lifting weights

Options

Replies

• jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I recently switched from the high-bar position to the low bar, I am finding it much easier to break the parallel for whatever reason. In the high bar position, I always "felt" like I was going deep enough, but recording myself showed otherwise.

thanks...will try that...I've been lifting from the higher position. Gotta make sure I'm getting this right.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They're worse than useless; they're dangerous. You will hurt your knees. It is critical to break the parallel. Your hip crease should go just below your knees. A mirror will not really help you. You will need someone watching you and/or a video recorder. Recording yourself doing these lifts is always an eye-opening experience.

Practice with body weight. Increase the weight very slowly. Form comes first, weight comes second.
    Will you explain the first part more? "Critical to break the parallel" specifically. Are you saying you need to go past parallel?

It's somewhat of a gray area. Parallel may be ok, but as a mental cue, I always tell myself (and other people) to make sure they go just past parallel. In order to engage the glutes and hamstrings.

Parallel_Squat_Position.jpg

I think "hip crease should be below knees" may be a more accurate and less ambiguous way to say it.

Photo is from http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts#The_Squat
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i am squating 315.. am i doing it right?
    Full parallel squats or 1/4 squats? See it all the time in the gym.

ALL the time!

i love the moment i can walk into the squat rack after the boys who were barely bending their knees and attack my sets with perfect form.

petty? maybe.
    satisfying? absolutely.
  • jjblogs
    Options
    I've seen very few at my gym go down to parrallel, so I'm guessing I'm not making it that far either. Going to take some more practice. The farther down I go, the more I feel like I'm tipping backwards...maybe not holder the bar just right on my shoulders? Or maybe need to tip forward a bit more....hmmmm.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think "hip crease should be below knees" may be a more accurate and less ambiguous way to say it.
    Got it. I think it's Starting Strength that talks about a common misperception of getting "parallel" from the tops of the legs, which isn't correct. So saying "parallel" often muddies understanding.

I definitely agree - "hip crease below the knees" makes it much easier to understand.

Thanks.
  • taso42
    Options
    I've seen very few at my gym go down to parrallel, so I'm guessing I'm not making it that far either. Going to take some more practice. The farther down I go, the more I feel like I'm tipping backwards...maybe not holder the bar just right on my shoulders? Or maybe need to tip forward a bit more....hmmmm.

yes, some forward lean is normal and in fact necessary. think of it this way... the bar should be over your feet.. so as you go down, you would need at least a little forward lean to keep the bar in the right position relative to your feet.
  • jjblogs
    Options

yes, some forward lean is normal and in fact necessary. think of it this way... the bar should be over your feet.. so as you go down, you would need at least a little forward lean to keep the bar in the right position relative to your feet.

Thanks...thinking about that will help. Will give it a shot.
  • akm4108
    akm4108 Posts: 7
    Options
    JacksonPt, you seem tiny so really won't take your thoughts into consideration when trying to improve my body.

You should shock your body with different movements, and amounts of weight each time you train.

Going extremely heavy everytime your lift is doing it wrong.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Ever see a lion doing push-ups? A cheeta jogging? A gorilla doing pull-ups? Fact is most lifting is over done and sleep is lacking. Enjoy the read...otherwise, enjoy your time in the gym.
    I don't want to make sweeping generalizations, but cheetahs *never* wipe off the machines after using them. So selfish!

neither do monkeys, they just fling poo, hump, and urinate on people.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I recently switched from the high-bar position to the low bar, I am finding it much easier to break the parallel for whatever reason. In the high bar position, I always "felt" like I was going deep enough, but recording myself showed otherwise.

I have the exact same issue when the bar is too high.
  • taso42
    Options
    JacksonPt, you seem tiny so really won't take your thoughts into consideration when trying to improve my body.

You should shock your body with different movements, and amounts of weight each time you train.

Progressively increasing the weight each time we train does "shock" the body, and makes it stronger for next time. Most folks can go quite a while like this before worrying about periodization.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

You know what else works for shocking your body? A taser.

