How to make oatmeal more filling, under 220 cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    nice ideas
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    you definitely need protein at breakfast to keep you full.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/2 cup of pumpkin in mine. 40 cals and more filling as well.
  • LTrain16
    LTrain16 Posts: 10
    Options
    Dump the instant packets, go with 1/2 cup dry oats, and some dried cranberries, strawberries, or whatever. Well under 220 cals, and it keeps me pretty full until my mid morning orange.
  • klacoille
    klacoille Posts: 53
    Options
    I get the unsweetened packages that have flax seeds in them. Add one packet of splenda with fiber and through on some frozen berries and microwave with water. Very om nom nom and usually under 175 cal depending on the the fruit.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    skip the instant ones and go for quick oats and add your own flavoring, this way you get less sugar and calories from the sugar, so you can have a larger bowl which will keep you full longer.

This!

1/4 cup of rolled oats = 78 calories
    1 tsp sugar/brown sugar = 11 calories
    1 tbs maple syrup = 53 calories
    1 tbs walnut pieces = ~45 calories
    1/2 cup soy milk = 50 calories

TOTAL: 237 calories
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/2 cup of pumpkin in mine. 40 cals and more filling as well.

Oooh! - I'm gotta try this. A touch of cinnamon too ... yum
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    super quick and yummy.. YOu can add whatever you want and stores GREAT!! I use a mixture of things.. Dried cranberries (i hate rasins), brown sugar, nuts, peanutbutter/bananna, dark chocolate.. (pretty sure you get the idea...lol) anywho here is the link

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    anyone ever try eggs in oatmeal. it actually tastes pretty good just make sure you cook it thoroughly! put some cinnamon, a banana, etc... awesome
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hey I love oatmeal too(though I do agree regular not instant is healthier and makes you feel full longer)I cook regular oatmeal in the microwave takes two minutes.I add cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves,apples,cranberries,cherries,apples,or chocolate chips,coconut,pecans,almonds,almond milk,whatever sounds good to you.Having water and tea every hour helps me feel full longer too.
  • biznoche
    biznoche Posts: 43
    Options
    I put a couple tablespoons of low-fat, high fiber granola in mine.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats whole oats (not that pre-packaged crap) cooked in water- 1/2 cup dry
    Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - 2 Tablespoons
    Sliced Strawberries - 1/4 cup

It's 233 calories, extremely filling, AND it tastes like you're eating a cookie for breakfast!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Ew, I hate the instant packets! Maybe its because I grew up on Old Fashion Oats.

I just started adding Chia seeds to alot of my food because they are good for you and fill you up. I have a hunger problem, I am hungry ALL the time even though I eat 1,800+ cals a day! Well, its not so much that I am hungry, its that I need some kind of "pacifier".

1/2 Cup oats
    1 1/2 C water
    1 TBS Agave Nectar
    1/2 TBS Chia seeds
    25 blue berries
    Cinnamon

BEST OATMEAL EVER
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump