Bread or Carb substitutes - HELP! I'm always still hungry!

Options
mrslaurenposs
mrslaurenposs Posts: 5 Member
I need some ideas for bread or carb substitutes for lunch or dinner. I have a few good recipes for low calorie dinners, but unless I have a starch to go with it, I'm hungry again a few minutes later. My husband does not do "chick food" and needs something of substance to eat - and to be honest, if I cook it for him, chances are I'm going to give in and eat it, too.

So what do you guys use instead of bread for sandwiches, pasta, rice, chips for tacos or dips, etc? I had a salad for lunch the other day, and felt really good about it, until I calculated the chips and salsa I had to go with it, just for a little extra "weight" to the meal, and realized just those couple tortilla chips alone blew my daily limit by 300 calories. :(

18526686.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• mbny1
    mbny1 Posts: 2
    Options
    When you make a wrap and stuff it with lots of veggies and grilled chicken, hummus, etc., wrap it will a large piece of romaine or bib lettuce or use a whole wheat wrap, the lettuce wrap saves on the bread/carbs and I feel like I'm eating a sandwich. I just started this program and I love chips and breads too, so I feel your pain. The other day we made turkey tacos and I had a side of brown rice and black beans mixed together, I skipped the tortilla but still had my carbs from the rice so I felt full and didn't blow the calories. I have kids so I have to have snacks for them in the house (goldfish, tortilla chips, icecream) but those temptations are going to be all around us all the time, so I just have to acknowledge that most of it is not an option for me, not any more than a small serving anyway. Small changes will add up.
  • czechmate823
    czechmate823 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know, I love my carbs, it's a daily struggle. I love Aunt Millie's Whole Grain light bread. 35 calories a slice, even with a couple of shots of butter spray. Slather on sugar free jelly and you can get away with a 40 or 45 calorie carb-a-licious snack. I've also used that to substitute garlic bread (for me, everyone else gets the real thing. torture) when we have pasta at my house, I just use spray butter, a bit of garlic salt and a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese then pop it in the toaster oven. My new found favorite chip type snack is Snikiddy "Eat Your Vegetables" chips - made with navy beans, sweet potatoes, carrots and potatoes. One serving of vegetables in every serving. They are so yummy! Also, Skinny Pop popcorn is good for carb cravings - 39 calories per cup. Special K crackers are good, too, and you get about 20 or so for a serving. There are other options, too, but that should give you a few ideas. Good luck! :)
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    i would not give up carbs of grain form. Think of this as a lifestyle change and not a fad low carb diet. Just eat them in moderation. Also protein keeps you fuller longer than carbs so make sure you are eating tons of protein.

try baked chips, whole grains, low calorie bread. brown rice instead of white, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads. those are healthier changes than ommitting alltogether.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    warburtons thins if available where you are, they make a good bread substitute as they are bread, just less of it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    There's no need to give up carbs if you love them and they satisfy you. Otherwise, high protein and fiber foods help keep most people fuller longer.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to multigrain, hi fiber carbs... but my philosophy is that if you eat a well balanced, RESPONSIBLE amount of calories, exercise 45-60 minutes a day then you can pretty much eat what you want. I take my chances with carbs over red meat anyday .
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you're filling up on lots of lean protein, healthy fats, fibrous fruits, starchy and non-starchy veggies, you will find that you are less hungry. Like someone else said, there's no need to give up carbs or breads though - just make healthy choices! Flatbreads, Ezekiel bread, quinoa, couscous, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, squashes (summer and winter) ... all great options! There are tons of fantastic low carb recipes out there too; I make a pretty mean mock garlic mashed potato - so much so that even my man didn't know he was eating cauliflower! Definitely focus more on healthy grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats than on something that's "low fat". Chances are, that won't keep you full either. Fat is not a bad thing, in the right format!
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I eat weight watcher Bread. i follow the canada food guide .. for me i eat 6 grains 7 veg sor fruit 2 milk and 2 meat..The dietican said the grains it doesnt matter if it bread or pasta or crackers ..Just watch portions and stay in my limit
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't give up carbs. I eat them in moderation, but I still eat them. It's worked for me so far, 25 lbs down in 3 months.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins are awesome -- 100 calories.

Carbs are great, but can be overdone in many favorite items -- such as pasta noodles and rice. I woud severely limit their intake. They're just not worth it and candidly don't fill you up or sustain you like Protein.

On big workout/calorie burn days, pasta & rice can be good, but even still they're hard to measure calorie wise and have questionable benefits. Plus they tend to expand your stomach, making you want and seemingly need more food.

Exercise calories are key
  • jennyferngiraffes
    jennyferngiraffes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    try eggs! I made this really good frittata the other night, low calorie, and even the boyfriend loved it (he does not do healthy food!) plus eggs fill you up!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The trick is to not eat "empty" carbs. I eat whole grain breads, tortilla's and pasta daily. Wheat bread is not the same as Whole Wheat bread... Check your labels and eat only whole grains.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I buy Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Tortillas and use those a lot. I use them for wraps, pizza crusts, baked shell for a taco salad, etc. They are 71 calories, 12 g. fiber, 8 g. protein. 220 mg. sodium. They taste really good too...

I also use Pepperidge Farms 100% whole wheat thin sliced bread, Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat bread, multil grain sandwich rounds (these make awesome pizzas too-the kids love them, and they're only 50 calories per half before toppings).
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    I have always found complex carbs to keep me full longer. Oatmeal, whole wheat bread, Quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes. There is a list on this link:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/27398-list-complex-carbohydrates-foods/
    When in doubt drink more water. Sometimes we think we are hungry when we are really thirsty. I always drink a glass of water first and wait a little bit. If I am still hungry then I will grab a healthy high fiber high protein snack. Good Luck! 80)
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key, but when the grocery store has carbs/wheat in every aisle except soaps/cleaning, fruit and produce how is that moderation?

Pick up the book Wheat Belly....eye opening.. I've been following it and have seen changes over the past 3 weeks to my body shape even though weight is still at 208. I do cardio and weights 2-3 times per week. Cardio a bit more within target zone during the week.
  • daeljo
    daeljo Posts: 38
    Options
    I've been eating these wraps called 'Flatout'. They are made in Michigan, but sold everywhere... I really love them! They taste good, are full of fiber, and have almost 40% less carbs than regular bread. If I were you, I'd give it a go :] I also use them to make little thin crust pizzas. Soooo good! And it helps that each flat bread is only 90 calories! So I can have this huge pizza that I can never finish, and the total is only like 300 calories (with lot's of cheese).
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i love having rice with my meals - but always seem to over load and cook more than i need and then fill the plate any way!! what i have started doing is buying boil in the bag rice - 1 serving is half a bag - and using a smaller plate. i still get my rice but feel fuller. alos i have a dessert (weight watchers mainly) afterwards as i have a sweet tooth and love having something afterwards. maybe that will help.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • j3m123
    j3m123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    bulk up your meals with good fats.. butter, cream, evoo , coconut oil , nuts.. generally low carb and low calorie don't mix well.