Lies about weight loss...

Options
Do you ever question some peoples weight loss?

If you look at some folks exercise and food diaries... do you think-how the H*LL are they losing weight!?!?

Some of it just doesn't add up.

All the while.. I am trying really hard, and having little to no results.

Eat this .. don't eat that... do this.. don't do that...not eat carbs, don't eat dairy, dont' eat fruit...
UGGGHHHH!!!

I am about over it.

It just isn't as simple as burn more than you eat....
As great as that theory is...it has little to no merit with me.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Replies

• lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If it is simply calories in/calories out, then I need to be studied for science, because I'm defying physics or thermodynamics or something with my major plateau!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to read anyone's diary unless they ask me to do so. And quite honestly, if I did - I wouldn't question their weight loss. What works for some people, won't work for others. If they've hit on something that works for THEM - who am *I* to judge them?

I've had people question me about how much I eat each day and it pisses me off. Just because it may not work for YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. This is a very individual journey and I feel like people need to focus on their own goals and stop worrying about what everyone else is or isn't doing.

I've learned that for me - it IS all about calories in/calories out. My body isn't phased by sodium, sugar, or carbs. As long as I stay under my calories? I'm good. I also know that I have a pretty wide range of calories that I can consume each day and still be fine.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is not on mfp who eats fast food everyday, makes milkshakes almost everyday, pretty much eats nothing but garbage and walks to work and is loosing weight.

different things work for different people.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to read anyone's diary unless they ask me to do so. And quite honestly, if I did - I wouldn't question their weight loss. What works for some people, won't work for others. If they've hit on something that works for THEM - who am *I* to judge them?

I've had people question me about how much I eat each day and it pisses me off. Just because it may not work for YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. This is a very individual journey and I feel like people need to focus on their own goals and stop worrying about what everyone else is or isn't doing.

^^^^^this
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nine pounds isn't bad. Maybe you are overestimating exercise or underestimating calories??????
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If it is simply calories in/calories out, then I need to be studied for science, because I'm defying physics or thermodynamics or something with my major plateau!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grumble:
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that, too. I do find it annoying, but I'm trying to get over it. I'm here to get healthy.
  • Isee_Inpoetry
    Options
    I am often skeptical about others results, but I've stopped caring what others are doing. I, however had to stop lying to myself. Fad diets didn't help. Weight loss pills prove to be a medical risk and I didn't want to chance it. I only go by what's been proven to work. Eating 6 small meals a day of things that are good for you. With moderate to no excercise I've lost 6 pounds in about two weeks...

Now I've decided to kick up the exercise a notch and stop cheating ( I think I've awarded myself 1 cheat day for every two days I do well LOL). What ever you do don't give up. I got pissed off in the beginning and quit, but I am so tired of tucking my pants instead of buttoning them or wearing tights.

I have set realistic expecations for myself and I've found my little piece of motivation ( in the form of a bathing suit I must look amazing in by May!) Add me as a friend and we'll keep each other pumped. This task of loosing weight or counting calories doesn't have to be daunting... if you are not alone.

Just "food" for thought (pun intended)
  • kevin_d77
    kevin_d77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.....
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, it's impossible to compare one person's weight loss to another and get an accurate idea of what will work for you.

I, for instance, lost 15lbs one semester in high school eating nothing but donuts, Junior Mints, and pizza, because I was running cross-country and training for my black belt. Most people wouldn't lose weight while eating crap like that, but I did, and still can, because my body is just super-efficient at burning off crap, so long as I'm working out.

I don't question how other people lose weight, because it would just set me up for personal failure, because I'm not them.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    While I agree that this is an individual journey for people I relate to what the OP is saying here. It's not that we don't know it is an individual journey but that we wish we could have that same amazing story. I personally have to eat very carefully and do some form of exercise every day to see the weight come off. If I slack even a little my weight loss either stalls or I gain weight. I don't think the OP was trying to insinuate that what anyone is doing is wrong, rather offering up personal frustration about the difficulties some people have as compared to others who seem to have it easier.

I wish I had the metabolism to eat "bad" foods and not have disastrous results afterwards.
  • Jenny1061
    Jenny1061 Posts: 29
    Options
    i don't question others weight loss but i do question these lose weight fast pills and programs that people get suckered into... it's plain and simple, eat healthier and get more activity.. that's all there is too it.
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    Every body is different and there is no fix. I'm doing great now but I know it could change. I have a friend who just beat stage 3 breast cancer and is on the road to recovery. She tried for months and months since getting better and OK to workout and only now is seeing results and she is 10 years older than me. Medical reasons can affect weight loss or stress. You do your best and if your doctor is happy and you are healthy that is what matters. You will start losing so don't worry. Sometimes the body is just plain stubborn too.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Is your daily goal 2,000 calories? That might be a bit high.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Another thought is you don't know what their eating habits were like BEFORE. Sure maybe they are indulging in a big mac and fries but before they would have two big macs and fries with a shake and cutting down to one makes significant weight loss. Also you don't know what they may be doing that they aren't logging. Perhaps they went shopping and parked at the end of the parking lot shopped for three hours and didn't log it as workout time even though they may have gone a mile or two around and around the store. I know I pick up and play with my five year old and one year old all day but I don't count that as cardio or as strength training even though it would be like lifting 45lb weights reps with 20lb dumbbells. So in essence just looking at food doesn't give you the whole picture.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    For the most part the "calories in vs calories out" logic seems to work for me.

I do 2 "extras"

1) watch my sodium (because I suck up water like a sponge, and to high of sodium WILL stop me from losing...and to high for me is 2500 sadly).

2) And I don't eat my exercise calories (unless I'm starving and feel like I'm going to die lol)

But otherwise if you looked at my diary, I would probably be one of those people who you think "how the heck are they losing weight"...because I eat all kinds of foods. Not low carb, Not low fat, Not "clean"...Just food, and I try to stay under calories.
  • kkester63
    kkester63 Posts: 28
    Options
    Calories in vs calories burned that's the basis of FAT/MUSCLE loss/gain. That isn't the full story of weight loss. Your body will retain water, fat stores, other body tissues and fluids depending on the demands you place on it, your health etc... If you intake less calories than you burn you are losing fat and potential muscle mass regardless of what the scale shows. Plateaus in scale movement are so dependent on so many health / nutrition matters that you have to take it on faith that the fat is leaving or muscle mass and fat stores are increasing (depends on which way you are working).

Your scale will move in the direction you worked for just timing is not always that speedy change you want to see.
  • lilcmac22
    lilcmac22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have found questioning others weight loss is not a good thing for me to do because I start comparing myself to others. This puts you on a roller coaster of doubt and frustration. I only have to be better than myself. Also, it is not ultimately about the end result, but about the journey. I want to not only lose the weight, but create a lifestyle of better health- not temporary, but for all my years given on earth. Focus on listening to your body and what you need to do to lose the weight. Don't worry about the rest- it is just small potatoes.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I have noticed that, too. I do find it annoying, but I'm trying to get over it. I'm here to get healthy.

Saw this and there was a spot on the screen where it should have said TRYING actually looked like FRYING....I cracked up.