How to reduce Body fat %

Options
I am already on a low fat regimin of 30g or less per day. Does anyone know if this will continue to make my body fat dwindle or do i need to consume even less fat? I am also working out intense cardio 5-7 days/week along with strength training m-w-f.

Replies

• RachRice29
    Options
    Don't forget that just eating fatty foods isn't the only thing that contributes to body fat. Keep an eye on your carb intake as well. Any carbs you don't burn as energy gets converted into fat as well.

It sounds like you're on the right track, otherwise - spending a lot of time on cardio and building up muscle. Keep it up!!!
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Dietary fat =/= body fat. One can eat a high fat diet, and lose weight as long as they are in a calorie deficit.

Anything you don't burn can be converted into fat, even protein.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that i am on a low carb max of 125 low of 50 depending on the day. and a very high protein diet. I'm in the process of training for a fitness/bodybuilding competition.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat =/= body fat. One can eat a high fat diet, and lose weight as long as they are in a calorie deficit.

^ This.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Small caloric deficit (figure out your TDEE and cut 20%), weight training, and high protein. But mostly stay away from processed foods.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I did that for years and while it worked when i was young in my 20s it didnt work when i got older and i feel it screwed up my metabolism maybe worse than my eating disorder as a teen. It also made my skin dry. If you look at my diary I eat a lot of fat but in nuts seeds avocados etc. Good oils are essential. I would be careful with that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat will not make you fat, a caloric surplus will. Fat is essential to many of the bodies functions I suggest you re-think your approach.

I suggest a small caloric deficit of 250 cals/day (0.5lb/week weight loss goal) and to begin a heavy weight lifting program (Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting for Women). Also make sure you are getting enough protein 0.8 to 1.0 grams per pound of lean muscle, and your fat intake should be around 0.35 grams per lb of goal weight, the remainder of cals can be more protein or fat or from carbs. If you don't know your body fat I would suggest 0.7 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of goal weight.

Your deficit can be from diet alone or a combination of diet and exercise. If you are following MFP's guidelines for caloric intake, you should be eating back most of the cals burned from exercise as well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Following along as I'm shifting from "blind" weight loss to a more strategic cut. I want to slow down my weight loss a bit to focus more on fat loss/muscle retention rather than simply a lower number on the scale.

FWIW...
    I'm 35 year old male, 170lbs
    Cardio 3-5x per week.
    Heavy lifting 2-3x per week.
    Current daily averages: 1800 net cals, 68g fat, 224g carbs 195g protein

I'm slowly increasing my net cals to 2000 then re-evaluating. TDEE is generally around 2500 depending on the workout for that day.
  • jennifer52484
    Options
    Following along as I'm shifting from "blind" weight loss to a more strategic cut. I want to slow down my weight loss a bit to focus more on fat loss/muscle retention rather than simply a lower number on the scale.

FWIW...
    Cardio 3-5x per week.

I'm slowly increasing my net cals to 2000 then re-evaluating. TDEE is generally around 2500 depending on the workout for that day.

At this point I am less focused on seeing the number on the scale go down and more focused on gaining muscle and reducing my body fat %.
    I am 27 135lbs
    Intense Cardio 5-7 days/week
    Mon - Back & Shoulder
    Weds - Legs
    Fri - Bi's and Tri's
    Abs every other day.
    Five day cycle of Protein - Carbs - Fats Average day 170g protein 80g carbs 30g fat
  • jacksonpt
    Options

FWIW...
    Cardio 3-5x per week.

At this point I am less focused on seeing the number on the scale go down and more focused on gaining muscle and reducing my body fat %.

*snip*

Five day cycle of Protein - Carbs - Fats Average day 170g protein 80g carbs 30g fat

That's an average of 1270cals. That seems low to me given all the exercise. Do you know what your typical TDEE is? Figure that out, then reduce it by 15-20% and use that for your daily target. My guess is that you should probably be closer to 1600-1700 cals per day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

FWIW...
    Cardio 3-5x per week.

*snip*

That's an average of 1270cals. That seems low to me given all the exercise. Do you know what your typical TDEE is? Figure that out, then reduce it by 15-20% and use that for your daily target. My guess is that you should probably be closer to 1600-1700 cals per day.

Agreed, 1270 seems really low, I only weigh about 5 lbs more than the OP and aim eating 1820 Net for cutting, as a man I will naturally have a higher BMR but not 550 cals more. For your intake I would suggest a 10-15% reduction from TDEE, if you are already pretty lean, otherwise 15-20% at most.

5-7 days of cardio with an intake of only 1270 will most likely lead to a loss of lean muscle, not what you want when trying to lower BF%. I do 2 intense cardio sessions/week for 20 min/session. If you keep up with this cardio you should be eating well over 1500 cals/day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

FWIW...
    Cardio 3-5x per week.

I am 27 135lbs
    Intense Cardio 5-7 days/week
    Mon - Back & Shoulder
    Weds - Legs
    Fri - Bi's and Tri's
    Abs every other day.

You should probably look to cut some cardio and make sure you have a day of rest in your workout schedule. It's just not necessary. Also, you there are some studies that suggest mixing intense cardio and weight lifting will take away from achieving results as your body fights for competing resources. Also, look into adding some chest workouts or even core workouts so you can hit all the major muscles.
  • dls1957
    dls1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat new to MFP so I have a couple of questions. First what do you mean by "intense cardio"? and 5 day cycle of protein, carb, and fats? On a regular day I am burning approx 700 calories (2 times, 350+ each time) on the treadmill. I sometimes mix one of these with some step aerobics. I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months. I would like at least 10 more lbs in the next 2 months but the weight loss has slowed down. I maintain around 1200 calories and eat some (not all) of the burnt off calories back. I started at 150lbs. I have noticed my lower body (butt) has improved alot but I need to get my arms and thighs tightened up, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased some weights to do some strength training and like your schedule. Can you give me some idea of how heavy to start with along with repsand exercies etc? Thanks for your input.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am already on a low fat regimin of 30g or less per day. Does anyone know if this will continue to make my body fat dwindle or do i need to consume even less fat? I am also working out intense cardio 5-7 days/week along with strength training m-w-f.

This is folly.
    Low fat is no bueno!
  • jennifer52484
    Options
    What i mean "intense cardio" for me that is 30-45 mins on elliptical on multiple hill climbs or HIIT on the treadmill for 20-30 mins starting level 7 up to level 9. and at the end of every gym session I add 5 minutes of "HELL" which is just run on the treadmill at the fastest level you can handle and use all that remaining energy.

When i started strength training i was doing 2 sets 8 reps at your max weight you can lift.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

^ This.

^^
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this- what is it that actually reduces your body fat? Exercise or your diet?
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    I was wondering about this- what is it that actually reduces your body fat? Exercise or your diet?

both.
  • jennifer52484
    Options
    This is folly.
    Low fat is no bueno!

Really? Thanks for you super helpful advice.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

A caloric deficit reduces body WEIGHT. That will be a combination of fat and muscle. How much fat and muscle depends on your diet and exercise.
    More cardio = more muscle loss
    Less protein = more muscle loss
    More heavy lifting = more muscle preservation
    More protein intake = more muscle preservation

Thus... protein + heavy lifting = good.

Genetics also play a role.