Can't find coagulated pigs blood soup on list!

Options
ihateroses
ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
I work at a public school in South Korea where eating like a Korean is important and respected (not to mention delicious!). At this point though I think that the Principal and Vice Principal are putting me through a series of food tests to confirm their belief that Americans/foreigners cannot eat all Korean food.

Yesterday I ate coagulated pigs blood soup...they were impressed.....I think the next teachers dinner will be live octopus.

Might have to draw the line there. :happy:

What are some strange foods you have tried?

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Balut. It didn't make it down and the rest of my stomach's contents came back up.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    wow. I almost threw up in my mouth a little bit just reading that....You have a stronger stomach than I do.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Rocky Mountain Oysters... So meaty!
    Fried Alligator... Nice flavor, doesn't actually taste like chicken!
    Salt water as well as fresh water eel... MMM!
    Bison meat... Rich and velvety!
    Corn Nuts lol!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I was going to say it seemed weird you couldn't find that, since it's obviously something westerners eat all the time. I think I'd be ok with the live octopus, and it's the coagulated pig's blood soup where I'd draw the line.

Truthfully I haven't eaten anything really crazy, I think menudo has been the strangest thing, but I'm down to try (nearly) anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I eat all the "challenging" Filipino foods like dinuguan, balut, kare-kare with tripe. No fear from me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ihateroses
    Options
    Balut. It didn't make it down and the rest of my stomach's contents came back up.

Dodged that bullet when I was in the Philippines...I just don't think I could handle the texture.
  • raybanfan11
    Options
    Woooooowww dinuguan. Yummy. =P
  • nisemac
    nisemac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i'm near your neck of the woods...Beijing. Only 'different' thing I've had so far is jellyfish...oh, and the local grain alcohol. I haven't had the sea cucumber or the scorpions-crickets-silkworms-starfish-lizard-sea horses-on-a-stick yet.

btw, love Korean food. my daughter has started making cabbage and radish kimchi!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I spent a year in Mindanao and have tried many things, although never balut. A couple years ago I tried some sort of warm raw fish in a fermented coconut paste while in Tahiti, I can't say I'd do that again but I gave it a fair shot.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk. It has no taste but the butter they drown it in, but it smells horribly and feels like a wet diaper in your mouth.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Steak Tartare, beef sashimi (this is very rare to find on menu...) :)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian now, but last April when I was in Florida I was not-- we went to Gatorland and I had a few pieces of fried alligator. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't fond of the look of it inside, and now that I am vegetarian I certainly wouldn't eat it again. My dad fed me moose and deer when I was a kid, and I think fish tongues and cheeks (which I probably wouldn't have eaten had I know--he was a fisherman and brought home EVERYTHING). Like I said, I won't eat any of that now though.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    blood sausage, cant say it was gross tho, its actually pretty damn good (but im pescatarian now)
  • AnneMichelsen
    Options
    I ate a grasshopper once that had hopped into our solar oven by mistake. It was actually delicious!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't travel abroad! My stomach could not handle that weird stuff. (or maybe it's my head that can't handle it! lol)
    I think I ate horse meat once on a cruise. It was delish.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Somehow I thought this post would involve a prom followed by a gym fire. Can't say I'm not a little dissappointed.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lots of pics on this thread including a goat fetus.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351460-foods-you-eat-that-others-here-probably-wouldn-t-touch?error_user_id=9285851&error_username=ninerbuff&hl=foods+that+you+eat+that+others

IDEA Fitness member
  • ihateroses
    Options
    Lots of pics on this thread including a goat fetus.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351460-foods-you-eat-that-others-here-probably-wouldn-t-touch?error_user_id=9285851&error_username=ninerbuff&hl=foods+that+you+eat+that+others

IDEA Fitness member

Nice! Idk how I missed it :)

p.s. I find it a hilarious coincidence that we both thought of posting this after eating pigs blood soup hahaha
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You are all making me want to vomit :wink:

It's too early in the morning for me to even think about some of these things you are mentioning (most of which I had to look up on google), but as a Scot I used to always eat haggis (spiced oats and meat cooked in sheep's stomach) and black pudding (oats etc mixed with pigs blood and cooked) so I guess that some of these things aren't so strange.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This thread should be a sticky for people who have binging urges. They should have to read it and look at pictures. Of course if they were like me, they'd go an eat.

IDEA Fitness member