Are personal trainers cost prohibitive ??

Options
2»

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's expensive; I think a lot depends on your gym. At mine, I buy a bundle of sessions and use them when I want. I have a session every other week and repeat that week's program (or pull out past programs) until our next session, increasing weight progressively. I've found it very helpful and motivating. I'm far from rich, but having only 2-3 sessions a month makes it affordable for me. My trainer also does a lot more than show me how to use the machines...the only machine I've ever been on with him is the cable cross if that even counts.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer,

This isn't for everyone.

On my first attempt at getting down to my goal weight, I lost 80 lbs and regained a lot of strength, I used an on line trainer. Now if you need that person physically there talking to you, in your face, and pushing you, this won't work. I just needed the assistance of getting workouts put together and someone to be responsible to. The cost was not all that much.

Why am I not doing that again you might ask. First, my trainer has left the market and is working with her husband in their dojo. Second, I am following all the things she taught me to do in the first place and I am using MFP as a way to be responsible to someone....well many someones.

It is worth a look if $$$ is an issue.

I agree online trainers are NOT for everyone. I had a decent online one who was NOT CLEAR in how his program worked. Definitely get specifics. I have hired a personal trainer and to get the cost down, I NEGOTIATED with him. So a friend and I trained with him at the same time. This cut the cost down for both of us. I know it was around $20-$25 per session for 4-6 weeks and we met twice a week. This was in Pittsburgh, PA which is not an expensive city. No one trainer trains the same way so you need to find one that works for you and your lifestyle.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My opinion: you get what you pay for. I think that at a lot of the trainers at major workout chains know a thing or two, are certified only to the minimum requirement, and honestly, do it as a "cool job and a hangout". I would rather pay a little more, and have someone who is honestly invested in me and my progress. I friend of mine stopped working at a major chain, is going above and beyond in her training, and getting her exercise science/nutrition degree so that she can help more. I love working out with her and feel she knows a lot more than most people that I have trained with.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am a pt... but I'm new to the industry. Even before I was a pt, I often tried to get help from one but they were always so expensive... even if there was a massive sale or discount or something. But yeah, I do agree that the cost of a pt is usually out of reach for the majority of the population. However, a lot of them are not as well off as you'd think.
  • dwhalley529
    Options
    Very interesting. My return to health inspired me to work on my certification. Realizing I did not have the schedule to attend classroom courses, I am working on my cert online and working with a trainer 2x per week for the next 8 mo. I figure the one on one time will teach me a ton and I should be in pretty kick *kitten* shape by the time I'm finished. I got an amazing deal for the long term and worth the investment in this situation. I can tell you the gym I was using went through a major turnover when it went from Bally's to LA Fitness. They got rid just about all of the trainers and really only have a couple of good ones now (thank goodness I got one of them). It definitely has made me rethink my choice to "get into the biz."
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i attend classes at a rented space with a personal trainer/fitness instructor. (bootcamp, buns and guns, circuit training, cardio kickboxing, etc) She charges $35 an hour for actual personal training 1:1. I havent had sessions, because i am not sure what that would offer me, exactly.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I had one, but then she went back to school for her masters in Kinesiology, However she was training me and a bunch of others including her "close friends" at the same time in a group setting, I didn't mind that much bieng an outsider as she priced me WAAYYYYY under the normal rate but I think it got to be too much, her structure dropped off, she started cancelling last minute, getting a lil flaky and now I can't even get a return text telling me if the gym she works at offers a Body pump class. however, i still get texts telling me of events the gym is having. Least i'm still in her contact list i guess. sn:// she was and IS an AWESOME trainer! Her dedication when you had it was the best. Perhaps I will be blessed to come across another trainer of her caliber that works for me on this journey.

O yeah.. There's no way in H-E double hockey sticks I can afford 60 bucks an hour 3-4 times a week. Thing I liked about her also was, no matter how long it took you, 1,2,3 hours, you weren't done until you had worked every muscle and done every exercise she had for you. No oops, your hour is up, we'll do triceps and the other butt cheek next session!!
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found a personal trainer that works out of her home. It is super afforadable ($95 for 8 sessions- 1 hour each). She has 2 people come at a time and kicks my butt! First time EVER I have done weights. Worth every penny. the weight is coming off really slow (.5-1 pound per week), but my body shape is changing. I still have 10-12 pounds to go.
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 12 pt sessions that were included with my bac membership and I a trying to workout a way to purchase more hopefully with some ot $ it'll be possible the gym charges $24 per 30min or $38 per 60min session and I love my trainer I always get discourage when I don't lose weight but getting my measurements and doing strength training has really toned my body and I am so grateful I had my trainer to kick my butt