Help!!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been on here a few weeks (again) and initially lost 3 lbs and then nothing. I did have a few "hiccups" along the way when I went out of town (fast food) and when the in-laws visited (fried fish). But overall, I am trying to stay around 1300 calories and exercise 4 times a week. I TRY hard to stick with pure ingredients that are not processed, but I do treat myself occasionally. Any one want to take a peek at my diary and offer suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Becky

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions. Are you measuring EVERYTHING with a food scale or measuring cups at least? eyeballing it can cause you to eat extra calories. I see a lot of homemade items in your diary which is awesome. No better way to control what you eat than to make it yourself! Are these recipes ones that you built here or are you using the ones in the database? If you are using the ones in the database chances are they are different than the way you make it. I try my best to build as much as I can in my recipe builder so I don't have to be unsure of what I am tracking.

Keep it up! I just suggest check your portions, try to eat balanced meals and make sure you build your recipes.
  • ackersb
    ackersb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much eyeballing it, but I *try* to log less than what my eyes say. I will take your suggestion though and start measuring : ) I also was completely unaware of the recipe builder--very cool! I will start using that.

Thanks so much! Happy weight loss thoughts coming your way!
  • nixirain
    Options
    Yeah the recipe builder is pretty awesome. I even build my PB&J in there with the ingredients I use. If you have the app on your phone, try the "scan option". That way it makes it super easy to find the brands you use (even for chicken) so you know the exact calorie count.
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    Are you sure 1300 calories is enough?? I'm at 1550, I workout 6 days a week, and I don't think i'm eating enough... Do more research outside of My Fitness Pal and see where other site tell you where you should be.. I looked and it's up in the 1800s... So I'm actually going to talk to a registered dietitian to get me where I need to be.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I lost two pounds my first week, then NOTHING for a while. I really didn't see much change until I started measuring my food and logging meticulously. But even that change was minimal. I noticed the biggest body changes when I got serious about working out. Dieting doesn't seem to help me much (I guess because I have pretty good eating habits in general) but it was the exercise that really did it.

Keep up the good work and you'll see results. You may not see it as quickly/consistently as you'd like, but that's okay. Just keep going. :smile:
  • teresa1121
    teresa1121 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It will come stay focused and diligent switch things up a bit maybe i have stayed the same for 2 weeks now so i have to do something different we are here for ya feel free to add me if you like..

Where can i find the recipe builder???
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm struggling too, but it's because I know I'm not tracking my food properly and am giving myself too many treats.

In looking at your diary, I'd suggest you use the recipe builder and be sure to measure everything. It's tough to have only 1/2 tbsp of things like peanut butter ... and I know that I always underestimate serving sizes unless I measure EVERYTHING. If I don't have a brand name item or I haven't used the recipe builder then I try not to use just any old item from the food list. When I look at some of the entries I think people are delusional because the calories counts seem way out of whack. A while ago I saw a restaurant hamburger for about 250 calories and when I check restaurant websites I find that they are all about 400 calories. That kind of stuff can really trip you up!
  • nixirain
    Options
    It will come stay focused and diligent switch things up a bit maybe i have stayed the same for 2 weeks now so i have to do something different we are here for ya feel free to add me if you like..

Under food you will see recipes and you can choose to build one. Or you can go under the tools section. It gives you the option to choose how many servings are in your recipe so you don't have to modify your recipe for 1 person. I love that part!
  • deannaloo
    deannaloo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert, but I peeked at your diary and noticed the Fat Free Half and Half for your coffee.. I'd nix that stuff and go to the full fat version. The full fat version has 3 ingredients - milk, cream and something used to keep it fresh. The FF varieties are loaded with a paragraph of chemicals.

Are you losing inches? My weight doesn't doesn't move fast, but my inches do. Have you considered adding some strength training to your weekly exercises? Building muscle mass helps to burn fat faster.

Try hard to not let the lack of movement scale get you down. Keep your chin up and keep pressing on!
  • ackersb
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert, but I peeked at your diary and noticed the Fat Free Half and Half for your coffee.. I'd nix that stuff and go to the full fat version. The full fat version has 3 ingredients - milk, cream and something used to keep it fresh. The FF varieties are loaded with a paragraph of chemicals.

