First time QUINOA user! Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also like to do a "quinoa pilaf" of sorts. Cook the quinoa in chicken stock. Separately saute' some carrots, celery, mushrooms (or what have you veggies) in a bit of olive oil and finish with stock. Add to the quinoa when cooked with some mixed herbs.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I have tried the mac and cheese recipe that's on here but it was too rich for me using the Kraft Mozzarella w/cream cheese so I thought next time I might try reduced fat colby jack.
    i just used plain mild cheddar, no cream cheese, and it was good. i used a bit extra cheese, but i like cheese and the calories still werent bad
  • elissa463
    Options
    QUINOA AND BLACK BEAN (GLUTEN FREE ALSO)

1 teaspoon vegetable oil or olive oil

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

¾ cup of Quinoa

1½ cups chicken broth / or vegetable broth

1 teaspoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 cup frozen corn kernels

1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

HEAT THE OIL IN A MEDIUM SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT. STIR IN THE ONION AND GARLIC, AND SAUTE UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED

MIX QUINOA INTO THE SAUCEPAN AND COVER WITH CHICKEN BROTH/VEGETABLE BROTH. STIR FROZEN CORN AND BLACK BEANS INTO THE SAUCEPAN, SEASON WITH CUMIN, CAYENNE PEPPER, SALT AND PEPPER. BRING THE MIXTURE TO A BOIL. COVER, REDUCE HEAT, AND SIMMER 20 MINUTES

Add Cilantro last and mix.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of meat when I make chili.

cooked a head and toss in or tossed in with the tomatoes and beans to cook in the pot? i might give this a try!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for the topic and the replies. I have mainly been using quinoa as a substitute for meat in chili or like rice (I make spanish style quinoa instead of rice).

I love the suggestion to steam it instead of boiling and am going to try it today. I also am going to try the broccoli recipe as it sounds wonderful. Thanks!
  • AMQuick1mfp
    AMQuick1mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I toast the quinoa in a pan before I cook it. Adds a nice nutty flavor to it.
    Med hi heat, once it starts to "pop' keep the pan moving until light brown.
    It can burn so keep an eye on it.
  • pugwrangler
    Options
    I make something very similar to this (http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-couscous-159922) but with quinoa instead of couscous. I also use it in any rice recipe, but with quinoa instead. Very versatile.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    I regularly make a quinoa "scramble", and I tried making quinoa burgers just last week.

My scramble tends to look like this:

20111204quinoascramblewithtomatocheddarandcucumber.jpg

1/4c quinoa boiled in water for 13 minutes, drained, mixed with 1/4c egg whites and a tbsp of flax seed meal and whatever veg I have to hand (usually some combination of cooked mushroom/spinach/brocolli/cauliflower). Poured into a frying pan, quartered and flipped after five minutes or so. I usually just mash it up completely to top it with sliced tomato and cheese as in the picture. 300 or so calories for that huge portion.

The burger (sorry, not a great pic) looked like this:

20120306quinoapattiesinhomemadepita.jpg

It was 2 tbsp quinoa cooked in water for 13 minutes and drained, mixed with 2 tbsp egg whites, 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten, 1/4c nutritional yeast and a bit of cooked mushrooms and spinach. I formed it into three little balls and then pan-fried them (smooshing them flatter) in a bit of olive oil, then wrapped them in a homemade pita with tomato and a bit of cheese. The nutritional yeast gave it a cheesy, chewy texture. Yum!
  • mebemini2012
    Options
    Bump!
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    bump!!!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I never thought of adding chicken stock, but Kitchen Basics makes a no salt added very low sodium vegetable stock which may add some flavor. I make tons of salads with Quinoa (most recent is more southwest: corn, black beans, cilantro, red pepper, lime juice, red onion, avocado, tomato = yummy!). Feel free to take a look at my diary! I'm sure I'll have more posted on there since I have a box in my pantry just waiting! :smile:
  • Luvbutterflies
    Options
    bump
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you are out of stock to cook it in, just add a bay leaf

You can also just sprout it overnight covered in water!

Recently,I made a Tasty Salad: Just add Red Bell Pepper
    (chopped large),Mango, Black Beans, Onion +Dress
    I think I used Lemon or Lime / Grapeseed Oil.

FLAVOR EXPLOSION IN MY. MOUTH exact meas.on Tj :flowerforyou:
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I toast it in a frying pan until it is lightly browned and starts to pop and then I pour it into a jar to use as I need it. I buy the kind that is pre washed also. :)

I'm new to quinoa and I love it!!! This recipe is awesome. :)

Quinoa, Apple, Cranberry, and Feta Salad

1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
    3 cups quinoa, cooked (about 1 cup uncooked)
    2 apples, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
    2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    6 green onions, diced or snipped, bulbs discarded
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, a fruity one
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    sea salt and fresh black pepper

Instructions

In a small skillet over medium heat toast walnuts about 5 minutes stirring often. Remove and allow to cool. Add olive oil, 1/3 cup of the toasted walnuts and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl combine quinoa, apples, cranberries, feta cheese, green onions and the remaining walnuts. Pour dressing over top and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Best eaten at room temperature.

aM5O9.jpg
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers! soooo yummy! :)

http://www.thenakedkitchen.com/sweet-potato-quinoa-burgers/
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My favourite quinoa recipe: quinoa cakes with poached eggs!
    http://www.versesfrommykitchen.com/2011/05/quinoa-cakes-with-poached-egg-and-parsley.html
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Try adding some dried cranberries for a nice sweet/sour punch.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump, for a delicious dinner in the near future!