Who Has A Garden?

Options

Replies

• jessjayla
    jessjayla Posts: 34
    Options
    i tried a garden for the 1st time last summer and I sucked at it!! Tryin again this yr....
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Now that I'm not capable of maintaining a full garden, I grow herbs for cooking. I'm a wannabe chef. I have 2 raised beds where I grow:

Rosemary
    Tarragon
    Thyme
    Parsley (Italian flat leaf)
    Peppermint
    Basil
    Sage
    Oregano
    Dill
    Chives (Garlic flavor)
    Chives (Onion flavor)
    ... and probably something I've forgotten to mention.

This year I have room for some Kohlrabi. Hopefully, they will grow. Right now they are in one of those little greenhouse planters. I also plant a few flowers here and there, in a window box. And.. of course, catnip plants for the neighborhood cats and the big, housebound, Punkin.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've got kale, collard greens, swiss chard and a few frost hardy herbs that are about 6 in high. Won't plant much more for a few weeks, after the danger of frost has passed.

We just purchased a small abandoned farm so next year I plan to grow most of our food. It's not in any shape for farming yet, but we'll get plenty of exercise getting it back up and running. And we should have plenty of fresh fish once we get the pond stocked. So excited!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What an amazingly overwhelming amount of responses already!! LOVE IT!!

I've got some GREAT new ideas thanks to everyone!

Does anyone else compost - since we are on the topic? We throw all veggie and fruit scraps into a garbage container and then put it in our garden. It was fun seeing some of the different plants we didnt plant POP UP!!
  • Samigirl2012
    Samigirl2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried planting a garden last year but it proved to be too much work for me. This year, I'm planning again and the hard work will count as exercise! I want to plant tomatoes, squash, zuccini, eggplant, collard greens, eggplant and maybe some green/red/yellow peppers.

I'm excited.....
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am putting my peas out very soon. Brussel sprouts are going crazy. I also need to visit the barn down the road from me and request a truckload of fertilizer :)
  • jessicahowell2009
    Options
    I would like to add some new stuff this year. Anyone else have any ideas? Keep in mind, I dont live in the tropics :wink:
    [/quote]

We are going to be doing some herbs such as: Oregano, Basil and Cilantro. I love to add these herbs to my veggies when I cook. :) Happy Gardening!!
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have started on my flower bed, but have never had a garden and though I buy seeds every year it seems they never get planted. This year I moved to a place with a perfect garden spot. Just need to get it tilled and hopefully will get it planted. Gonna plant pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, couple different types of tomatos, cucumbers, corn, peppers. Planting onions. Plus I have different flowers that I need to plant. Hopefully I will get something to grow. Gonna do a harvest theme around the edges of our property with my nephew and niece. Its gonna have different varieties of corn, pumpkins, sunflowers, and daisies. wish me luck :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and this is my first year of giving gardening a fair shake...I bought a plot from our community garden, which is just over a mile from my house. It's a great program where we donate excess crop to the local food pantry.

My list:

Bush Cucumbers
    String Beans
    Sweet Peppers (blend of 5 colors)
    Eggplant
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Lettuce Blend (doing this at garden and on the deck at home)
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Tomatoes (on the deck at home)
    Herbs (on the deck at home)

This weekend I'm planting the seeds in our little indoor greenhouse starter thingy...it's about 4 feet tall by 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep. They'll all be going in the ground late May, except the carrots which can go in earlier.

The plot fee includes manure, water, and use of the composting piles. I'm super excited! My brother in law keeps a garden of about an acre so I'll continue to swipe squash from him!

Happy gardening, y'all!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Does anyone else compost - since we are on the topic? We throw all veggie and fruit scraps into a garbage container and then put it in our garden. It was fun seeing some of the different plants we didnt plant POP UP!!