Are you losing inches? My weight doesn't doesn't move fast, but my inches do. Have you considered adding some strength training to your weekly exercises? Building muscle mass helps to burn fat faster.

Try hard to not let the lack of movement scale get you down. Keep your chin up and keep pressing on!

You are so right about the creamer! My mother in law just visited and left it so I am trying to use it up. Probably time to just toss it : ) I will add some strength training too. I've been taking advantage of the weather and hiking.
  • BayerinCA
    Options
    Hello There,

To be honest? You should really go low on carbs and that means completely no junk food, no alcohol no treats nothing what seems fun to eat.
    Maybe you should try the Paleo Diet.... it is a good solution to detox your body and loose weight.
    I am doing the Paleo Diet and it is amazing how it works. Shocking but true... I had to cut out dairy, whole grain etc. It's tough but as soon you start the Paleo Diet you will feel better in any way. AND DON'T cheat.... ;-)
  • ackersb
    Options
    I'm struggling too, but it's because I know I'm not tracking my food properly and am giving myself too many treats.

In looking at your diary, I'd suggest you use the recipe builder and be sure to measure everything. It's tough to have only 1/2 tbsp of things like peanut butter ... and I know that I always underestimate serving sizes unless I measure EVERYTHING. If I don't have a brand name item or I haven't used the recipe builder then I try not to use just any old item from the food list. When I look at some of the entries I think people are delusional because the calories counts seem way out of whack. A while ago I saw a restaurant hamburger for about 250 calories and when I check restaurant websites I find that they are all about 400 calories. That kind of stuff can really trip you up!

Ok thanks so much! Time to measure!!
  • ackersb
    Options
    Are you sure 1300 calories is enough?? I'm at 1550, I workout 6 days a week, and I don't think i'm eating enough... Do more research outside of My Fitness Pal and see where other site tell you where you should be.. I looked and it's up in the 1800s... So I'm actually going to talk to a registered dietitian to get me where I need to be.

Let me know what she says : ) Thanks!
  • BayerinCA
    Options
    ... me again... keep up the good work on doing sport it will push you to stay focused on your diet.
  • ackersb
    Options
    Hello There,

To be honest? You should really go low on carbs and that means completely no junk food, no alcohol no treats nothing what seems fun to eat.
    Maybe you should try the Paleo Diet.... it is a good solution to detox your body and loose weight.
    I am doing the Paleo Diet and it is amazing how it works. Shocking but true... I had to cut out dairy, whole grain etc. It's tough but as soon you start the Paleo Diet you will feel better in any way. AND DON'T cheat.... ;-)
    [/quote

Thank you, I did the south beach diet and have detoxed / fasted / colon cleansed, but I am trying to do a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I know I won't give up wheat and dairy long term so I have accepted a slow fat loss. Good luck! I hope it works great for you : )
  • nixirain
    Options
    Hello There,

I love milk and pizza too much to give it up. I personally don't believe in eliminating anything from my diet. I follow eat less of the "bad" stuff more of the "good" stuff and exercise.
  • ackersb
    Options
    ... me again... keep up the good work on doing sport it will push you to stay focused on your diet.

Thank you :happy:
  • ackersb
    Options

Thank you! Maybe we can be a support to each other : )
  • teacherbarb
    teacherbarb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person and how much weight they are trying to loose. I find that 1200 is a a good starting point for me if I don't work out. Then I find I can loose more if I only eat about half of what I work off... For example I start with 1200 and then work out and burn 400 calories. So that means I eat a total of 1400 calories...1200 original and 200 of the 400 I burned. If I work out about 4 times per week, then I can loose about 2 lbs per week.
  • ackersb
    Options
    I lost two pounds my first week, then NOTHING for a while. I really didn't see much change until I started measuring my food and logging meticulously. But even that change was minimal. I noticed the biggest body changes when I got serious about working out. Dieting doesn't seem to help me much (I guess because I have pretty good eating habits in general) but it was the exercise that really did it.

Keep up the good work and you'll see results. You may not see it as quickly/consistently as you'd like, but that's okay. Just keep going. :smile:

Thank you so much! Congrats on your success!!!