Thanks for this! :)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Bookmarking - thanks!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The problem is many people here for instance are convinced that if they eat 1200 calories or less and don't eat back their exercise calories, they are heading right for starvation mode. And this is false, because in order to hit starvation mode, you must actually lose significant weight first. Instead we see people exercising 5 days a week and eating 1200 calories and not losing any weight. The more than likely scenario is that people are under-estimating their calorie intake and over-estimating their calories burned, as this can be demonstrated by research.

And a damaged metabolism is unfortunately a permanent reality for pretty much everybody who is severely overweight. Once you lose a lot of weight, you will end up leptin deficient, which is a key contributor to starvation mode and subsequent weight regain, and it is unavoidable no matter how slowly you lose weight. Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone that shuts down bodily functions and slows down metabolism when fat stores are being depleted. Not only is leptin affected, but also ghrelin, insulin and other hormones are thrown off balance when losing weight, and can last for a year or more if not indefinitely, at least that's whats been observed through research.

So you really can't repair a damaged metabolism. You have to find a way to manage your body's desire to gain weight for the rest of your life. You will forever be at a disadvantage to people who are naturally skinny.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    bomp
  • Dawnnan
    Dawnnan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The problem is many people here for instance are convinced that if they eat 1200 calories or less and don't eat back their exercise calories, they are heading right for starvation mode. And this is false, because in order to hit starvation mode, you must actually lose significant weight first. Instead we see people exercising 5 days a week and eating 1200 calories and not losing any weight. The more than likely scenario is that people are under-estimating their calorie intake and over-estimating their calories burned, as this can be demonstrated by research.

And a damaged metabolism is unfortunately a permanent reality for pretty much everybody who is severely overweight. Once you lose a lot of weight, you will end up leptin deficient, which is a key contributor to starvation mode and subsequent weight regain, and it is unavoidable no matter how slowly you lose weight. Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone that shuts down bodily functions and slows down metabolism when fat stores are being depleted. Not only is leptin affected, but also ghrelin, insulin and other hormones are thrown off balance when losing weight, and can last for a year or more if not indefinitely, at least that's whats been observed through research.

So you really can't repair a damaged metabolism. You have to find a way to manage your body's desire to gain weight for the rest of your life. You will forever be at a disadvantage to people who are naturally skinny.

While I agree that studies show that former overweight people who have lost weight tend to have slightly lower metabolisms, I think it's about 5% slower, IIRC. However, I disagree that it is inevitable and it's probably not permanent. You say yourself that the effects can last up to a year re the hormonal changes and I believe that could be true if someone is eating a large deficit. I suspect that smaller deficits have far less impact on those hormones..

Currently, I am focusing more on repairing my metabolism than I am on weight loss at this time. I am gradually upping my calories and eating an amount that would have meant a weight gain in the past. While my weight loss has slowed, I'm still losing on this higher calorie amount. I never would have dreamed it was possible even just 6 months ago as I would have gained eating what I'm eating now and losing.
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    wow this is so perfect for me!!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Glad you found this informative.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    bump
    printing to read later
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Want to read this later =]
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    THANKS
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thank you for sharing!
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thanks for the info!!!
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later :flowerforyou:
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    Very informative!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It was really interesting!