Do you notice what everyone is eating?

Options

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I notice all the time now, but don't say anything to anyone, because it used to be me buying all crap food all the time. But it does make me feel good that the cashiers at Wal-Mart (where I get most of my groceries) seem to always comment about all the healthy food I buy. I like that I'm feeding myself, my husband, and my boys healthy foods and teaching them better than I was.
  • Tmac125
    Tmac125 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot more now too! The only time I really "judge" is when it's friends who complain to me they can't lose weight or not losing weight and then I see them get a bag of popcorn theatre or take bites when they are cooking. It's hard not to say something. When our whole office of women are watching what they eat and I do say something they say something snide about "being the food police." I try to not say anything at all now.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I can't look at food anywhere, like even the TV, without thinking about how many calories something is. I could care less what others eat, but I can't but help count everything I see.

I hate that there are constantly fast food commercials on the radio and the tv. Every time I hear how good the Beefy Crunch Burrito is I always think in my head, yeah, 500 calories of "good"
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it's natural when you become more aware of something, to spot it in not only yourself, but others as well.

For example, when you get a new car, don't you notice how many other people now drive the same car as you do? When I got my CRV, I immediately noticed how popular before. Before then, I could have cared less, it just wasn't even on my radar.

Funny that you mentioned this... we just got a CRV about a month ago. I swear to god I have never seen them on the road before. Now - I swear everybody has one!

On a side note - I also notice what everybody else is eating... and I secretely calculate their calories for them. I also investigate people's carts when I am out shopping. I once saw this person in the store that had roughly 12 cases of soda in her shopping cart. I hope she is either an extreme couponer or having a party! :)
  • marckilgore
    Options
    Yes, and makes me sick to see the thin/fit people at work complaining about how fat they are (attention...? wants us overweights to say "oh I wish I looked like you" not going to happen!!!!:grumble: ) but cram fast food, sugar and crap food down their throats. Here I am fat, complaining I am not thin and eating healthy...What is wrong with this picture!!??!!:huh:

Haha. My favorite is when they lift up their shirt and pinch "fat" (which is pretty much skin) and say something like, ugh! Look at all this fat!!

When someone does that to me, I just say, "yea you're right... you really should go on a diet". HAHAHAHA The look of shock on their face shuts them up in a hurry!
  • VLaaber
    VLaaber Posts: 30
    Options
    I work as a waitress and the amount of things people eat just scares me! Even some of our salads aren't the healthiest for you but somehow people manage to eat the entire thing meanwhile I end up bringing more than half of it home when I work splits! Just yikes!
  • bella51708
    Options
    I notice when combonations don't make sense. A stack of lean cuisines or healthy choices along with a box of little debbie cakes and a 12 pack of regular soda. LOL

(I know I'm guilty of it too sometimes)

I do this as well, but it's because the lean cuisine's are mine and the snack cakes are my husbands and stepson's. Not everyone in my house is on a diet and I do all the shopping, so I get them these for their lunch. I don't know how they get by with it, but they eat those things and are both thin and healthy. If I were to eat one, it would go straight to my hips. Oh well, I'm okay with it because I have gone so long without them, that when I do eat one, it taste's nasty!! About a month ago, I caved and grabbed a devils square cake and could only eat a few bites. It was horrible. My tastes have definitely changed. I went and fixed myself a grilled chicken salad instead.

I fix dinner every night (except for the occasional treat of ordering out 2-3 times a month) and it's normally always balanced and nutritious. I fix a lot of chicken, fish, and steak with a veggie and a starch. So, I'm okay with them having these snacks with their lunch. They don't eat them at home, they are just for lunches. The one thing I'm trying to work on is adding more fresh fruit to our diet. I find that it goes bad before we eat it all most times.
  • Kiewilbfit
    Options
    I notice it big time now what everyone is eating. Especially my mom, she is trying to loose weight but is not paying attention to the calories that she consumes. I try to tell about the calories and I think I bug her a little bit because in the grocery story i look at the nutrition facts to look at the calories on everything except for the water. Also, fast food is a thing in the past, if i get something I will get a wrap or salad especially at restaurants. I am 23 pounds down and got a lot to loose..my next weigh in is friday so hopefully i lost..
  • felina77
    felina77 Posts: 9
    Options
    While I am not watching calories as much as most on MFP, I am eating more protein and better vegetable choices. I feel better about the way I'm eating, this past weekend we were at a local seafood restaurant and I noticed others getting what I used to get and it didn't look near as appetizing to me as it used to. I remember watching Biggest Loser and Jillian saying she was sick over seeing what some people ate at home and thought she was putting on an act but I think when you're eating better, you really do crave foods that are better for you.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm more aware of it.

