ashamed to run

Options
Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasnt happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for excercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You know what, if you are motivated to do it, just go for it! So many people struggle to find motivation and seeing how you are motivated to get out in this weather makes me smile! It wouldn't hurt to verify with your doctor that it is safe for you to run, but utlitmately you'd probably be just fine. There's a great program and phone app called Couch to 5k that is great for getting started again.

Last year I spent a lot of time running in my local park on the trails. Though you still see people, it's not quite as daunting as road running when you are not feeling confident in how you look! One of the BEST motivators though is to sign up for a race! You can add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was embarassed as well and I live in a very rural area! Its really ridiculous to be embarassed about bettering yourself so just GO FOR IT! Who cares...the guy driving in the car that you dont know?

PS I will tell you its motivating too because I didnt want to start walking when a car came by....so I'd continue to run which helped with my endurance!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    well, the people that you say are light didn't start like that. If you're ashamed you have to lose your fear. If you're scared of getting winded then do fast walks instead (they're the same as a slow-med paced jog). If you don't wanna be seen I suggest you do it at night around your neighborhood (unless you live in the hood lol).
  • meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think its safe to jog at any weight as long as you pay attention to the cues your body gives you (knee pains and so forth... have it checked out if it causes you issues).

With that being said I did the couch to 5 k to get me back into jogging. Before I had my second daughter i use to jog 3 miles a day 6 days a week. Last year I wanted to get back into jogging so used the couch to 5 k to ease me into it. I'm slow.. always was always probably will be (I'm redoing the couch to 5 k to increase my speed!). I don't like others seeing me run/job but I just remind myself its for me. I love how i feel when I'm done. I hate the first quarter mile of it and ask myself "why the hell am i doing this!"
  • hls0415
    hls0415 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Who cares what people think, its not like you'll see them ever again in your life. Start off with walking at a very brisk pace. Maybe you'll get warmed up to the idea also warm your body up for jogging.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about other people and what they think. I'm always impressed with people who are out running and significantly overweight, I know that they are trying to improve things. It's the ones sitting on the couch eating ice cream that scare me.

Start with a Couch to 5K program. They start from mostly walking with a little jogging and build up slowly to more jogging and less walking.
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started running (more like jogging) when I weighed about 250 lbs. I don't do it anymore (I didn't wind up liking it) but I was able to do it without any serious problems. I did hurt my leg once but that was more poor form. You might get a lot of side stitches and terribly out of breath every time you up time or speed or whatever, but as long as you gradually work up to it you should be okay. I used couch to 5k, like many other people here
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started the C25K program and I love it. When I started I could barely run 30 seconds and now I'm on week 4 and doing 5 minute runs. I'm 300lbs so I don't think your too heavy to run. Just run at a pace thats comfortable for you. I get the whole embarrassing thing....I used to feel the same way. Now i could care less what people think. I'm out there running instead of sitting on couch watching T.V. and I'm very proud of myself! Most people will probably think "look at her go, she's doing good". Thats what I would think if I saw someone heavy run. Its hard work...
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were taking a walk around the lakes by our house yesterday because it was nice outside. Since we were walking slow on the trails, we stepped off onto the grass anytime we heard a bicycle or runner gaining on us. One of these runners happened to be a woman, who was short, about 5'2" and easily close to 300 pounds, and she was hauling! No need to be ashamed, because quite frankly, that's more inspiring to me than seeing someone who is fit running like that! She truly motivated me and she was not ashamed at all. It was most impressive, so I say go on and work it!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I started running at about 279lbs. Quite frankly, I felt the same way you do. I ran about a mile and it took me the better part of 15 minutes... About 20 pounds later, I ran my first 5K and really felt like "what the heck am I doing here?".
    One of the things I found out is that the running community is, for the most part, very accepting, helpful and encouraging.
    If people are driving by wondering about the "250lb woman coming at them", just think, they're driving in their car, maybe eating a Big Mac while you're out getting healthy. Before you know it, you'll be cruising along and you certainly won't be that big anymore.
    Many people will suggest the C25K program - I know a number of people that have had a lot of success with that. You also might want to find a local running store or running club - the ones in my area have groups of various levels that get together for runs on a regular basis.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Fashion-- truly, getting over feeling embarrassed was/is my biggest problem. However, I have been able to conquer it. I run in the mornings, around 7:30-8:00 am-- truly, a very busy time on our roads around here with probably everybody I know taking their kids to school driving right past me. That doesn't bother me at all.

What DOES make me a little more self-conscious is running in the after school hours, when kids are out playing in their front yards, et cetera-- I feel very high school myself worrying about what "mean kids" will think or say. But, it is what it is. I have no problem running in the evening, or in the morning-- but afternoons when kids might be out? I just don't.

Having said that-- while there are a-holes out there that will snicker to themselves, the majority of people look at us and think, as I do when I see others, "Good for them." I saw one lady running the other night after dark. She was bigger, and I felt so sorry for her that she felt she needed to run under the cloak of darkness....yet, I totally understood.

Run when it's convenient for you, and try not to worry about what anyone thinks. You're doing something so incredible for your body that people of character will cheer you on.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    YES! Just do it! ...and when you can't jog any longer slow down and walk awhile...then jog again! It only matters that you want to do it...who cares what others think?
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bah!

Get those thoughts out of your head! Who cares what folks think or say?
    Besides, more times than not, those that are pointing the finger are far from perfect themselves.

You should be commended for doing things to get healthy!

Just worry about you, and not others. You have to start somewhere and keep on your path
    and you WILL reach that goal!

Gratz on the positive changes thus far!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5K program (Week 3!) and I'm over 230 lbs. I know the feeling. I get self-concious when I jog because of my chest. But I put my headphones on, turn on the powersongs playlist, and ignore the rest of the world. Because I'm trying to better myself and get healthy.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Suess

So go out there and run/jog/be awesome!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I say go for it... Never be ashamed to exercise. Nobody will be paying attention anyways. :)
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You know what, nobody really cares what you look like running. I mean even if you think about someone that is thin driving by, they are an afterthought in about 2 minutes. To me what would be more embarrassing is to let the way someone else percieves me get in the way of my goals. I run on the treadmill quite frequently, ( even though I dont know if my knees like it) and people watch me all the time. I did feel that way at one point, but once you start running more frequently, those lbs will shed off, and you will be that toothpick that you see running all the time :-)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same issues. I usually stick to the elliptical machine at the gym to get my calorie burn.

when I do try to jog it is either 5 am or midnight. I sneak into some soccer fields and run 30-40 yard strides on the grass because it is easier on my joints.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wont run on the street, even thou I have already lost allot of weight ... I just feel horrible doing it :(

there are running and jogging routes you can go to first or you can begin by walking until you are comfortable enough to run.

I dont know where you are but this is for the UK

http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/FindaRun.asp

hope that link is helpful :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been actually eating like a normal human being for the last 3 weeks! I am very proud because it hasnt happened to me in a very very long time. Now that I feel I have fallen into a comfort zone and can sustain this lifestyle until I lose weight, I think it's time for excercise. SO I used to love to jog....now the weather is so gorgeous and I want to run outside. But I am huge and am so embarrassed to run in the street. everyone I see running is so tiny and looks great. If I saw a 250lb woman coming at me while driving, I'd be scared! SO I want to run...but am ashamed....anyone else have this problem? I would love some support. Also is it safe to jog at that weight? ( I would probably start dying after 1 minute of a very light jog) but is even that safe? I'd love any ideas on how to get started?

I feel your pain, but you have to get over your "stinkin thinkin." I'm 290 (started here at 327), and have recently started walking/jogging. I sometimes get the same kind of insecurity about it, but then again, when I see a heavy person jogging, I am also inspired. So realize you're more of an inspiration than you know! And be proud of that.

Also, I've just started using the Couch to 5K app on my phone (C25K).. and I absolutely love it. You're not thinking about anyone but the voice telling you when to run, when to walk, and finally when to rest!!! It's awesome.

Finally, lately when I jog, I'll smile at the person coming my way, and they give me a genuine "atta girl" smile right back. It really makes you proud of yourself. Try it... if they don't smile back, just stick out your leg and trip em!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options