Lift heavy. Get strong. You can do it other ways too, but going heavy is the fastest.
  • jjblogs
    Options
    I just realized that my toilet seat is parallel for me....I've been practicing.....hahahahahaha! I think I've been pretty damn close to parallel at the gym from the feel of it. ;P
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Since we're on a forum I'll add to this that if you're lifting more than once a week you're wasting your time. And if you're doing more than one set you're not working to true failure. High Intensity Training works and I think everyone should put their lifting routines away for two weeks, read the book by Dr. Ellington Darden called "The New High Intensity Training" and experience your true genetic potential in less time. Doubt this? Ever see a lion doing push-ups? A cheeta jogging? A gorilla doing pull-ups? Fact is most lifting is over done and sleep is lacking. Enjoy the read...otherwise, enjoy your time in the gym.
    There isn't enough peer reviewed clinical study to back this. Working to true failure would mean not walking out of the gym at all. Sorry, but if you're going to tout it, then it has to be total. If you can do another set of reps after resting a minute or 2, was it true failure?
    This is broscience and has been around since the Mike Mentzer and Darden got together. Darden also touted "Nautilus" machines over free weights with Arthur Jones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Like I suggested: read the book and give it a try. Works for me and ANYONE else I've ever talked to who has tried it. It worked for Duke, the Army, the many who've trained under this regimen including Casey Vitore...I'm busy. I'm adding reps and/or weight to every exercise, every week based on the notion we're not giving muscles adequate time to recouperate. Nature hedges her bets...if you break your body down with failure sets your body builds back because it FAILED...not because it got close. Once you fail there's no point in returning to that exercise...move on to the next muscle group. Then LEAVE the gym and go about your life. There's no reason to spend countless hours in a gym unless you just want to take in the sights/smells and strut your stuff.
  • 19danno77
    Options
    Since we're on a forum I'll add to this that if you're lifting more than once a week you're wasting your time. And if you're doing more than one set you're not working to true failure. High Intensity Training works and I think everyone should put their lifting routines away for two weeks, read the book by Dr. Ellington Darden called "The New High Intensity Training" and experience your true genetic potential in less time. Doubt this? Ever see a lion doing push-ups? A cheeta jogging? A gorilla doing pull-ups? Fact is most lifting is over done and sleep is lacking. Enjoy the read...otherwise, enjoy your time in the gym.

I've also never seen a gorilla pee in a urinal. Our needs and the usage of our bodies is totally different. Maybe if we ran around on all fours in the jungle and scavenged for our food, we'd only need to lift once a week.

If we foraged for our own food we wouldn't need MY FITNESS PAL either. If you value your times and want a challenge, give it an honest try...even Arnold Schwarzenegger gave it a go back in his day. In a world of gimicks, this doesn't even require that you buy the book or a DVD. It's a philosophy that we're overworked and under-rested. The usage of our bodies is no different. We eat food to produce heat so we don't die. We evaporate water in our lungs to stay cool, or turn to sweat when heat production increases beyond that capacity. Heat production increases when we do work. It's called friction...a lot of that occurs when our heart rate speeds blood to body parts when oxeygen demand increases.
  • 19danno77
    Options

And you eat Paleo, I presume?

j/k...

HAH! No. I think you can see my diary if you want...my only target is less than 50% caloric energy from carbs. I'm working on getting more and more grains out and switching for meat and nuts. I still don't track veggies unless they're soaked in butter/oil. 2 calories in a cup of spinach? Um, MFP will be nonethewiser.
  • jjblogs
    Options
    Let me get this straight aydx...you only lift 1 set of various lifts once a week to failure? That's it???
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Like I suggested: read the book and give it a try. Works for me and ANYONE else I've ever talked to who has tried it. It worked for Duke, the Army, the many who've trained under this regimen including Casey Vitore...I'm busy. I'm adding reps and/or weight to every exercise, every week based on the notion we're not giving muscles adequate time to recouperate. Nature hedges her bets...if you break your body down with failure sets your body builds back because it FAILED...not because it got close. Once you fail there's no point in returning to that exercise...move on to the next muscle group. Then LEAVE the gym and go about your life. There's no reason to spend countless hours in a gym unless you just want to take in the sights/smells and strut your stuff.

Any lifting program worth it's salt will produce results, certainly more so than not working out. You may think the program you follow is 'best', which is fair. Saying that other lifting paradigms are a waste of time though is pretty short sighted and takes a away a good amount of your credibility (I, and I think many others as well, have a tendency to be skeptical of anyone saying 'this is the only way to do things and have success'). I'm currently on the StrongLifts track and am having quite a bit of success with that.
  • 19danno77
    Options

No, but I've never seen them sit at a desk punching at keys on a keyboard all day either. If I were still a wild thing in my natural habitat I wouldn't have to exercise because my lifestyle would show on my body, but as it stands I have to earn money which means sitting on my *kitten* all day, so I have 1 hour per day to get in what my ancestors would do to survive. The arguement goes both ways and I don't think it holds much water.

Our body only builds slightly more muscle than it thinks we need for the next of life's challenges. But it can't fully recouperate if you're unwilling/unable to give it the week off it needs for a full recovery. Much of what our ancestors did in a day required little exertion...tending to children, livestock/farming (fast forward a few thousand years), walking, stalking the next kill, etc. Relying upon calorie dense foods from a kill (mammoth, buffalo, etc.), meant hunts didn't happen every day, and not every hunt was successful. Which is why our bodies got so damn good at storing food on our bodies...when we had extras it KEPT it. Which is why we need MFP to eat ONLY what we truly need in order to get back to a healthy weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say I've researched this (along with other like Dogg Crap training) before you were 5 years old. Even guys like Dorian Yates who believe in high intensity exercise do more than one set.

http://www.trulyhuge.com/dorian_yates_workout.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition