we got the beets

Options
2»

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    The benefits (and natural sugar content is actually not too bad) far outweigh any sugar concerns.

Beets contain a variety of health promoting nutrients and phyto-chemicals. One compound called betacyanin is a substance that gives beets their crimson hue. This pigment appears to give beets its potent cancer-fighting power.

Even though few studies on beets and their ability to fight cancer have been completed, Europeans have used beet juice for years to help combat the disease. Beets also contain a healthful helping of folate, known to help prevent birth defects. A half-cup of boiled, sliced beets contains 45 micrograms of folate--nearly 11% of the Daily Value. Beets also contain an ample supply of potassium and iron. If you want to prepare fresh beets, cook them lightly. The longer you cook beets, the fewer anticancer properties they retain.

If you eat enough beets, your urine may temporarily turn pink or red, a condition called beeturia. Don't worry--the condition is harmless and will go away, often within a day.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Beets taste like dirt, no matter how well you wash them.

This!!! I hate beets. :sick:
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Avoid bad sugars... never healthy natural sugars from fruits or veggies!!! :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over too. I have a banana and an orange and it is shot for the day. I try not to look at it because they are fruit sugars.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

If you eat enough beets, your urine may temporarily turn pink or red, a condition called beeturia. Don't worry--the condition is harmless and will go away, often within a day.

Umm.... This would scare me. Lmfao.
  • bigdizzawg
    bigdizzawg Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Lies! You know you love them, it's why they're red... they're filled with love...:heart:
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options

Try peeling them. I love beets! They're very nutritious. I don't eat them every day though, only when they're in season.
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but every time I see this pop up in my News Feed I start singing like The Go Gos

same here
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Lies! You know you love them, it's why they're red... they're filled with love...:heart:

Dirty love, maybe.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Do the beets make your poop red? Because that's anal, too.

LOL.. funny
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Do y'all eat them fresh or out of the can? I don't want someone to illustrate how awful canned foods are. Blah.
    I am now craving some beets, so I might have to go to the store now. Thanks.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    They make the most awesome colour smoothies

67206_460271150853_5964225853_5481387_3085384_n.jpg
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever eaten a beet in my life. Hm. That's going to have to change. How should I prepare it?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but every time I see this pop up in my News Feed I start singing like The Go Gos

ME TOO!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever eaten a beet in my life. Hm. That's going to have to change. How should I prepare it?

Cut off the greens to cook separately (very good sautéed) , scrub them really well, rub them down with olive oil, stick them in an oven proof dish, cover and roast at 350F for about an hour. After they cool a little, scrape the skins off. I used to think beets tasted like dirt, too, but I like them roasted. Oh, and you can eat them with a little vinegar if you like.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Cut off the greens to cook separately (very good sautéed) , scrub them really well, rub them down with olive oil, stick them in an oven proof dish, cover and roast at 350F for about an hour. After they cool a little, scrape the skins off. I used to think beets tasted like dirt, too, but I like them roasted. Oh, and you can eat them with a little vinegar if you like.

If you want to prepare fresh beets, cook them lightly. The longer you cook beets, the fewer anticancer properties they retain.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love beets, as a matter of fact I have a quality beet salad on my meal prep plan for next week!

If you buy really good beets (it can be a crap shoot) they are one of the best vegetables. Every once and awhile a bad beet will slip in and yes those do taste like dirt. Definitely peel all beets.

I like them roasted at a high temp. They get so naturally caramelized and so good.

I can't wait until our local farms start producing organic, extra sweet ones. I will be at the Farmer's Market every Saturday.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    Love me some beets! Mmmm..