Yes I peak at your food diary and must ask you...

Options

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    It made me sad to see the number be red everyday, so I trashed it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I really don't care about my sugars. I put a ton of effort into my fats, proteins and carbs along with calories and fiber. Why should I worry about sugar as well when it doesn't matter and I should be able to enjoy a little sugar since I hardly get many carbs as it is!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't have any insulin related medical conditions and consequently I don't believe it's important for me. I also do not subscribe to the "sugar is poison" model of nonsense.

(Having said that, I also hit my macronutrient goals and consequently, I couldn't eat candy bars all day nor would I. This common sense being applied to my food selection is another reason that I don't bother tracking it).
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Because I monitor my carbs, and rarely eat non-fruit sugar so it would be redundant
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Because after the Macros, Fiber and Sodium are the next most important to me and there is more room to monitor anything else.
    Same here - I have a much bigger issue with sodium than I do sugar.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I guess because everyone is on their own journey and, consequently make different choices as to what's important for them? Such as to not worry about sugar. Or processed foods and desserts, the two other things you mentioned in your post.

I think that's pretty much the answer to your question. Is there something more you were interested in that I'm missing?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I don't have any insulin related medical conditions and consequently I don't believe it's important for me. I also do not subscribe to the "sugar is poison" model of nonsense.

^^ couldn't have said it better myself
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    calories, proteins, fats... all that matters.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Because I think it's sill that a kiwi, a banana, and a sweet potato will put me 'over' on sugar. And, I just really don't care.

This!

Yep...me too!!!!
    I don't eat processed foods or red meat...
    so I feel it's better to track my Iron intake...
    I still check my sugar throughout the day...
    I also upped my sugar intake because I like fruits and veggies so much :)
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Because the sugar monitor on here is immensely inaccurate. You should be watching refined sugars but a lot of my sugar comes from fruit.
    [/quote

agree with all of you who say this.. Watching my sugars has hindered me from eating fruit which I love.. When I eat an apple, suddenly I am in the red. Something to think about changing up a little.. Also someone mentioned that sugar is a subcategory of carbs.. hmmm.. also worth thinking about.. so we can essentially still monitor it in some way while adding a different macro to monitor.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.. :smile:
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    IDK...but if they are doing okay achieving whatever goals it is they are aiming for, unless they are asking for advice...live and let live? Or..maybe they are monitoring it...and that is an improvement from their prior choices?

Some people track their sodium, and revolve their lives around that, or some track their sugar, and revolve their decisions are that. Moral of the story is, though, that all people are different...and even though some people choose to cut things out of their lives, others either simply have found a balance of foods they can live with, or just have not discovered the effects of certain things on them..

Example: I hate artificial sweeteners aka high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, splenda, etc. My step mother passed away at 47 from a stroke. Artificial sweeteners are linked to a much higher stroke risk...and considering she drank diet sodas and teas daily for years....I tend to believe those studies. I'd much rather have some real organic sugar, than that crap. However, many others choose to drink diet soda all day. That is their prerogative. Not mine.

Another example, is the fact that I choose organic milk, cheeses, meats, and pretty much everything else I can find that is organic. THIS is due to my mother developing a rare cancer (Leiomyosarcoma) at age 49. She was incredibly healthy until then. For some, switching from chips, to lettuce is enough. For me, I think not just along the lines of "how many calories are in this"...I think "how pure is this, how much of this is genetically modified, has hormones, is it contaminated by the pesticides?" Again, it is a matter of what matters to ME. What matters to me, does not necessarily matter to everyone. Of course, people would benefit from switching to organic, or cutting out sugars, or whatever topic we might be talking about...but to each their own.

If you are very curious, just come out and ask them instead of posting a topic? Perhaps they aren't aware of how sugar affects their body/
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Because I just don't care.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I track protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, and potassium -- because when I'm low in fiber and potassium I notice the effects, and sugar is counted under carbohydrates anyway.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I am way more concerned about carbs since the sugar from treats is a very small part of my diet, I do check it daily on my phone app but the macros I track are those that affect me and have been shown by research to have a real measureable effect on weight loss. I have no indications in blood work or tests of diabetes so I would rather focus on weight loss.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    All the sugars I get are monitored in the carbs
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I sometimes switch between sugar and fibre. I usually KNOW when i'm getting to much sugar, but I'm not so good at knowing when i'm getting too little fibre. I track sugar when I am specifically trying to decrease my sugar intake.

For all the people saying they don't notice sugar making a difference to their weight loss............ you do understand that sugar is glucose and glucose is the molecule involved in creating energy (ATP to ADP). If glucose is freely available in your bloodstream, your body will use that glucose for energy instead of a) using glycogen stored in muscles etc, and b) breaking down the fatty deposits and using that for energy.

Weight loss is entirely centred around trying to USE the potential energy stored in those fatty deposits, thereby decreasing their size and YOUR WEIGHT.

There are no ifs or buts about it - sugar does affect your weight loss. :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I track protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, and potassium -- because when I'm low in fiber and potassium I notice the effects, and sugar is counted under carbohydrates anyway.

Great answer. Sugar is counted under carbs.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I prefer to montior my macros fallowed by cholesterol as hear disease and hight cholesterol runs in my family. Also since I track my carbs its kinda on target with the sugar. If my carbs are on or under target then I tend not to worry over it much. That and I really don't use sugar for much of anything. I have switched to splenda :)
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure things out for MYSELF and learning from others in the process.. There are many people who don't track certain things and I just simply like to know why.. ( in a behind the scenes way.. NOT at all in a judgmental way. We are all learning and growing in our lives.. no need to be mean or have an attitude. We all look at each other's diaries.. I just wanted to throw it out there and get a variety of ideas.. maybe shed light on some things for ME.. I do appreciate all the ideas.. and absolutely whatever works for you, do it! I wish you all health and happiness! : )
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I monitor my sugar at the moment because I have a sweet tooth but am about to take it off my macros/micros as I'm aware when I go over with refined sugar - other things interest me more such as sodium and fibre.

The only reason I monitored it was to see if I felt better when my sugar was stabilised (I am not diabetic) and I do - no sugar cravings and I don't look for chocolate/ cakes