I do, however, resist the urge to judge a persons entire diet based on one snapshot. For example, that pint of ice cream I ate last night could have easily given someone the wrong impression.

I agree. I eat well 95% of the time but there are meals where I throw caution to the wind. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for that one meal.

Exactly, maybe that meal is their splurge day. Some may know how many calories they are eating but dont care or they might think their food is not that bad.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Yes, and makes me sick to see the thin/fit people at work complaining about how fat they are (attention...? wants us overweights to say "oh I wish I looked like you" not going to happen!!!!:grumble: ) but cram fast food, sugar and crap food down their throats. Here I am fat, complaining I am not thin and eating healthy...What is wrong with this picture!!??!!:huh:

Haha. My favorite is when they lift up their shirt and pinch "fat" (which is pretty much skin) and say something like, ugh! Look at all this fat!!

When someone does that to me, I just say, "yea you're right... you really should go on a diet". HAHAHAHA The look of shock on their face shuts them up in a hurry!

Lmao! I love this
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I work as a waitress and the amount of things people eat just scares me! Even some of our salads aren't the healthiest for you but somehow people manage to eat the entire thing meanwhile I end up bringing more than half of it home when I work splits! Just yikes!

I use to work at one too and I almost can't imagine even eating there anymore. Some of the salads are even upwards of 1200 calories and ridiculas amounts of sodium because of all the different toppings.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I don't do it to judge but I definitely notice.

Also, I try to never order a whole meal. I ask for an extra plate and share with my partner or kid.
    I cannot imagine eating the way I did 2 yrs ago. No wonder I was so fat.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Lmao! I love this

Great Idea!!!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't judge what others are eating really, but I do look at food commercials and instead of seeing how tasty it looks I think of how many calories it is. Then I feel bad for the people eating this high calorie stuff without realizing how bad it is.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Yes I do notice what other people eat! It's too easy to stereotype people by what they eat too! hahah its awful.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I notice for sure! But i would have pprobably been eating the same if not for MFP and my own goals.....
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that I notice a lot more, but I don't really judge based on it. Being on and off a diet for the last 5 years has made me freakishly good at estimating calories in packaged foods. My BIL recently commented that it was a weird talent to have, but hey, everyone's gotta be good at something, right? :-) Sadly, the knowledge doesn't always stop me from eating something that's less than healthy, hence why I'm here!
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not so much what others eat, but when I do see someone eating something I think about how many calories I must have been taking in when I was eating it. I never realized, I use to be able to eat what I wanted and keep a slim figure, then I got pregnant 3 years in a row and it just couldn't be controlled at the point, I was still not caring what I ate on top of being pregnant..wasn't pretty. Once I had my last child this december and was just disgusted with my body, I realized I need to count my calories and get back into shape the "hard" way. Now I dont eat a "clean" diet by no means, but I control my portions and watch my intake and when I see someone eating mcdonalds or something like that (which I still do on occasion but tweaked my selections), I just think about how many calories they are eating and I just cant anymore.

I dont enjoy those junk foods and fast foods that used to taste so good to me have lost their appeal, except for pizza, I will never desert pizza. **drooling smiley if they had one** :wink:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm more aware of it.

I do, however, resist the urge to judge a persons entire diet based on one snapshot. For example, that pint of ice cream I ate last night could have easily given someone the wrong impression.

I agree. I eat well 95% of the time but there are meals where I throw caution to the wind. I certainly wouldn't want someone judging me for that one meal.

When my boys were infants, people would stop me in the store to let me know that what was in my cart wasn't good for them. It just made me want to punch folks. Why others would assume the diet coke in my cart was for the BABIES was beyond me. . . So, I try really hard to keep my mind/eyes/opinions to myself.

That said, the colleague who complains about his weight while snarfling a quarter of a bakery cake does make me shake my head a little, at least internally.