• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    bump

Sorry to interrupt. Carry on :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Starting strength is a great book and a great program, but unless you are an athlete and have access to a coach, you may not want to learn the power clean. I strained my neck and was out for four months doing power cleans, and still have problems with it on occassion. It is a very challenging lift to learn on your own. I do my own variation of starting strength now:

Workout A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Calf Raises

Workout B:
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Rows
    Pullups

I sometimes add direct tricep work on the last day of the week.
    Remove the calf raises and pull-ups, and you are doing the Stronglifts routine, which is
    A:
    Squats
    Bench
    Pendlay Row

B:
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think adding 5 lbs a workout is too realistic for those of us who are fun sized. My progression isn't linear, sometimes nothing, sometimes 5 lbs/wk, others 10 lbs/ wk, but not 5 lbs per workout! I think the iPhone app allows you to alter the increment, and also the starting weight for the workout.

Would you recommend deloading when starting this or a similar program?

I noticed also some of these programs call for using a % of your 1RM. How exactly do you determine your 1RM? Right now I'm on 3x8 so not sure what I could safely do for less reps.

Honestly, I'd start with the bar (or much lower than you've been doing) then try the 5lbs every time. You'd be surprised how you can blow past your old weights. I was stuck at 95 on squats forever. I think I started at 65 on Strong Lifts. Moved all the way up to 115 before I had a failure.

And yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to take a week off before starting. I did.

Echoing this sentiment. I'm in the same boat (only I made it to Stage 3 of NROLFW before I finally decided I needed to give it up!!) and have been doing Stronglifts for 2 months. I started out with the bar -- which was a step backwards from where I'd been with NR -- and I'm amazed at how quickly I've progressed.

Also the iPhone app is awesome, very helpful tool to coach through deloading.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Just being a fly on the wall.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What I didnt like about stronglifts was when I filled out the spreadsheet, it showed me the weight progression, and I was having to do one set and change weight on the barbell, do one set and change weight on the barbell, etc. It was too time consuming to stop after pretty well every set. I understand the whys of having to do it, but I couldn't.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What? You don't change weight after every set. Unless you are talking about warm up sets, which has nothing to do with Stronglifts.

You up the weight every time you start a new workout.
  • deekaydee
    Options
    What I didnt like about stronglifts was when I filled out the spreadsheet, it showed me the weight progression, and I was having to do one set and change weight on the barbell, do one set and change weight on the barbell, etc. It was too time consuming to stop after pretty well every set. I understand the whys of having to do it, but I couldn't.

I don't think you are doing it right. You should be at the same weight for each set during a workout.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Were you doing 5 of one exercise and then 5 of another? you should do all 5 sets of each, at the same weight, before moving to the next exercise...right?
  • deekaydee
    Options
    you should do all 5 sets of each, at the same weight, before moving to the next exercise...right?

Yes.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I don't think you are doing it right. You should be at the same weight for each set during a workout.
    This. You totally weren't doing it right. For example, day 1 of SL 5x5 should be Squats, 5 reps, 5 sets at 45lbs. then 5 reps, 5 sets of bench presses at 45lbs, then 5 reps and 5 sets of barbell rows at 60lbs. Not much weight changing going on here.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I don't do either so I'm not going to comment on what is better. But I did want to say I use the Jefit app for my android. You can make your own program on there and it's free.

Your progress in that short time is incredible. I want to shed BF% that easily without the cardio I hate, hehe.

Do I smell a new Intermittent Fasting member?
    www.leangains.com

Go forth and be a low fat guru!

Going off on this tangent, Dan I've been reading this blog a bit now, and I'm confused on how you would organize/set up a IF schedule/calorie intake. He does a lot of myth debunking, and discussion of the benefits, but I'm not seeing where you can clearly set something up individually.
  • killagb
    Options
    I don't do either so I'm not going to comment on what is better. But I did want to say I use the Jefit app for my android. You can make your own program on there and it's free.

Your progress in that short time is incredible. I want to shed BF% that easily without the cardio I hate, hehe.

www.leangains.com

Going off on this tangent, Dan I've been reading this blog a bit now, and I'm confused on how you would organize/set up a IF schedule/calorie intake. He does a lot of myth debunking, and discussion of the benefits, but I'm not seeing where you can clearly set something up individually.
    Without even reading a lot of that, I do know many people practice the IF schedule of fast for 16 hours, then eat all your day's calories in 8 hours.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

www.leangains.com

Without even reading a lot of that, I do know many people practice the IF schedule of fast for 16 hours, then eat all your day's calories in 8 hours.
    Exactly
    Some will fast longer but that is what I do.
    My last meal is somewhere between 7 and 8 then I don't eat until lunch around noon.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the entire thread yet, but I recommend the DVD to accompany the Starting Strength book. It shows Rippetoe coaching several different people through the big lifts... it really helped me, as I'm learning form from home. No coach, no gym. This DVD was just as important as the book itself. I got the 2nd edition book, not the 3rd edition Kindle because I wanted all the diagrams intact. That said, I plan to get the 3rd edition Kindle at some point because the Press is modified somehow.
  • killagb
    Options
    Didn't read the entire thread yet, but I recommend the DVD to accompany the Starting Strength book. It shows Rippetoe coaching several different people through the big lifts... it really helped me, as I'm learning form from home. No coach, no gym. This DVD was just as important as the book itself. I got the 2nd edition book, not the 3rd edition Kindle because I wanted all the diagrams intact. That said, I plan to get the 3rd edition Kindle at some point because the Press is modified somehow.
    Yes, I like the videos of that, fairly detailed information on form, for sure. Especially compared to what you'd find out on Youtube.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like the videos of that, fairly detailed information on form, for sure. Especially compared to what you'd find out on Youtube.

Indeed. And I got my *kitten* busted and chewed on the SS forum for mentioning I'd googled and watched random YouTube vids of Rippetoe to learn form. Warning: If you post on SS forums, read the bible first. Your *kitten* will be handed to you otherwise.
  • enelira
    enelira Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm all about the compound lifts. Why complicate things when you can "keep it simple stupid" and get the same results. That's why I'm interested in these programs.

Also, I enjoy looking like a badass in the man cave portion of the gym.

I feel you. Totally badass
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

This. You totally weren't doing it right. For example, day 1 of SL 5x5 should be Squats, 5 reps, 5 sets at 45lbs. then 5 reps, 5 sets of bench presses at 45lbs, then 5 reps and 5 sets of barbell rows at 60lbs. Not much weight changing going on here.

She was probably referring to the warmup sets. Yes, there is plenty of weight swapping going on. It's not the funnest thing in the world, but that's life. And t's an itty bitty extra workout, slugging all those plates around.

For example, my squats tonight will look something like this including warmup

45 x 5 x2
    95 x 5
    145 x 3
    195 x 2
    245 x 5 x 3 (these 3 are the work sets; the rest were warmps)
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options

She was probably referring to the warmup sets. Yes, there is plenty of weight swapping going on. It's not the funnest thing in the world, but that's life. And t's an itty bitty extra workout, slugging all those plates around.

For example, my squats tonight will look something like this including warmup

45 x 5 x2
    95 x 5
    145 x 3
    195 x 2
    245 x 5 x 3 (these 3 are the work sets; the rest were warmps)

How did you arrive at that many shifts of weights for warmups? I thought we were supposed to do 1/3 of our work weight for 2 sets of 5, then 1 set of 3 with half the weight then go into the work weight... I want to make sure I warmup right so that when I get into the heavier lifts I'm not hurting myself...