5k question, what do you do with your keys?

Options

Replies

• dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I normally take a bumbag (fanny pack in the US I believe) when I run outside to carry my house keys, mobile phone (in case I get injured or there is an emergency while I'm out) and I tend to take it to races too.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    get one of those clip things and you can actually clip it to your bra
    works for me on the trail
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    I leave the key in the ignition and doors unlocked just hoping that someday someone will steal my pile of crap car!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just want to whine a little, too, since this is a peeve of mine. Every pair of gym shorts my husband owns have pockets, but I have a very hard time finding ones with pockets for myself, and if they do, they're a teeny little "hidden" pocket on the back of the waistband where I have to dislocate my shoulders just to reach it (or drop trow). :laugh:

I would also appreciate a fannypack that doesn't look like it belongs on an elderly woman on a bus trip to Atlantic City.

Maybe I should just take to wearing a kilt and sporran.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I put my Valet key in between my sports bras (I wear 2). I put my key in pocket once and it got knocked out. One of my friends has one of those springy rings that people put on their arm (like above their elbow) to carry around their keys and uses that.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I either time them to the drawstring of my shorts, or put the key behind the gas tank door. dont tell anybody!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    take off the door key and lace it in your shoe laces
    This one. Leave the other keys locked in the car, and you will never be award of one key laced into your shoes.

As long as you don't tighten it into the upper blood vessels.

If your foot starts falling asleep, don't delay and wonder why it's happening, get the key out!

Totally forgot at the end of the run in a half-Ironman, and being brain-numb didn't notice that reason, kept walking it off. didn't bring enough food for that extended time. ugh.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Husband holds them. I'm hoping eventually he will decide he wants to be more than an observer and keyholder, but for now, it comes in handy.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yep, this one. Just make sure you double tie your laces and put the end of the eye under the tied up portion for the laces.

This. Going forward, definitely consider the pocket situation when you buy new shorts/pants, it makes all the difference. Now I only buy pants/shorts/running skirts with pockets, preferably a good one with a zipper on top so nothing can get out.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    i feel so silly, having run with keys in my hand several times, when my shoelaces were there all along... :$

Me, too! I didn't even think of tying it in my laces, even when I'm had to tie those trackers in my shoelaces for races. I feel silly now.. :laugh:
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I live in rural NH, crime is low. I lock my valuables in the trunk and hide the key in the unlocked car. I'd probably do the same anywhere else, but I make sure nothing valuable is in the passenger area of the car. I also make sure the the car is clean and clutter free, it doesn't attract attention that way.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Had my time chip on one shoe and key on the other!! Had a successful race and beat my best time so far!!
  • heidikins7
    Options
    I just ran a 5K this morning; I put my keys in my fleece, zipped it up, and gave it to the gear check people. No problems there. In the past, I lived close enough so I would just walk to the race, so I've been pretty lucky. But I'm going to check out those banjees that someone just posted. Those seem ideal.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Had my time chip on one shoe and key on the other!! Had a successful race and beat my best time so far!!

Congratulations!!! Well done.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I take only the fob and I put it in my Sprigs Wrist Wallet:

http://sprigs.com/banjees/polyspandex-reversible/

Ocean-Blue-Solid-shopping-cart1.jpg

This looks like a good idea!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    this may seem silly, but my first 5k my hubby & kids were there so I left everything with him. 2nd one I drove myself and my stepdaughter (15) so I was stuck holding onto my keys the whole race. I tried my pockets, sports bra, neither was successful so I ended up running holding them in my hand, not comfortable. So please enlighten me, where do you put your keys? Sadly my truck does not have the keypad like my van used to or I could just lock them in the vehicle.

I have three quarter length bottoms with zipped pockets for my keys and money.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I always put just my car key in my spibelt or the pocket on my water bottle thingy if it's a longer run and I need the water (it's a camelback that sort of straps to my hand). Never thought to tie it to my shoelaces! Everything else I leave in the car.
  • chickky311
    Options
    I know this question has been answered many times over, but I thought I would add my two cents. If you are checking a bag at a race, I would just put the keys there. I know some are skeptical about doing that, but I've never had a problem. Or, if you're not checking a bag, then take only the 1 car key with you and tie to your shoelaces. That way you don't need any extra armbands or anything that yiou don't need/want. It works great and I guarantee you won't know its there. Just make sure to tie a tight knot!
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ignition key only - if you have shorts with pockets you can carry it there, or drawstring you can tie it and tuck it in.

That's my go to, though I tied the drawstring into a really tight knot once and had to cut the key out lol
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am sure others wrote this already, but I am too lazy to read through everything. I just leave everything but the car key in my car. I tie the car key to my shoelace.