One for the ladies....

Options

Replies

• hannahwhelan
    hannahwhelan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could try having low fat hot chocolate made with water rather than milk?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Use plain fat free yogurt (add splenda to make it as sweet as you like. I have gotten used to plain yogurt and don't use sweeteners myself, but for my friend I added a packet... it's up to you!) and a spoon full of pure cocoa. mix to make a dark chocolate yogurt.

gotta try this too!
  • lilyjaney2
    Options
    Hello! I know what your feeling, I used to do the same thing. Whenever I was in the grocery store,(Fresh and Easy) They would have these amazing milk chocolate bars in a three pack. Sometimes I would give the other two to two other people, and other times I would eat them all myself. So, I avoided Fresh and Easy like the plague for about a month, and now I'm fine walking passed the chocolate bars. Also, go take a vigorous walk or some exercise that gets your heart rate up a lot. Sometimes this make the craving completely go away! If not, I eat one piece of fruit instead and then wait a long time while chewing gum before I actually go indulge myself. I feel so guilty afterwards I go on a monstrous workout doing anything to burn calories... Just think about what you are doing before you eat it! :indifferent: :smile:
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Another vote for break the habit. I had to do something similar. Whenever I was stressed I would crave comfort food. I started drinking tea everytime I felt that way. It works now when Im stressed I want tea.

think Coffee would work? I don't take suger in coffee.

Coffee helps me. When I am really wanting that sugar during TOM I drink coffee and I sweeten it with splenda. They even have flavored splenda now for your coffee. I know a lot of people are against splenda, but my nutritionist for diabetes told me it was fine. And I try to limit my caffeine so I drink decaf after that first cup of real coffee.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    IRON SUPPLEMENT!!!!!!

Naturally during TOM a woman becomes anemic. She needs more iron! During TOM I typically crave chocolate of course and STEAK! Like I could take down a cow with my bare hands and go all vampire on it kind of craving. I've always thought, "Well, duh! I need iron." And I would have my steak. What I didn't know until I read it recently is that Chocolate is a great source of iron. It's #2 on the top ten list of foods with the highest iron source. It outranks Liver!

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

Sooooo, when I read that, I started taking an iron supplement a day or two before and during TOM. Buh-bye, Chocolate Cravings!

ETA: It's really not the sugar you are craving. It's the Iron. Do you want cupcakes? No. You want CHOCOLATE! :-)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eat a tablespoon of local raw honey. Sweet and good for you.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I second the Skinny Cow candy. It's awesome. I have also been drinking no sugar added hot cocoa. It's only 60 calories, and totally satisfies the chocolate craving for me. Also, 100 Calorie Nutty Bars are tasty too. I know it's still processed junk, but it won't blow your calorie budget, and as long as you're eating fresh healthy food for the most part, I don't think a little treat no and again is terrible. Moderation and all. Oh, and fruit is good for you.
  • bridgette863
    Options
    Kick the habit!!! I WAS a chocolate well a sweet fanatic. It took me about 3 weeks to finally stop. People do not think it is serious but it is an addiction to food just like a drug or alcohol addiction. What I did was just tried to not give into my cravings but when it got to be too much I would get a candy bar or something break it in half and before I took the 1st bite throw half of it in the trash so that way I couldnt tell myself well I'll just eat half then end up eating the whole thing. Also try not to bring the stuff into your home, if it is not in your home it is less likely you will have it because you wont want to go to the store to get it on a late night craving or what not. Hoping you can overcome this addiction best of luck! If you need support I am here. :smile:
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When i have that wonderful TOM... i buy the fiber one Brownies.. 90calories and amazing! I personally feel like this is a lifestyle change, not to cut out things you truly enjoy.. sometimes doing that can lead to someone falling completly off the wagon, and saying the hell with it all together. Allow yourself to have the things you love, in moderation and make sensible choices. It CAN be done...

totally agree and it isn't something that I always look for it something I crave at TOM....I love being a woman aii! Looks like the lower calorie options work then!

Its a win win for me.. more fiber, and low caloried and settles my chocolate craving! IM not going to take something else away that I totally enjoy. NOt like you eating a whole large combo mean from McDonalds! :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    IRON SUPPLEMENT!!!!!!

Naturally during TOM a woman becomes anemic. She needs more iron! During TOM I typically crave chocolate of course and STEAK! Like I could take down a cow with my bare hands and go all vampire on it kind of craving. I've always thought, "Well, duh! I need iron." And I would have my steak. What I didn't know until I read it recently is that Chocolate is a great source of iron. It's #2 on the top ten list of foods with the highest iron source. It outranks Liver!

Sooooo, when I read that, I started taking an iron supplement a day or two before and during TOM. Buh-bye, Chocolate Cravings!

