To Low Carb or Not to Low Carb

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well ketosis isn't that important as you should know reading that book. I think 150-200g is considered low-carb.

Then everyone I'm friends with on MFP is low carb haha. 200g of carbs is pretty high, in my opinion. This debate could go on forever - I just know what works for me, I'm happy with the body composition changes I've made in the last 6 months; what everyone else does and whatever dietary ideology they choose to subscribe to is ultimately up them.

To each their own :)

no set gram amount is right for everyone. a percentage of calories is a better way of looking at it.

"low carb" is usually defined as active carbs making up 20% or less of your calories. on a 1500 calories per day diet, 20% or less active carbs would be 75g or less for the day.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I used to be low carb but I am glad I broke that habit as, the more you work your muscles, the more carbs you need to repair them.

Carbs are not bad unless they are consumed in excess.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I am not reading the whole debate (been there, done that). I'm just adding my vote. I'm an eat-your-carbs kinda gal.

Why, you ask?

Three major reasons:

1) I'm a neuroscientist. Neurons can "eat" ketones, but I personally feel their optimal fuel is glucose. There are some studies out there that suggest ketogenic diets may be neurobeneficial for people with Alzheimer's disease- I won't get into that because it's too complicated to explain right now- but for the most part, I think neurons do best on glucose. Now there aren't a TON of studies that back me up. If you look, you might find some studies about low-carb altering cognitive function, reading comprehension, and so forth... but it's really not clear right now if that's truly the case. However, I grow neurons in a petri-dish and I know they're happier with glucose, so I'm biased in that direction.

2) Back before I completed my Ph.D., I tried low-carb. I was absolutely miserable. I stuck with it for a month or two (can't remember exactly which). I could not even walk up the damned stairs. I was nauseous all the time. I had a headache all the time. MISERABLE. Not everyone responds the way I do to ketosis... but my response was enough for me to say: hey... if this makes me feel like crap, maybe it's not the best idea.

3) I can lose weight on a normal low-calorie diet eating foods that I think taste delicious (carbs!). I like the occasional steak, but I'm really just not a huge meat-fan... and bacon is only yum sometimes... sooo... low carb has no appeal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many carbs there are in a pine cone bird feeder?

Depends on the size of the PC used. Peanut butter is normally low carb, so it would be okay. The pine cone is fairly low carb, too, but be careful of the fiber. Ouch. The seeds are mostly protein. So, if you leave the cone, I'd say it is fairly low carb.

Birds, however, think it is delicious.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Oh yah... just for fun... to throw a wrench into the "NO" carb thing (cause I saw it hanging out up there a few posts up).

It's almost impossible to go zero carb. Muscle tissue has glycogen in it. Even an all meat diet is going to have some carbs. I think it's only like 7 grams, but hey, 7 =/= 0
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Hell to the no!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I used to be low carb but I am glad I broke that habit as, the more you work your muscles, the more carbs you need to repair them.

Carbs (or lack thereof) doesn't have to be a hinderance. Eating low-carb doesn't mean you have to deprive your muscles of anything. Unless you are an Olympic athlete, you can control/restrict your carb intake, and just happen to eat most of your carbs around exercise. That's what I do, and my strength and endurance has increased (also from hard work and a bit of weight loss).

I am in training for a marathon and found I simply don't need carbs during most of my runs. I'll add them for high intensity and long runs, but other than that fat burning is good enough. I always eat them during recovery though.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

Carbs (or lack thereof) doesn't have to be a hinderance. Eating low-carb doesn't mean you have to deprive your muscles of anything. Unless you are an Olympic athlete, you can control/restrict your carb intake, and just happen to eat most of your carbs around exercise. That's what I do, and my strength and endurance has increased (also from hard work and a bit of weight loss).

I am in training for a marathon and found I simply don't need carbs during most of my runs. I'll add them for high intensity and long runs, but other than that fat burning is good enough. I always eat them during recovery though.

plus, carbs have absolutey nothing to do with muscle repair.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I don't think that's true though, but I think they are overrated for muscle repair. I remember studies showing as long as glycogen stores are adequate, protein alone is adequate for recovery. However as an endurance athlete who depletes glycogen intentionally, I think I need some post-workout carbs.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

I don't think that's true though, but I think they are overrated for muscle repair. I remember studies showing as long as glycogen stores are adequate, protein alone is adequate for recovery. However as an endurance athlete who depletes glycogen intentionally, I think I need some post-workout carbs.

good point, and you are right. i should have elaborated, looking at my comment now, it definitely looks stupid and inaccurate. as an ex-cross country runner (I can't run any more due to bad knees), i do know the importance of replenishing glycogen after totally depleting muscle glycogen. although protein is the building material for muscle, without any glycogen, protein becomes the source for fuel (catabolism). high levels of cortisol is associated with catabolism which obstructs the rebuilding of muscle protein by diverting its amino acid building blocks to the liver. because protein is an important structural element of muscles, catabolism leaves the muscles in a weakened state afterward.

its an interesting dance, isn't it? :)

protein and fat do get converted to glucose, just at a slower rate than carbs. when you're glycogen level is zero and you're demanding a lot of your muscles, to avoid catabolism, you do need quick carbs.

i'm not a distance runner (any more) and i'm not training for the tour de france, so i don't have the need for a daily replenishment. but i CARB CYCLE-- i have 1 or 2 high carb days a week. i loce varb cycling, it works amazingly for me.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I am not reading the whole debate (been there, done that). I'm just adding my vote. I'm an eat-your-carbs kinda gal.

