Other factors affecting weightloss?

Options
Ok, so I know that weightloss = calories burned - calories consumed but is there anything else that affects how it comes off?
I have been eating my BMR and not doing loads of exercise so I know I'm not under or over eating. I've been losing the same 1-2lb for a month now and it's getting tedious. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, the weight goes back up!

I have Implanon so wondered if this could be one of the reasons. I also breastfeed but only once a day. I'm planning a visit to the doctors so wondered if there's anything I should get checked?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe change up your exercise. You're body gets used to the same exercise and doesn't lose anymore or as much. Also maybe some more protein in the diet
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR GENERAL CURIOSITY OF ANSWERS!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    sleep
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm with moodyc82: change up the exercise! Have you tried HIIT/tabata? What about weight-bearing exercise? If you're doing really low-intensity workouts, you might need to up it some.

If you walk: on a treadmill - up the incline! Outside - look for hills!

Have you tried classes or DVDs? There are tons of ways to help you push a little harder. Good luck! (And definitely do listen to the doctor ... obviously)

It'll get there! :smile:

Edited to add: also sleep and reduce your stress. Seriously, stress is murder on the body (I know that's easy to recommend and hard to do)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. How are your sugars? Are you going over a lot? A woman is supposed to have around 24-30gs of sugar a day. I plateaued for 5 months, but as soon as I started tracking my sugar, the weight started coming off again.

Sugars in fruit are "better" than added sugars, but you should still be watching them. Go for lower sugar fruits and veggies (yep, veggies have sugars too!).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sleep, stress, hormones
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't think I exercise enough for it to need changing yet lol
    Example - I have Wii Active 2 and Zumba. I will do these a couple of times a week. I have 2 children so will go to the park with them maybe once a week, weather depending.

My protein is ok-ish. Not sure how I'd increase it. I currently have around 70g per day.

Sleep - ha! I get around 7 hours a day, depending on how awake my kids are.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My protein is ok-ish. Not sure how I'd increase it. I currently have around 70g per day.

Eggs, Lean Meats, Nuts, Protein Shakes.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. How are your sugars? Are you going over a lot? A woman is supposed to have around 24-30gs of sugar a day. I plateaued for 5 months, but as soon as I started tracking my sugar, the weight started coming off again.

Sugars in fruit are "better" than added sugars, but you should still be watching them. Go for lower sugar fruits and veggies (yep, veggies have sugars too!).

I do check my sugar but it's generally between 50 and 75! I don't like many veggies - probably cos of the lack of sugar lol but the only fruits I like are grapes, apples and bananas.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options

Eggs, Lean Meats, Nuts, Protein Shakes.

Can't eat eggs or nuts. I'm reluctant to do shakes because they're so artificial. My body has an inbuilt intollorance for man-made foods.
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Some say 64 oz. or half your body weight. I'm not sure, but I see that it makes a difference with me. I think it is possible that the birth control could be the cause especially if you have never had this form before, but that would be something your gyno would know more about. Perhaps check your metabolism and thyroid. I heard that breastfeeding does help with weight loss. Good luck!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    you said you have been losing and regaining the same 1-2 pounds for a month? that is how big my daily fluctuation is.

lots of things affect weight change. it can be as simple as how much salt you ate today, to as complex as what you have been doing for the past few months. quality and quantity of food, and how much and in what way you burn are the most important drivers. My BMR is around 1400, and I usually eat about 1400 cals a day, and do very little due to injury. I, too, do not lose weight. If you're within a healthy bmi your body is working very hard to maintain what it has got.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    It's possible I'm not drinking enough but would that cause a loss/gain of the same amount for a month?

I'm making an appointment to get the implant taken out. I haven't had a period (sorry, TMI) in over 3 years, since I got pregnant with my youngest! I'm not sure if I can get my metabolism checked - they might not do that here.
    I will ask about my thyroid. I had it check last year and it was borderline but when I had it rechecked a couple of weeks later it was ok.

Thanks for all the replies :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know that weightloss = calories burned - calories consumed but is there anything else that affects how it comes off?
    I have been eating my BMR and not doing loads of exercise so I know I'm not under or over eating. I've been losing the same 1-2lb for a month now and it's getting tedious. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, the weight goes back up!

I have Implanon so wondered if this could be one of the reasons. I also breastfeed but only once a day. I'm planning a visit to the doctors so wondered if there's anything I should get checked?

Eating BMR is incorrect dieting and can result in 20-50% of losses being lean mass.
    Someday youll have to add that lean mass back.
    That results in you having to eat above TDEE for a period of time and thus....adding back possible fat.

Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off that, youll get a number around 1600-2k daily for calories to eat.
    This is proper dieting and youll only lose fat with little to no lean mass loss.
  • lmsharris
    lmsharris Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on sugar - this is my biggest downful! Even when I have close to 1,200 calories (far too low) my sugar and fat intake are too high.....it's a tough balancing act.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    you said you have been losing and regaining the same 1-2 pounds for a month? that is how big my daily fluctuation is.
    Yes, as in I start at 153.5, go down to 151.5, back to 153.5, down to 151.5. Currently at 152.8
    lots of things affect weight change. it can be as simple as how much salt you ate today, to as complex as what you have been doing for the past few months. quality and quantity of food, and how much and in what way you burn are the most important drivers. My BMR is around 1400, and I usually eat about 1400 cals a day, and do very little due to injury. I, too, do not lose weight. If you're within a healthy bmi your body is working very hard to maintain what it has got.
    I wish I were in a healthy BMI :)
  • StarryEyed500
    Options

Eating BMR is incorrect dieting and can result in 20-50% of losses being lean mass.
    Someday youll have to add that lean mass back.
    That results in you having to eat above TDEE for a period of time and thus....adding back possible fat.

Figure out your TDEE and take 20% off that, youll get a number around 1600-2k daily for calories to eat.
    This is proper dieting and youll only lose fat with little to no lean mass loss.

My TDEE - 20% = my BMR.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    U could see if ur thyroid is off. Birth control always made me gain weight tho.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    From my point of view, if it's only been a month, that's not long enough for it to be a problem.

If you are eating at your BMR and not really doing a whole lot of exercise, then there isn't really a whole lot of deficit. I would really only expect a loss of a pound or two a month, maybe three. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Slow and steady wins the race. But your body can gain and lose a few pounds just from natural causes (I've seen myself gain as much as 5 over night). Time of the month, sodium, water retention, food etc. So at that level of weight loss, it's going to take a few months to see a consistent loss.

Keep doing what you are doing. The weight will come off.

ETA: Eating at least your BMR is absolutely correct.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    medication is a big factor x