We used to compost but then I got too lazy to walk everything out to the bin every night, especially in the dark and cold middle of winter so now I just chuck it down the hill next to the house. Keeps the raccoons happy and so far they've stayed out of the garden.
    My work garden gets the best volunteer Mexico Midget tomatoes though!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Glad so many people are growing. :-) I've got lots and lots of strawberry plants. Going to do tomatoes, lettuce, courgettes, potatoes, aubergine, all the herbs especially yummy rosemary, beans, loads more stuff too. Going all out this year x
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We moved mid summer last year, and we now have a nice spot for a garden. The previous owners had a raised box full of ferns and other leafy plants, but I plan on pulling half of it out. I want to try a salsa garden this summer. I've started the following inside:
    -Tomatoes
    -Green, red, & mixed hot peppers
    -Onions
    -Cilantro

Half of what I started has started to sprout already, so I'm feeling good. I live in MN, so I don't think I can safely transport them outside until May at least. Gives me a little time to prep the outside area. Looking forward to it.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I want a bigger garden but this year I think I will do

Tomato regular and cherry
    Lettuce
    Green beans
    Sugar Snap peas

I tried peppers last year and they didn't go so well
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My parents are letting my husband and I use a few acres (and as much horse manure as we want) for our garden. We're planning on growing a wider variety than normal this year:

potatoes
    corn
    roma tomatoes
    onions
    pumpkins
    cucumbers
    summer squash
    spaghetti squash
    zucchini
    green beans
    peas
    carrots
    spinach
    2 varieties of lettuce
    peppers: bell and jalapeno
    herbs: cillantro, basil, oregano

I think thats everything! :) We're in Zone 4, so stuff has to be pretty hardy, and we don't dare plant anything until late April or May.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I may attempt cucumbers and tomatoes this year. We started out some cucumbers one year but then put them outside and they died. :( I don't know if it was heat/sun or kids(or peoples roaming cats/dogs) that ruined it though. It seemed to do good inside just putting in window light. We do have a very very harsh sun.

try just planting seeds in ground...........some veggies don't "like" being transplanted!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Getting garden fever. The weather here is in the 70's now- (in Iowa) so I really want to get going. However, being I live in Iowa, there is a huge chance the weather will revert and we'll have a late blizzard so I am resisting. Things I will plant eventually
    Potatos-red and yukon gold
    Sweet potatos
    Cucumbers
    Tomatos
    Peas-sugar snap
    Maybe some squash
    Zucchini
    If I ever get around to trying eggplant and find I like it I may try those
    This for sure, who know what else by the time i can actully plant one
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

we've started a compost pile in the back corner of the garden, but havent really used it yet
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've got a small garden and will be sowing lots of tomatoes and chillies to be grown in containers, a couple of courgettes (zucchini) and a whole bed full of salad leaves, spinach, spring onions, radishes and other small and/or quickly cropping stuff in between my perennial herbs. I've already got one bed of asparagus crowns (looking forward to our first harvest this summer!) and some rhubarb and alpine strawberries in another bed and strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries and four apple trees in containers scattered around the garden. There's not much room for anything else! :happy:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Bok Choy
    Leeks
    Snow Pes
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Scallions
    Mint
    Basil
    Chives
    Rosemarry
    Soy Beans
    Strawberries
    and pretty much everything you mentioned.

SE Virginia here and we tilled the garden last weekend, it seems like the perfect time to plant but I am skeptical that we are already in to spring as we have had snow in April before :/
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you have a garden, what are you planting this year? When are you prepping your gardens? :flowerforyou:

I live in NE Ohio, and the weather is already perfect for prepping the garden and getting some stuff in the ground (such as Purple Potatoes, which we are going to try and grow this yea :love: r!!). We have two relatively large raised flat beds and also have a cover to go over them that is very similar to a green house effect (it helps so much when the plants are still young).

On my list so far is:
    Onions
    Tomatoes
    Peppers (Bell, Hot and Jalapeno)
    Eggplants
    Summer/Yellow & Butternut Squash
    Purple Potatoes
    Cucumbers

I would like to add some new stuff this year. Anyone else have any ideas? Keep in mind, I dont live in the tropics :wink:

We grow a garden every year, but my husband is the one who does it, but we all love eating the veggies! We are getting ready to till the soil up soon but dont want to plant too early incase we still get a few nights with frost. Im in WV.
    We plant:
    Corn
    Zucchini
    Squash
    Red and White potatos
    onions
    tomatos
    green beans
    broccoli
    carrots
    lettuce
    pumpkins