Do you log walking your dog?

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. BUT I don't really consider walking exercise. Personally, I should be sweating my *kitten* off and out of breath for an activity to be considered exercise. If I take my dog for a strenuous hike or for a run, I do log it.

you don't consider "walking"exercise or walking the dog exercise. Cuz walking is definitely exercise for a lot of people. And its a fat burning exercise if you are walking at 60% which for me is 4.0 mph. Even I take a 2 mile stroll after meals-and its definitely counted!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I walk my dog an hour every morning and we go for a brisk walk. I don't sweat like when I work out later in the day, but my heart rate's up and I'm breathing hard so ya I log it.
    You walk your dogs 3 hrs a day? wow! lucky dogs!
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Walking my dog isn't part of my daily routine because we have a big backyard and we play with him/exercise him out there most days so if we do take him on a walk I log it as exercise.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't walk my dogs every day. i have a dog walker for two days of the week cause my husband and i work long hours those two days. on the weekend my husband will take them on a hike and i am not always there. so i log it, but i am also set to sedentary. also, since i have started to work out i find that i am walking with purpose and sweating like crazy....dogs are panting and loving the new pace!!!
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I log it because I plan it as my weekend - no other workout activity. We live out in the country so I don't walk my dog everyday - but on Sundays we take a nice long hike to the lake. I also keep my profile settings intentionally at a low activity level as I never quite trust those generic activity/calorie settings. I would eventually like to get a bit more serious about figuring out my TDEE and play around with those numbers more.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If I had a dog, and if, when I walked it, I was walking really fast, then damn yes!! Walking fast counts as exercise and anyway I'd be wearing a HRM so that would definitely count! If I had a dog, obviously!! LOL!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If your lifestyle setting is sedentary, heck yeah! There's even a built in entry "walking 3 mph, walking dog".

i know, i see people logging 5 minute dog walks, and am wondering wtf, isn't it their dog? doesn't the dog get to go out every day? (they usually only log it twice a week...) and seriously, 5 minutes is barely out the door...

my lifestyle setting is active, and i figure if the dog walking and grocery store runs give me an extra cushion, that's bonus.

I don't own a dog, but use that entry often because it is the only 3.0 mph one. Maybe that's what their 5 min is, either that or poor doggie.
    If you are sedentary and/or very obese, I think every little bit counts. However, if you are pretty fit already, I think logging tiny walks, grocery store trips, and everyday cleaning is asinine.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I am guilty of logging a three minute dog walk--only once, though. The way I figure it, a calorie is a calorie.
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only reason my diary says "walking dog, 3.0 mph" is because there is NO exercise in the MFP database for treadmill, 3.0 or 3.5 mph. Or if there is, I have been unable to find it. I'm actually logging treadmill minutes, and usually 45 minutes at a time, (not 5!). And yes I am huffing and puffing and sweating, so yes it counts! In fact, I can't imagine actually walking a dog at that speed for that much time. Dogs have a mind of their own and might want to stop, or slow down.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since I'm sedentary, if I walked my dog more than 1/2 hour a day, I would probably log it. That is a good amount of activity especially if they are big active dogs. I log my lunch walks too. If I had a different setting beyond sedentary, then I may question adding since I would think those types of calories are built in.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs and we all go walking together.

You better believe I log that. If walking those three crazy pooches at once doesn't count as exercise, I don't know what would.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I take my dog out walking for a full hour, over tough mountainous terrain, moving 4.25 mph. My heartrate monitor shows anywhere from 600-650 calories burned for each of those walks. I'd be insane not to log that!

(I don't use the 'walking the dog' entry either - I count it as hiking, because that's what it actually is! The presence of my dog doesn't make it *not* hiking! LOL)

Also... my activity level in MFP is set to sedentary.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I have three dogs too and log their walks, I have an app for my phone that keeps track of my walking speed and tend to average between 3 and 3.5 mph.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but I log when I walk myself :drinker:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have cats. Should I log negative calories burned for not walking them?
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I log all of my exercise activity...walking, running, boxing, lifting, etc. I think my dog is pleased that I joined MFP because I've been taking her for more walks. :smile:
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I never did but then I found myself walking for an hour so I began to log it.
    Do what you feel, I see people log Cleaning so every movement counts
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You can only log it if you walk your dog like this

walking-with-a-dog-on-his-head_thumbnail1.jpg
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i always log it! feels good to see the calories burned and a walking is exercise so why not? :) just my view anyway lol

14580293.png
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I didn't at first but my lifestyle is set as sedentary so I log them now.
    Especially as my dad wants the dog to love him more so he keeps taking her out just before I get home and things so its not gaurenteed everyday-.-