Running -

Options
2»

Replies

• doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great..... and when you you get the basics down, I would move over to Hal Higdon's program for improving.

Get fitted for shoes! We can all recommend the brand that works for us- but you are not US. Bottom line is we all have very different feet and running styles- your best bet is to be fitted.
  • CrazyHedgehog
    CrazyHedgehog Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The problem is the big sports shoe shop nearest me, employs teenagers who are very polite, but I know they do not know any more about fitness than me! (I know, because a few of them are my IT students!!)

so assume I will be my own shoe fitter, what should I be looking for?
    tight fit? spongy? rubber sole? arch? leather? high ankle? etc.. running on fairly bumpy roads,
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If there is a "real" running store near you, it's probably worth a pretty long drive to get a gait analysis. If that's not an option, maybe read up a little about gait analysis and shoe basics online. I think there are some youtube videos that show how to do it at home if you have access to a treadmill and video camera.

As I mentioned in my other post, in my case proper shoes made a HUGE difference, and in the 3 weeks since then I've been able to run much more often (24 or 36 hours rest instead of 48 hours minimum) and still haven't had any shin split or joint pain. I was right around 300lbs when I started and found myself literally hobbling around for hours after my first runs. Now I finish the runs and feel like I could turn around and go back out for another.

Obviously not everybody will get such dramatic results from shoes, but that's my experience.

I don't think the gait analysis is rocket science (it was a teenage guy at the store who did mine) but it made a big difference. And that's what I couldn't get at the sporting goods store at the mall. I paid more for the shoes than I would have online or at a bigger store, but I felt that was reasonable for the service. And of course when these need to be replaced I can shop at Zappos.com or whatever.

Anyway, YMMV. But if you have shin splits and other pain it's worth looking into! Never thought I could run pain-free, but here I am smiling at the end of my runs :)

(I agree with the post that we can only recommend brands that work for us, and we're all different. But for the record I ended up getting Brooks Adrenalines after trying on about 5 pairs from different brands)

Tim
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the double post, but if you're curious about gait analysis, here's some very basic info and a short video clip from the site for the store I went to. No, I'm not affiliated with the shop--I'm just a satisfied customer. I'm so happy that I figure they earned a little free advertising :)

http://www.solesportsrunning.com/video-gait-analysis.htm
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    If you have never ran before, start out slow either a fast walking pace or jog. I was trained to start out running then walking. For example run for 3 minutes, then walk for 1, so forth and so on, until you start to build your endurance and breathing. Each time you run, take your running up at least 2 minutes. Then eventually you will be running non stop. Set a realistic goal and something you can aim for. Remember that creating is the most important part of running (besides) good shoes, and do not eat a large meal before running you will cramp. Eat within one hour of running as you will still be burning those calories.
  • CrazyHedgehog
    Options
    For example run for 3 minutes, then walk for 1,

Are you Mad? 3 minutes? really?
    I am struggling with 30 seconds at the moment!!
    I think my 'slowly' and your 'slowly' might be slightly different!!....

but what is 'creating'??
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Next time I'm attempting to: run 90 seconds - walk 2 minutes - run 90 seconds.. and so on :D thank you for all the repplies
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If there is a "real" running store near you, it's probably worth a pretty long drive to get a gait analysis. If that's not an option, maybe read up a little about gait analysis and shoe basics online. I think there are some youtube videos that show how to do it at home if you have access to a treadmill and video camera.

As I mentioned in my other post, in my case proper shoes made a HUGE difference, and in the 3 weeks since then I've been able to run much more often (24 or 36 hours rest instead of 48 hours minimum) and still haven't had any shin split or joint pain. I was right around 300lbs when I started and found myself literally hobbling around for hours after my first runs. Now I finish the runs and feel like I could turn around and go back out for another.

Obviously not everybody will get such dramatic results from shoes, but that's my experience.

I don't think the gait analysis is rocket science (it was a teenage guy at the store who did mine) but it made a big difference. And that's what I couldn't get at the sporting goods store at the mall. I paid more for the shoes than I would have online or at a bigger store, but I felt that was reasonable for the service. And of course when these need to be replaced I can shop at Zappos.com or whatever.

Anyway, YMMV. But if you have shin splits and other pain it's worth looking into! Never thought I could run pain-free, but here I am smiling at the end of my runs :)

(I agree with the post that we can only recommend brands that work for us, and we're all different. But for the record I ended up getting Brooks Adrenalines after trying on about 5 pairs from different brands)

Tim

This 1,000%. You pretty much just said everything I was going to. I went out and bought a $15 dollar pair of running shoes at Kmart and although I could manage running a few miles at the end my feet were so sore and covered in blisters I could barely walk. The shin splints also kept me from working out for a few days.

I finally had enough and went to a running store to get properly fitted. I also bought the Brooks Adrenneline running shoes and I LOVE them. I had no problem doing my 2 miles yesterday with no blisters (although I will need to get thicker socks) or shin splints.

