Seriously ... 1200 calories or less

Options

Replies

• DanaeMaria
    Options
    I'm not the sort to fast, but I do think that the timing of my calorie consumption plays a huge role in how I lose weight. For example, I find that if I eat a protien- or calorie-heavy breakfast, I have fewer issues with hunger or food cravings for the rest of the day, whereas if I skip breakfast I have a hard time shaking that hungry feeling for the next 12 hours. I've also found that eating right before going to bed slows down my weight loss or causes me to gain - I try to stop eating 2-3 hours before I plan to hit the sack.
  • AshleyMaggard
    Options
    I am doing a protein sparing modified fast and have lost 26 lbs (10% of my starting weight) since Jan 21. My typical daily intake is under 600 calories. I'm not starving, I have plenty of energy, and I really think about what I'm eating now. If I think I want something I know is bad for me, I don't just run to the fridge. I sit and think about it, "Do I really want this, or am I just bored?" "Am I actually craving this particular thing, or just some sort of food in general?" Different things work for different people.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I am doing a protein sparing modified fast and have lost 26 lbs (10% of my starting weight) since Jan 21. My typical daily intake is under 600 calories. I'm not starving, I have plenty of energy, and I really think about what I'm eating now. If I think I want something I know is bad for me, I don't just run to the fridge. I sit and think about it, "Do I really want this, or am I just bored?" "Am I actually craving this particular thing, or just some sort of food in general?" Different things work for different people.

I hope I'm misinterpreting this. You're sparing protein - as in, not eating it, eating under 600 calories a day and have lost 26lbs since January. Hate to say it, but if I have that right, it isn't primarily fat you're losing.
  • darcialarosa
    darcialarosa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BMR and TDEE..... not the same thing. Find a calculator online for your TDEE, then 20% less than that number.

20% of my BMR is 1234
    20% of my TDEE is 1984
    That's a pretty big gap...do I set it to somewhere in the middle, and just not eat back my exercise calories? Why is this crap so confusing??!?!?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    BMR and TDEE..... not the same thing. Find a calculator online for your TDEE, then 20% less than that number.

20% of my BMR is 1234
    20% of my TDEE is 1984
    That's a pretty big gap...do I set it to somewhere in the middle, and just not eat back my exercise calories? Why is this crap so confusing??!?!?
    It's not. Take your BMI. Let's say it's 1800. You are Sedentary, so to find your TDEE, we multiply that by 1.2. Your TDEE is 2160. To subtract 20% from your TDEE, multiply 2160 by 0.8, which gives you 1728 - only that is too low, because you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

So, try again with subtracting 15% (2160*0.85) and you get 1836. Still a bit close and you should really consider a 10% deficit, but it's much better than eating below your BMR.

---

My BMR for instance is 2475.
    My TDEE, as lightly active, is 3465.

Because I have a lot to lose, a 20% deficit for me is safe for now and leaves me at 2772 calories per day. I have my goal set slightly lower than this in my diary to account for discrepancies and sauces, seasonings etc.
  • AshleyMaggard
    Options

I hope I'm misinterpreting this. You're sparing protein - as in, not eating it, eating under 600 calories a day and have lost 26lbs since January. Hate to say it, but if I have that right, it isn't primarily fat you're losing.

No, a protein-sparing modified fast means you're cutting out all fat and carbs and getting most of your calories from protein. I eat 100g of protein per day, which is more than the recommended amount for my ideal body weight.

Edit: Essentially you are "fasting" but sparing protein from that fast, meaning you do not cut it out (you actually up it).
  • winniss
    winniss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What everyone seems to have missed is that this is NET CALORIES!!! Walk every day for 30mins so you can consume more food! fill the appetite gap by exercise and burning calories...
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    bump! great post
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating 1200 calories. In fact, I rarely get to 1200. However, I'm not gonna eat all high-cal foods or binge to reach the magic number. I'm not starving, I eat what I want, when I want, the only thing low-fat in my diet is my yogurt, AND, I've had no trouble losing weight either.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What everyone seems to have missed is that this is NET CALORIES!!! Walk every day for 30mins so you can consume more food! fill the appetite gap by exercise and burning calories...

