My parents have both died because of poor health.

Options

Replies

• binky78
    binky78 Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I have not lost either of my parents so can't imagine what you are going through exactly but try to keep your head up and will say a prayer for you to give you strength to get through this unimaginable hard time. I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 20+ years and it has been my greatest fear to not be around to watch my children grow up. You have come so far in your weight loss journey just try to keep on keepin on. You can do it!
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Extremely sorry for your loss! Stay strong and positive! This is a life long journey, but you need to take it day by day...sometimes hour by hour! You know first hand the outcome of a poor diet, lack of exercise, and all around bad health choices. Use your parents passing as a way to help motivate yourself and learn from their mistakes.

DO THIS FOR YOURSELF. THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!!!!

I wish you all the best in your journey! Smile! :)
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, you have my deepest condolences. I am so sorry.
  • TBill13
    TBill13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My father lost both his parents when he was young, his mother to cancer when he was 14 (the oldest of 4 children) and his father to a heart attack just after I was born. Both his parents smoked heavily and at the time he lost his father he was chain smoking 3 packs a day. I think the loss of his father promted him at the age of 30 to quit. He quit cold turkey and has never smoked again. This is likely the greatest thing he ever did for his family. He just celebrated his 80th birthday with us last September and is still driving, playing golf, and enjoying seeing his grandkids grow into adults. It seems you have made the same kind of life changing decision for yourself and are setting yourself up for the same kind of long and full life that my father has been able to enjoy. It can be tough to change life habits, keep it up, and keep your eye on the prize!
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    Wow, girl. My heart certainly goes out to you. Your wounds and grief are so fresh...you must be in agony. I lost my step-mother and father to poor health as well (in 1996 and 1997, respectively).

My father, was much like your mother....smoker, sedentary lifestyle, and my father had a very stressful job in addition to being naturally high-strung and a family history of all heart disease, hypertension and eartly death.

Your weightloss already is amazing and you should be VERY proud of yourself....as I'm sure your parents are as well.

Stay strong (breakdowns are more than okay, your father died DAYS ago) and try to keep your eyes on the long term and what good and wonderful things you are doing for your future and your family.

Feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me if you want to chat/vent/cry/scream to someone who has been there too.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you've suffered the loss of your parents so young. My parents also died relatively young, my mom from a blood clot when she was 44, and my dad from complications following open heart surgery when he was 55. It has definitely made me realize that life is precious and short, and that we should take care of ourselves as best we can.

Your loss is still very recent. I can't say time will take away all the pain but it does get better. Many ((hugs)) from someone who knows :smile:
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, my condolences. Both my parents are (thankfully) still alive, though I'm getting increasingly worried the same thing will happen to my dad very soon. He was diagnosed with MS, is obese and smokes nonstop. The doctors have told him he can’t expect another five years unless he changes his lifestyle, but he refuses. He’s said he’d rather be happy smoking and eating what he wants for five years than miserable eating leaves for twenty. How can his family make him understand how much we want him to be there for the next 20, 30, maybe more years. He’s only 50 years old!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My deepest condolences on your loss. That was a brave and honest post.
  • Andufrene
    Andufrene Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm 40 and have lost my mom, dad and brother. I lost my mom in 1983 at the age of 49 to diabetes and my dad in 1999 at the age of 69 he had a blockage in his neck had surgery and the next day died from a blood clot. (Which is when i really started putting on my weight) When i thought it couldn't get any worse in April of 2005 i loss my brother at the age of 49, he had an infection that got into his blood stream. Then to top everything we went through Katrina and lost our home and everything we owned. I honestly think the only thing that kept me together was that I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. It's still hard at times because i miss them so much but it dose get easier just give yourself time to grieve and keep focus on your goals. It took me along time but I'm now determined to get this weight off because i know i need to be here for my son and husband.

