How did YOU lose belly fat????

Options

Replies

• DabneyAnne
    Options
    I'd be interested in these articles if you have the time!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing helps suck the waist in. After a single workout u can tell that it holds the gut in more. Also, throughout the day hold your gut in for a minute. I try that 2-3times a day. I agree it is the last to go-that is my problem area too.

hmmm i suck my gut in allll the time when i walk and stuff
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    no white bread and very minimal carbs in general...lots of fiber, keeps ur digestive system clean. sometimes a blocked up digestive system can add weight to the lower stomach. lots of water to flush... ab excercises! and im still squishier there too >:(
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Running is NOT the best thing, I repeat not the best thing. Nor is cardio!

Let me explain: this CAN work for some people but for many it doesn't. That's because steady state cardio isn't particularly good at getting rid of fat compared to other activities.

Ultimately, you need to lower your body fat percentage. Some of the best ways to do that are to eat clean and lift heavy. There's a lot of articles I could paste here but I find most people don't read them anyways. Message me if you're interested.

lifting is important but i think having cardio with it will be even more effective than lifting alone
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Most important thing for belly fat is eating right. Cardio definitely helps too, but ONLY if you're eating right too. It amps a healthy diet. By itself, you would NEVER be able to do enough cardio to make a difference if you weren't eating right.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I discovered I had a wheat intolerance and as soon as I dropped it I lost 18lbs in that month and lost about 13" off tummy in total.

Post pregnancy DVD's work on specifically toning that area. mine's much flatter than it was and gone down 3 clothes sizes.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Running is NOT the best thing, I repeat not the best thing. Nor is cardio!

Let me explain: this CAN work for some people but for many it doesn't. That's because steady state cardio isn't particularly good at getting rid of fat compared to other activities.

Ultimately, you need to lower your body fat percentage. Some of the best ways to do that are to eat clean and lift heavy. There's a lot of articles I could paste here but I find most people don't read them anyways. Message me if you're interested.

^^^^ THIS
    Lowering my 'bad' carbs also helped but I'm assuming it was because my diet become more clean!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do mostly Cardio I cannot say I am the cleanest eater but I do monitor what I eat and I stay within my limints Most days and I do some upper body and lower body stuff mostly variations of situps and push ups and my abs are starting to peek thru.
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    Lose fat everywhere else first.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...
    I have always held fat in my chest and stomach. I am pretty lean everywhere else (not completely lean). If I hold it in people think I'm in decent shape. When I let it all out...I'm a fat monster! I want to slap myself.
    I recently started ( 2 months) lifting weights because it burns fat for days and builds muscle. I also walk (brisk walk) every other day or more for about an hour. I take my chubby dog on a few too.. she's getting a little belly as well. I have to say that I'm seeing good progress. Slow but steady.

I do agree and disagree with a lot of replies.
    I agree with the eat healthy, exercise, it will eventually come off, everyone gains and holds fat in different areas MORE than other areas.

I disagree that first on last off. Why? Usually, (me anyway) first on means the fatest part of your body and where/when you noticed it. Yeah, I'll notice my face, arms, etc...getting leaner but, I don't have 30lb butt cheeks on my face either! My point is I am burning fat evenly all over at the same time. I just have 90 times more fat in my stomach! Sure it's gonna look worse longer.

The best diet habits I have are...I drink 1-2 cups of coffee(cream and sugar) but, a lot of water ONLY all day! I drink two whey protien shakes at about 30g because low cal., The first when I wake up and the second after I workout. No fast food, I cook chicken, beef, pasta, turkey ham tuna sandwiches...
    I love gummy bears! I eat them every night after dinner for a treat.

I want to add...I'm learning not to freak out if I don't feel like busting butt one day. Rest is the most important thing. I lift every other day but, when I'm tired i either skip a day or just go light. The same for walking. I want to feel better not kill myself. Besides, it took me 40 years to get this way.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    To respond to a few people...

I am definitely not saying cardio is bad, not at all! But endurance activities do not help you lose fat. See this, for instance: http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

**to lose fat you have to eat a calorie deficit**

Fact. So lifting or circuits or metabolic work won't give you a six pack by itself. But it will help you maintain muscle. Cardio is great for your heart and health generally but if your goal is fat loss then running etc. is not the *optimal* way to get there.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • rcramer7
    Options
    To respond to a few people...

I am definitely not saying cardio is bad, not at all! But endurance activities do not help you lose fat. See this, for instance: http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

**to lose fat you have to eat a calorie deficit**

Fact. So lifting or circuits or metabolic work won't give you a six pack by itself. But it will help you maintain muscle. Cardio is great for your heart and health generally but if your goal is fat loss then running etc. is not the *optimal* way to get there.

