Do you like it in the morning?

Options
Food, that is!

I've often heard people say that skipping breakfast isn't good for your metabolism. Contradicting that, for me and for many others, is the belief that you should only eat when you're hungry. So, what if I'm just not hungry in the morning? What if I don't feel the slightest pang of hunger until closer to lunch time? If I don't eat until I am actually hungry, am I messing up my metabolism? What if my body just prefers to eat later in the day and I'd rather save up my calories to satisfy what my body is communicating to me? Is anyone else struggeling with this? Should I force myself to eat when I'm not hungey only to make myself not eat when I am? That just doesn't make any sense to me....

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    disappointment.jpg

On a serious not, the metabolism thing is a myth. Total daily nutrition is what matters.

I don't remember the last time I had breakfast.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options

On a serious not, the metabolism thing is a myth. Total daily nutrition is what matters.

Thanks! That's good to hear! It's 12:10 where I am here in Los Angeles and I've not had the slightest urge to eat. I usually force myself to eat at around 10, but I think I'm going to stop doing that. Better to save those calories for when I do want to eat. :-)

Oh - and sorry to disappoint....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    I like it anytime:wink:
  • spudman1232
    Options
    I like anytime, anywhere.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I always tried to eat in the morning because I heard that's better for you, but honestly, then I felt like crap for the rest of the day. poofy and bloated, cause I ate when I wasn't hungry. so I think you should just eat when you start to feel the slightest bit hungry (don't wait until you're in raging "I need a chinese buffet" mood).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    disappointment.jpg

What UponThisRock said! Your metabolism doesn't change until you've drastically reduced intake (like below 1000 calories per day) for several days. When you eat has little effect in a 24 hour period. What you eat does!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Thanks! That's good to hear! It's 12:10 where I am here in Los Angeles and I've not had the slightest urge to eat. I usually force myself to eat at around 10, but I think I'm going to stop doing that. Better to save those calories for when I do want to eat. :-)

You can check my diary, it's what I do everyday
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, because if I don't I get really nauseous. But I sometimes skip dinner and just make sure I have my calories/protein covered through the day.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    18a7b5bbd79a1577f4cf6ba75cf412142.jpg

I try to eat breakfast most of the week; just because it makes it easier to get going in the morning.
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    I do my first set of exercising in the morning. Then I'm usually ready for breakfast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a good breakfast every day, but I also work out most days in the morning before breakfast so I am hungry. My wife isn't a breakfast person, she rarely eats before 10AM.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat in the morning, I become too willing to overeat at lunch, so I always try to eat a little bit of *something*, usually protein based.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 cups of coffee with cream, hit the gym for about 45 minutes of some type of exercise. to work at 730 and make my oatmeal, eat it around 800. then my food schedule starts about every two hours.

now having said that. if i didn't eat my oatmeal at 8 i could and have gone on just my coffee till lunch. but then i find myself sometimes ravinous and eat just about everything in sight. that is why i find that eating on a schedule works best for me.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you don' eat in the morning, you'll eat heavier later meaning, yes, you probably won't feel hungry in the morning, but, it improves your performance and energy levels by keeping your blood sugars nice and level and sufficient. Blus helps boost your metabolism for a short time after eating.

Break the cycle, have a breakfast, make it like if you like but you'll soon find your eating habits change, your mood and energy levels in conjunction too.
  • KXanthos
    Options

You can check my diary, it's what I do everyday

Will do! Thanks. And if it's working for you....well, shoot, then it's gotta work! Lookin good! :-)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat my cals in 2 main meals. Eating this way has made me happier for sure!
  • KXanthos
    Options
    If you don' eat in the morning, you'll eat heavier later meaning, yes, you probably won't feel hungry in the morning, but, it improves your performance and energy levels by keeping your blood sugars nice and level and sufficient. Blus helps boost your metabolism for a short time after eating.

Break the cycle, have a breakfast, make it like if you like but you'll soon find your eating habits change, your mood and energy levels in conjunction too.

I've been forcing myself to eat at around 10, but I'm literally forcing myself to do it. I'll usually have a hard boiled egg or two or some turkey sausage. I try to keep it protein based since I figure that's what my body needs, especially after a workout. That said, even when I workout at 6:30 am, I'm just not hungry until anytime between 10 and noon....and sometimes not until even later.

And, yes, I do eat heavier later in the day, but that's when my body "wants" to eat heavier, so I always feel more satisfied and less tempted to "cheat" when I listen to what my body wants. I just don't want to do that if it's going to mess up my metabolism, kwim?
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    I never eat breakfast and never force myself to eat. I wait until I really feel that gurgling hunger pain before I eat anything. And then always eat less than 300 calories per "sitting".
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Uhmm...NO! Not true.