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! I really hurt for you. (((HUGS)))
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I am sorry so many of us have gone through this pain. At least we are here to support each other and remind each other why we are truly here.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and your family. My grandfather (who was drafted by the Chicago Bears -- a real athlete in his prime) passed under somewhat similar circumstances about seven years ago, so I know where you're coming from. Let me say, though, that I love your spirit, your attitude, and especially your ticker...it shows that you're are walking the walk, my dear, and you will be successful. :flowerforyou:
  • toglamgirl
    Options
    You have the courage to achieve anything, this you have already proven to yourself and now in memory and to honour your parents, soldier on. BUT first, take whatever you need from your support network to grieve as others have suggested. This is your first priority.

You will know when it is time. Hugs to you.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    OMG. Condolences to you and yours. I cannot fathom what my life would be without my mommy. Seriously. This breaks my heart. I'm trying the best that I can NOW, before I have kids to have a good lifestyle and be a good example to my family. Thanks for sharing - stuff does happen, but I would say a good majority of it is preventable. God bless.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am 31 years old and have lost both of my parents to health related issues. My mom died in 2005 of a heart attack. She was 47 years

I'm right there with you. My mom died of a heart attack when I was 15 years old. She was 46 and did not take care of herself at all. She had untreated high bp, smoked, was obese and never exercised .

I'm flying up to Sacramento on Friday because my father is dying of congestive heart failure. He actually died on Saturday but the medics didn't know he had a DNR order and resuscitated him. At this point, its just a matter of time.

My cousin is my age (34) and has to have a triple heart bypass.

With my family history, I knew I HAD to start taking care of myself.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I lost my mama a year ago. She died of a massive heart attack. She was 61. My daddy called me at 4 in the morning and told me she was sick and to get there quickly. When I got there she was on the couch looking dead at me. She was trying to tell me something but never could ... I called 911 and before I knew it my daddy and brother in law were giving her CPR. It was the worst day of my life. I was there the whole time, hugging and kissing her and begging God to not let her die. But she did. She had never been diagnosed with heart problems. It was such a shock and still is. My daddy has had a triple bypass and I worry everyday about him. I know too well how you feel. I am just now getting back into the swing of losing weight. One day at a time is what I keep telling myself. I am praying for you. I am sorry for your hurt and pain. One day at a time.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am 31 years old and have lost both of my parents to health related issues. My mom died in 2005 of a heart attack. She was 47 years

I'm right there with you. My mom died of a heart attack when I was 15 years old. She was 46 and did not take care of herself at all. She had untreated high bp, smoked, was obese and never exercised .

I'm flying up to Sacramento on Friday because my father is dying of congestive heart failure. He actually died on Saturday but the medics didn't know he had a DNR order and resuscitated him. At this point, its just a matter of time.

My cousin is my age (34) and has to have a triple heart bypass.

With my family history, I knew I HAD to start taking care of myself.

Oh my. I am so sorry for your losses as well.

*hugs*
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    How sad life can be.... so sorry for your loss. Let this be your push to become stronger and live a LONG healthy life.

Hugs!!!!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Adding my sympathy and empathy to those who've already posted...

Amy, you've been doing an amazing job! When you're able to, reflect on how far you've come - that's a major achievement!

I guess my other advice would be to try and wrap yourself in as much love, nurture and support as you can. Reach out to family and friends, church, whoever and tell them specifically what you'd like (people often don't know what to do). Don't be afraid to receive care from others at this time - and in an ongoing way - people are often good for the first week then kind of expect you to get over it. What about attending a grief group?

My mother died of cancer aged 64 last year (I'm 35) - about a month later I nervously attended a grief group. The other folks in the group were all normal people who'd experienced a range of tragedies. It was helpful to get together and hear about everyone's different and similar experiences and support one another and take time to grieve.

The first few weeks after Mum died, I was like a zombie- just really tired all the time, like I had the 'flu. I started tentatively with MFP as a way to control something in my life that had been out of control. It really helped! I could have small successes and something to think about other than all the icky stuff.

Anyway...be kind to yourself and God bless.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My deepest condolences.

When I read stories like this it reinforces my belief that our collective quest for better health isn't purely selfish, that our choices clearly have an impact on our loved ones.

Give yourself time to grieve and heal.