As far as distance goes when I first started I could barely run 2 minutes without wanting to die but can now go 30-40 minutes. I suggest taking it slow. I always used distance as my motivator. I started by running 1/4 mile, then 1/2 mile, then 3/4 mile and so on until I could run 3.1 miles. Push yourself just a little harder each time and you'll be surprised how quickly your body can adapt.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple and pretty bulletproof way to go from the couch to being a runner.

1) Get shoes that are comfortable and fit well. As others have already suggested it is definitely worthwhile going to a running specialty shop (go mid-week when it's more likely full time staff will be there)
    2) Depending on your level of fitness you may start purely walking, if you struggle to walk 1 mile at a brisk pace just walk for a while. The next step is to walk 10 minutes and run 1 - pick a pace at which you can carry on a conversation, if you can't go a full minute 30 seconds is fine - and repeat. As your fitness improves start changing the proportion of walking to running to 9 minutes walking and 2 minutes running; progress in this fashion until you can run 10 and walk 1. After that it's up to you if you want to gradually increase the amount of running time or stay with a 10/1 program (lots of people turn in impressive race times using this method).
    3) Be consistent! Commit to doing this at least 3 times per week but take a day off between running days - your body needs time to adapt. On your days off you should be doing cross training activities (strength, cycling, swimming - whatever you enjoy doing note-strength is really good for you) You should also be working on your core strength (bridges, planks, superman etc) as it has a tremendous impact on running (& quality of life in general) Take a full rest day every week, nothing more strenuous than a walk.
    4) Listen to you body, a bit of fatigue and soreness is normal; acute pain is not, don't try to be a hero and run through an injury.
    5) Have fun but be warned, running is addictive.
  • gaylaquinn
    gaylaquinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    #1. Good running shoes (go to a running store that will fit u with the right running for ur stride) fleetfeet in houston tx.
    #2. A partner, headphones or area where alot people walk or run in a park
    #3. clothing academy or target
    #4. Vaseline works awesome on chaffing areas!
    #5. Get invovle in running events u can joy a ”Team”
    #6. Just keep going
    When I started i luckly my partner was a already a modivational runner! Im type of person strap for time,money. So, I just calculated an area in my neighhood and I go running any time of day people no me as the good looking legs runner lol. Do alot walking start out slow like an 1hr to 1 in half a day and incorporarte the running. I did it all on weekends when I first started. I use to do 30miles a weekend. Oh give urself rest days!!!! Be prepared to eat more frequently! :)
    Good luck! Currently working back up to a 30mile week after having my 4baby girl!!!!!!
    ( I have completed 2full 5 half marathons in 2010 and the lastone in las.vegas @3 months prego)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just started doing twice a week at the park district. I ran for however long I could and then walked, then maybe ran again. As of yesterday (about 6 weeks of work) I can run 27 minutes without stopping.

Remember that when you start to get really tired, push yourself for another minute or two before you stop running. It's really helped me.

Edit: I should mention, start small if you need to. There's no shame in running 3 minutes and walking 5 if that's all you can do right away.
  • CrazyHedgehog
    Options
    OK, so I went to my local sports store in the main town the warehouse one, not a little store.
    I explained I get shin pain when I try running... am just starting out, but want ones that support my feet and help prevent shin splints etc...
    He was really helpful and advised a pair of Reebock RunTone trainers that were actually quite cheap (down from £79 to £21 as new colours were due in!)
    They felt great.... until last night when I tried running in them!! walked fast for a while to warm up then tried a little run.
    Shins hurt more than ever within the first minute of trying to run!
    When I came back I researched some more.... these trainers are made to be 'unstable' which makes your muscles work more to keep in line!! this is the worst thing ever for shin splints....need the stability apparently..
    Am so angry!! :angry: I have written a complaint!!
    so no running still then, its easier in Dr Martens than these trainers! how ridiculous is that!
    :cry:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    OK, so I went to my local sports store in the main town the warehouse one, not a little store.
    I explained I get shin pain when I try running... am just starting out, but want ones that support my feet and help prevent shin splints etc...
    He was really helpful and advised a pair of Reebock RunTone trainers that were actually quite cheap (down from £79 to £21 as new colours were due in!)
    They felt great.... until last night when I tried running in them!! walked fast for a while to warm up then tried a little run.
    Shins hurt more than ever within the first minute of trying to run!
    When I came back I researched some more.... these trainers are made to be 'unstable' which makes your muscles work more to keep in line!! this is the worst thing ever for shin splints....need the stability apparently..
    Am so angry!! :angry: I have written a complaint!!
    so no running still then, its easier in Dr Martens than these trainers! how ridiculous is that!
    :cry:

Going to a big sporting goods store is often the worst way to buy shoes. Typically they don't train their staff properly which means it comes down to the luck of the draw (the person who helped you probably wouldn't know what the difference between a stability and motion control shoe is).

We get spoiled in Canada with the Running Room, they're a little pricey sometimes but the company was founded by a runner (who still runs & shows up all over the country at races & race expos) and is staffed by runners. Find a specialty shop if you can.