I think I understand where you stand....Maybe just bad wordage...By the looks of your picture; you exercise. And, yes, you have to burn more calories than you consume to lose fat. But, the way you make it sound to me is that the less you eat the better it will be for weight loss.

I don't think this is what you're saying because you don't look malnutritioned in your picture.

Diet AND exercise is important. Diet probably 80% more than exercise but, without doing both you risk malnutrition, organ damage (your organs need something like 1k cal a day just to function), severe muscle, bone and ligament damage, fatigue............

Sure, you don't have to be a bodybuilder or run a marathon but, a healthy cardiovascular system and strong muscles is the ONLY correct and healthy way to lose weight.

Also, you don't have to eat at a deficit. If you eat at your maintenance and exercise whatever you burn off during those activities will be at a deficit. This is how you still get all your nutrients and stay healthy. Not by trending.

Sorry, one more thing...Not eating doesn't just burn fat. It converts fat into energy and converts muscle into engery. Your body will enter a fight or flight mode. Then what happens is you get tired and WHATEVER your body doesn't need at that time will be stored as FAT. Not very productive.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing results since I added deadlifts, deep squats, and elevated split lunges. These really work the core muscles. I see the belly area shrinking as in my pants and underwear no longer cut into me.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

I think I understand where you stand....Maybe just bad wordage...By the looks of your picture; you exercise. And, yes, you have to burn more calories than you consume to lose fat. But, the way you make it sound to me is that the less you eat the better it will be for weight loss.

I don't think this is what you're saying because you don't look malnutritioned in your picture.

Diet AND exercise is important. Diet probably 80% more than exercise but, without doing both you risk malnutrition, organ damage (your organs need something like 1k cal a day just to function), severe muscle, bone and ligament damage, fatigue............

Sure, you don't have to be a bodybuilder or run a marathon but, a healthy cardiovascular system and strong muscles is the ONLY correct and healthy way to lose weight.

Also, you don't have to eat at a deficit. If you eat at your maintenance and exercise whatever you burn off during those activities will be at a deficit. This is how you still get all your nutrients and stay healthy. Not by trending.

Sorry, one more thing...Not eating doesn't just burn fat. It converts fat into energy and converts muscle into engery. Your body will enter a fight or flight mode. Then what happens is you get tired and WHATEVER your body doesn't need at that time will be stored as FAT. Not very productive.

Yes, I agree with all of this! I certainly didn't mean to say you eat as little as possible lose fat...quite the opposite! You start losing muscle. Really, you should eat as much as possible while still getting results.

What I meant by the deficit is that through eating less or moving more your body needs a net caloric deficit to lose fat. And no, sorry, more is not better. You need lots of food and *proper* amount of exercise (ie, resting, recovering, etc).

The training builds strength. The net caloric deficit results in less fat on top of those muscles.
  • rcramer7
    Options
    I'm seeing results since I added deadlifts, deep squats, and elevated split lunges. These really work the core muscles. I see the belly area shrinking as in my pants and underwear no longer cut into me.

Hey coco,
    Congradulations! I too am working at it. It's nice when your clothes start to fit different in the better way. And, I searched and searched the internet but, I couldn't find one single negative thing about underwear just falling off!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Small calorie deficit, moderate cardio, heavy weight lifting.

BUT, genetically I don't store a lot of fat in my stomach, it's all in my thighs, and yes, still there.
  • rcramer7
    Options

Yes, I agree with all of this! I certainly didn't mean to say you eat as little as possible lose fat...quite the opposite! You start losing muscle. Really, you should eat as much as possible while still getting results.

What I meant by the deficit is that through eating less or moving more your body needs a net caloric deficit to lose fat. And no, sorry, more is not better. You need lots of food and *proper* amount of exercise (ie, resting, recovering, etc).

The training builds strength. The net caloric deficit results in less fat on top of those muscles.

Hey Chuisle,

I'm gonna have to go work my guns some more. After looking at your picture I'm feeling a little puny.
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I disagree that first on last off. Why? Usually, (me anyway) first on means the fatest part of your body and where/when you noticed it. Yeah, I'll notice my face, arms, etc...getting leaner but, I don't have 30lb butt cheeks on my face either! My point is I am burning fat evenly all over at the same time. I just have 90 times more fat in my stomach! Sure it's gonna look worse longer.

This. I have SOOO much belly fat to lose and to read that this way puts it ALL into perspective. I can totally see it shedding in my head from that illustration. Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!