a pick up skirt - i felt like belle from beauty and the beast. i had them add in 3/4 sleeves because i didn't like strapless (my arms are too big) and it only made the dress nicer in my opinion. i have several pics of my dress up on my profile if you'd like to see. they can add sleeves to any dress that you get.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets married in a church.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I agree with contrarian. if you want to be a princess, just get exactly what you want made for you. i doubt it would be that much more than buying one, and it would save you a tonne of time. plus they'd fit it and change it to your body shape, so you can slim down or chub up and it wouldn't make any difference- they'd just alter it to fit.

personally i got married in a sarong and singlet. worked for me! but i'm not much good with fuss.