ETA: It's really not the sugar you are craving. It's the Iron. Do you want cupcakes? No. You want CHOCOLATE! :-)

You are so right I just put iron on my shopping list..all i want during TOM is liver, steak, chocolate & bread .
  • popsical101
    Options
    I had this problem n the wy I kicked it was I allowed myself to pig out one day and eat loads had such bad stomache ache the next put me right off and have been ok since still have the odd kikkat tho x x x
  • meglynerogers
    Options
    For breakfast each day (or lunch instead when I run out of lunch food), I'll do a Shakeology chocolate shake. Why is it awesome? It's chocolate and has more vitamins and nutrients in that one silly little shake than I'd usually have in the meal. Oh, and it's only 150 calories or so if you make it with water.

Did I mention that it's chocolate?
  • kayteanne
    kayteanne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes - they are quite similar to boiled sweets. I wash and pick them off the vine and freeze in a container. Handy to suck on when something sweet required :smile:
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I can't tell you how to get rid of the cravings... b/c I've done a raw diet for months and STILL had the cravings (just pushed through by sheer willpower). What I *can* tell you is that for me, sometimes it's a mental issue (hormones on top of feeling deprived because I can't have this and other naturally thin girls can). Part of being in control of my life is being in control of these cravings. They’re strong, but I am stronger. To avoid feeling deprived, here is what I usually do:

1. Continue strengthening my willpower by pushing off the craving (if I can hold off today, I promise I'll have a little chocolate tomorrow).

2. Burn off the calories before I eat it (I want x amount of chocolate/chocolate snacks, and that's x amount of calories so I get on the treadmill and burn them, then completely enjoy my snack).

3. Please don't laugh too hard... if I know I won't get on the treadmill later, like movie night, I make myself eat a sandwich baggie of raw veggies first. Greenbeans, baby carrots, tomatoes, celery, etc. I *know* the calories don't cancel out, but it makes me feel better and so far I'm losing weight at a healthy rate.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Oh, and I meant to add... I find that I have less cravings when I do a diet high in veggies and protein but low in fat the couple of days before TOM.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    IRON SUPPLEMENT!!!!!!

I am sooooooo trying this next month! Makes total sense, although I did not know about the iron source! good to know!
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My advice is coming from a years long addiction to Mountain Dew. The king of sugary crap. I kept telling myself I was going to stop for a looooong time. I never did until I just got sick of it adding to my weight problem. I drank 2, 20 oz bottles a day most days. Of course when I quit, I couldn't just drink straight water because it made me sick. Literally made me gag! So I had to find someway to make my water taste better but be something that I could have all the time. I chose Chrystal Lite Lemonade. I haven't had Mt. Dew since last summer and I really enjoy my flavored water!

As serious as my addiction was, I don't think I could have gone from straight Mt. Dew to plain water. It would have never stuck with me. So if your addiction is as serious as it seems to be, maybe try going to something that is sweet but has very low calories in it. Like something that you can suck on for a long time, you still get the sweetness but it lasts a while. Like wintergreens (4 pieces for 60 calories), werthers orignal (3 pieces for 60 calories), creme savers strawberry and creme ( 3 pieces for 60 calories). You can lower your tolerance without having to suffer from super hard cravings. I think people who are really addicted tend to fail by going without, cold turkey.
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I'm a serious chocoholic too. I'm a believer in eating everything in moderation... I haven't really cut anything out of my diet because I don't want to feel deprived. That being said, I've learned to find some "healthier" alternatives to some of the things I really love. Ice cream is a big one - I've recently become a huge fan of Skinny Cow. A cup of their chocolate fudge brownie ice cream is only 150 calories and so delicious! Also, Fiber One brownies are 90 calories and I like them a lot too. Try some things like that and I think you'll find that it'll satisfy your chocolate cravings without making the numbers on the scale move up. At least it's been working for me! Good luck! :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Another vote for break the habit. I had to do something similar. Whenever I was stressed I would crave comfort food. I started drinking tea everytime I felt that way. It works now when Im stressed I want tea.

think Coffee would work? I don't take suger in coffee.

Maybe? Do you like coffee a lot? Maybe a flavored coffee would do it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, which i tend to keep under control and can happily manage on a daily basis with yoghurt and chocolate covered raisens; theres a small pack of colourful ones I have which as I say do the trick but there are 10 dreaded days for me where I just can't seem to curb my sweet tooth regardless of what I try; 3days before, 4days during and 3 days after my TOM.....I am currently eating atleast a bar of chocolate a day and I'm seeing the effect on the scales.

Someone please tell me you haev a solution; a little of dark choclate does not work for me either, which is what alot of people have sugested to me previously!

The rest of the month I am find and I can go without it for every other day of the month jsut those 10 days that I seem to be at my worst with the 3 days before being the biggest nightmare the craving tends to tone down after those three days but I still need a fix!

You are obviously not trusting yourself so the best direction to take is to not have it in the house at all. Moderation would not apply to you under these circumstances because you admit you cant control yourself.

Make sure your daily intake entails getting a variety.

You have to learn what triggers your cravings for anything. And learn to modify the behaviors you have with regard to that.

Learn non-eating activities to do when all you wanna do is eat/eat sweets.

Sounds like to me a high-glycemic addiction to carbs....