Why, you ask?

Three major reasons:

1) I'm a neuroscientist. Neurons can "eat" ketones, but I personally feel their optimal fuel is glucose. There are some studies out there that suggest ketogenic diets may be neurobeneficial for people with Alzheimer's disease- I won't get into that because it's too complicated to explain right now- but for the most part, I think neurons do best on glucose. Now there aren't a TON of studies that back me up. If you look, you might find some studies about low-carb altering cognitive function, reading comprehension, and so forth... but it's really not clear right now if that's truly the case. However, I grow neurons in a petri-dish and I know they're happier with glucose, so I'm biased in that direction.

2) Back before I completed my Ph.D., I tried low-carb. I was absolutely miserable. I stuck with it for a month or two (can't remember exactly which). I could not even walk up the damned stairs. I was nauseous all the time. I had a headache all the time. MISERABLE. Not everyone responds the way I do to ketosis... but my response was enough for me to say: hey... if this makes me feel like crap, maybe it's not the best idea.

3) I can lose weight on a normal low-calorie diet eating foods that I think taste delicious (carbs!). I like the occasional steak, but I'm really just not a huge meat-fan... and bacon is only yum sometimes... sooo... low carb has no appeal.

Winner!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    First off, I love your user name - I'm a morning person myself!

That was an exageration as many folks on here are doing very low calorie diets because they plug in that they want to lose 2 pounds per week when they sign up. I know there are plenty of folks (myself included) who consume much more than 1200 a day.

There are also folks that think they are eating only 1200 calories, but probably eating a lot more because they aren't measuring their food correctly - but that discussion will have to wait for another time.

I guess most of my MFP pals are hearty eaters! I only have a couple friends who are doing the 1200 calories plan. :-)

Nice to meet another morning person... aren't too many of us around!
  • Aracelyva26
    Options
    bump
  • Darhep
    Darhep Posts: 25
    Options
    I have five children total and I have adapted my meal preparation to not make two meals. I reserve hamburger and use it on a salad. I also do a lot of meal preparation on Sundays so there are quick healthy meals for the week. My kids are also starting to enjoy fish, salads and veggie as much as I am and 3 of them are teenagers. I also found that Jennie o makes a great turkey burger that is 160 cal no carbs and 30 grams of protein and very quick to prepare.
    Thank you for the responses so far. I see myself in a few of them. :) I guess my main reason for asking is to help me justify going back on the low carb plan. The hard part about it is eating different from the rest of the family. Spaghetti and hamburger helper are quick and easy meals for the kids and make it hard to stay away from the carbs.

I run into this issue, too. I have had success just setting aside some of the meat that I am preparing for the meal and eating it over salad or with a microwavable vegetable.
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    If you look at it from a practical perspective, low carbing is great because it usually means you don't need to think in terms of calories.

BRB, eating 6,500 calories of bacon and eggs everyday and still losing weight.

NICE!!!
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I :heart: carbs.

At 138 pounds down... it hasn't hurt me. :)

That's incredible!!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    That's what I am doing now. Love it! for a few reasons:

1. The huge losses (especially in the beginning) provide motivation to keep going.
    2. I am forced to walk away from cookies, candy, and other sugary treats this way. The whole "everything in moderation" mantra only works if you can handle it, but I am truly a food addict and need restrictions to stop myself from bingeing.
    3. I am less likely to go through a drive-thru or snack on junk food without thinking, because finding low-carb foods is just not as easy as grabbbing something from the vending machine.
    4. Nothin about meat, cheese, eggs, or vegetables makes my body want to overeat. I can go through a family-size bag of Doritos or package of Oreos in one sitting, but I have NEVER EVER EVER felt the need to gorge myself on green beans LOL.
    5. I have a ot more energy and focus when I eat low-carb. I am not groggy or sleepy all day, and I know longer feel like a bear dragged out of hibernation prematurely. There is truly a pep in my step.

Low-carb is not for everyone, but it's for this chick :heart:

Couldnt have said it better myself :-)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Anybody can try anything ... what works for one may or may not work for another ... the truth is we all have to find our own path. But knowledge is power and as you continue down your path to a healthier lifestyle ... you will learn that " carbs " are necessary to engage in a healthy ratio and fuel your body.

:flowerforyou:
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    Thank you for the responses so far. I see myself in a few of them. :) I guess my main reason for asking is to help me justify going back on the low carb plan. The hard part about it is eating different from the rest of the family. Spaghetti and hamburger helper are quick and easy meals for the kids and make it hard to stay away from the carbs.

We're not no carb in this house but we do tend to be low carb (by low carb I mean around 170g or less a day) but that leaves plenty of room for a balanced diet -- also we tend to make low-glycemic choices and eat higher fiber foods -- as for spaghetti, I'm eating it for dinner right now made from a brand of pasta called Dream Fields -- tastes just like any other pasta but its low glycemic.... its all a matter of moderation though -- I am not a carb fan personally but even with that being said, I wouldn't cut them out completely, its just not practical for the long term.
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's great for a quick fix, or if you need to drop a few (mostly bloat and water weight) to look great in that bathing suit in two weeks, but not overly healthy long term and very hard to stick to! I do it to drop a few quick lbs here and there, but in my opinion a well balanced diet, with everything in moderation is the healthiest. Good luck to you.