Exactly! Today I have 1677 calories because I WORKED for 477 of them.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Even with exercise, I can't do 1200 calories. Maybe I'm undercounting my exercise but I'm a lot happier on 1700-ish. (I've bumped it to nearly maintenance for the week while visiting family).
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In my opinion(that's right, my OPINION), here is what I have learned from weight loss(and we are talking about a 15 year period here, starting at when I was 13)

Weight Watchers-only works if you read everything and go to meetings, for me. I lost 50lbs when I was 13 and I gained it all back, plus some. Because I was a kid and I wanted to eat like my friends. Tried it again as an adult, never lost more than 10-15 pounds.

Tried Atkins-wasn't sustainable for me, I'm Italian, I like pasta.

Finally, at age 30, I've learned that to lose the weight, it not only has to come from changing how you eat, but from inside as well. Your head will mess with you, tell you you can't eat a certain food, or tell you that you're fat when you look in the mirror. I've read a ton of health related things and I bust my butt while in grad school to work so I can pay for a trainer once a week.

I've learned that for me, 1200 calories a day doesn't work. I tried it for 2 weeks and stopped losing. Now, I'm at 1900 calories, give or take. I eat 40/30/30, and I do cardio 2x a week and lift 3x a week.

EDIT-forgot to mention that I've lost 15lbs in two months, 5 inches from my waist, and 5 inches from my hips. And I EAT FOOD. I just had a burger for the first time in two months, and it was DELISH. I'm not depriving myself anymore, If I workout, I can eat. And I know that now.

This is a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

And for the people complaining that they are being picked on for eating 1200 calories a day, remember this site is called my FITNESS pal and those of us recommending eating more have learned to lift heavier and fuel the body, we've learned that FITNESS helps.

That being said, some people might be okay with 1200 calories. To me, I cannot fathom sustaining a whole lifetime on this.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    *groan* This topic has been dissected so many times that the calories burned for the rant typing of it have equaled 1200 calories :bigsmile:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In my opinion(that's right, my OPINION), here is what I have learned from weight loss(and we are talking about a 15 year period here, starting at when I was 13)

Weight Watchers-only works if you read everything and go to meetings, for me. I lost 50lbs when I was 13 and I gained it all back, plus some. Because I was a kid and I wanted to eat like my friends. Tried it again as an adult, never lost more than 10-15 pounds.

Finally, at age 30, I've learned that to lose the weight, it not only has to come from changing how you eat, but from inside as well. Your head will mess with you, tell you you can't eat a certain food, or tell you that you're fat when you look in the mirror. I've read a ton of health related things and I bust my butt while in grad school to work so I can pay for a trainer once a week.

I've learned that for me, 1200 calories a day doesn't work. I tried it for 2 weeks and stopped losing. Now, I'm at 1900 calories, give or take. I eat 40/30/30, and I do cardio 2x a week and lift 3x a week.

EDIT-forgot to mention that I've lost 15lbs in two months, 5 inches from my waist, and 5 inches from my hips. And I EAT FOOD. I just had a burger for the first time in two months, and it was DELISH. I'm not depriving myself anymore, If I workout, I can eat. And I know that now.

And for the people complaining that they are being picked on for eating 1200 calories a day, remember this site is called my FITNESS pal and those of us recommending eating more have learned to lift heavier and fuel the body, we've learned that FITNESS helps.

That being said, some people might be okay with 1200 calories. To me, I cannot fathom sustaining a whole lifetime on this.

nice post, totally agree!! :-)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

FTW! Best post I've read on this site in quite awhile. I'm with you! I fuel my body to sustain my workouts. I eat 1800+ cals a day. I've lost 101 lbs and still losing along with maintaining the muscle I have built. I'm getting close to my goal and keep waiting for the loss to stall but it hasn't so I'm going to keep plugging away and eating :wink:
  • hyfrydle
    hyfrydle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm sure MFP only states a 1200 calorie diet if it's a short term goal you've entered? (e.g. half stone rather than 4 stones)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm sure MFP only states a 1200 calorie diet if it's a short term goal you've entered? (e.g. half stone rather than 4 stones)

MFP is just a calculator. It can only go by what numbers you plug in. It won't tell you, "Are you kidding me? You only weigh 120 pounds... you can't lose 2 pounds a week!"

That's what the forums are for. :smile:
  • MsTaurus30
    Options
    So what do you say to those who MFP TELLS to eat 1200 or less if they want to lose??? Why even use the site if it isn't accurate or healthy?
    ....I'm curious to know the answer to this :?