What should my goal weight be?

Options
2»

Replies

• linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    im not sure, i always struggle with this too. i think your goal weight sounds reasonable though, just see how u feel, being happy about yourself is more important than the number on the scale:)

also, if anyone can advise me on a goal weight id really appreciate it im a 20 year old female, started off at 282 and im now 168. my goal weight it 150 but i dont know if thats too low to maintain?

friends have been telling me i should stop focussing on weight loss and go into maintenance but i think my bmi is still overweight

i duno what frame/build i have, but my collarbones are starting to become visible if u look at my profile pic you'll get an idea of my shape/size, any help would be great :) x

EDIT: also im 5'10 and am currently doing weight training for 20 mins a day, nothin too hardcore but i just want to tone up a bit:)
  • melpap12
    melpap12 Posts: 50
    Options
    I just checked you BMI. Where you are right now is in the normal range. I think 150 sounds reasonable as a goal weight but only you can determine that. You look great in your profile pic btw.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    oooo okay thanks! that makes me happy lol first time in my life im in the 'normal' range! 18 pounds isn't that much more, think ill just try and get to 150 and when i start feeling happier with my body then i'll stop.

i dont mind if i dont get to 150 tho cos id rather be heavier with muscle than lighter with no muscle! as long as im in the healthy range im happy! p.s well done on your loss! you look great and i think 135 is a reasonable goal for you :) WE CAN DO IT! x
  • melpap12
    Options
    Thank you! Im a firm believer that skinny doesnt mean healthy and that curves are sexy We CAN do this!!!
  • kezziemc
    kezziemc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The weight is fine, now you just need to tighten. I am in the same boat. I'm 5'5" and 135lbs. I think the plan for me is to reduce my fat intake to reduce my body fat %. then I will have those abs I've been waiting for!

Im 5"4 and 130lbs. I hover around the 130 but my body fat % ranges from 26.6% - 33.3%. Im aiming to reduce my fat back down to 26.6% as its creeping back up. when its higher my tummy wobbles but when its lower its more toned....so now you are at your goal try aiming for lower body fat % (assuming its not low already) or perhaps exercise to build muscle and tone and aim for set measurements. I often get heavier but thinner when I tone up.

I don't think there is always one goal to aim for. when I am at 140lbs I want to loose inches, when I am at 130lbs I want to lose body fat, when i am at 120lbs I want measure and fit into size 10 jeans, when I am 33.3% body fat I want to eat less sugar, when I am 145lbs I want to eat less calories, when I want to look nice for summer I aim to go to the gym 3 times a week....

just babbling now...sorry :ohwell:
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Find out what your lean body mass is. Take that number and divide it by 1 minus the bodyfat percentage you want to be. EX: if you want to be 20% body fat, then it would be 1-.20= . 80. This will give you the target weight to shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

by that formula, I should be 125.8lbs (22% body fat).... this is a bit discouraging, I didn't think I needed to lose another 10 pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Find out what your lean body mass is. Take that number and divide it by 1 minus the bodyfat percentage you want to be. EX: if you want to be 20% body fat, then it would be 1-.20= . 80. This will give you the target weight to shoot for.

IDEA Fitness member

by that formula, I should be 125.8lbs (22% body fat).... this is a bit discouraging, I didn't think I needed to lose another 10 pounds.
    You don't. You up you lean body mass and the percentage of body fat changes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • melpap12
    Options
    i cant seem to figure it out. Can you help me? Im 5'4" and 141 lbs.
  • smbh45
    smbh45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i cant seem to figure it out. Can you help me? Im 5'4" and 141 lbs.

If you go to Fat2Fit site it has a calculator for many things including goal weight. First use the Military Body Fat Calculator and once you determine that it will ask if you would like to calculate your goal body weight. It will also help you determine appropriate goal body fat percentage.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • melpap12
    Options
    awesome thanks. Its says mine is 123 lbs. I was debating of a goal weight of 125-135. I guess 125 is reasonable.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Forget your weight.. Concentrate on strength training and you will firm up.