Planetary Alignment tonight.

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
I don't know much about it, can't find anything good on the internet but my dad sent me this in an email:

the planets are going to be in a once in a lifetime configuration tonight. In the Western sky almost due west, at about 60 degrees, one can see the two brightest "stars" in the sky, very close to each other. The brightest is Jupiter and the other one is Venus. Also in that area is Mercury which can be seen with binoculors and Uranus with a hobby telescope. At some time tonight, they will be in alinement. The will not happen again in our life time. Over in the east, you can see the red tinged twinkle of Mars almost due east at about 50 degrees. Something to show the kids.

Anyone got any more info? I can definitely see Jupiter and Venus.

Replies

• EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can see this on certain websites through the telescopes but not with the naked eye. I'll see if I can dig it up on my nerdy space page bookmarks. :D
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been lookin. Looks pretty cool

If you have binoculars, use those to look at Jupiter. You can see 3 of Jupiter's moons even with a cheap low power binos.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, can't find anything good on the internet but my dad sent me this in an email:

the planets are going to be in a once in a lifetime configuration tonight. In the Western sky almost due west, at about 60 degrees, one can see the two brightest "stars" in the sky, very close to each other. The brightest is Jupiter and the other one is Venus. Also in that area is Mercury which can be seen with binoculors and Uranus with a hobby telescope. At some time tonight, they will be in alinement. The will not happen again in our life time. Over in the east, you can see the red tinged twinkle of Mars almost due east at about 50 degrees. Something to show the kids.

Anyone got any more info? I can definitely see Jupiter and Venus.

If you scroll down a bit on that .avi I can see Uranus.

Yo I typed that before I took my meds too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind. Poor Pluto. I'd give Pluto a hug if I was larger and impervious to life-sucking cold temperatures. And didn't require Earth's atmosphere to survive.

Never mind. Pluto knows how I feel.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    My husband and I have been lookin. Looks pretty cool

If you have binoculars, use those to look at Jupiter. You can see 3 of Jupiter's moons even with a cheap low power binos.

I dug out my husband's hunting ones but couldn't see anything. We might have too much light pollution here.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind. Poor Pluto. I'd give Pluto a hug if I was larger and impervious to life-sucking cold temperatures. And didn't require Earth's atmosphere to survive.

A friend of mine on facebook posted:

Dear Scientists,

Your mom says I'm big enough.

Love,

Pluto
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I can't see **** outside, lol damn city lights and no binoculars, but I found a good picture on a blog.

venus-jupiter15mar2012.jpg?w=640&h=480
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Dear Scientists,

Love,

Pluto

This makes me very happy. Thank you.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind.

^ me too. :smile: Up with Pluto.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I tried to show my kid Venus and Jupiter. She told me she was cold and wanted to go back to bed. I guess 5 years olds don't get it....
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It's a little too cloudy and the lights are too bright. I do love the stars, planets and moons. Wish I could see it. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I live in the TRI VALLEY area near the edge of town so no lights and I can see them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Been watching these beauties all month. The closest visual was actually two days ago.

Seeing is bad tonight though, lots of haze and light pollution over Milwaukee. Boooo.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I can't see **** outside, lol damn city lights and no binoculars, but I found a good picture on a blog.

venus-jupiter15mar2012.jpg?w=640&h=480

We sat outside for dinner tonight and my daughter pointed out the two stars. At first, my husband told her they were probably planes. I don't think I'll wake her up to tell her they are actually planets, not stars.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can see jupiter and venus and have been able to for the last couple of days. I kept thinking they had to be planets as I hadnt seen them before there. Otherwise I figured they were comets come to destroy us all! lol But seriously how cool is that. Too bad I am reading this now that the boys are in bed.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I like our planets. I still consider Pluto a planet, by the way, and no one will ever change my mind.

^ me too. :smile: Up with Pluto.

I like Pluto too

Plutodog.gif

In all seriousness, I normally love the clouds and rain, but tonight I am missing this because of our weather.

sad-face.png
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Stupid storm...snow in the Sierras won't let me see :grumble:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Dear Scientists,

Love,

Pluto

This makes me very happy. Thank you.

I refuse to celebrate Earth Day until all of the planets have a day to call there own, and Pluto is reinstated.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Hell's bells...I give up trying to post this pic :angry:
  • DesertFlowersCanDance
    Options
    I'm here in the high deserts of So. Cal. and things are looking good!

Thank you for posting such a wonderful thing!!