Homeless.. Ethical straw poll here. Thanks x

Options

Replies

• luwalmsley1983
    Options
    I think giving a helping hand in the way of food is a great thing to do and also since you are friendly enough to talk with him maybe try to find out his circumstances so that maybe something could be done to help him out of the situation he is in.:smile:

I just don't want to come across as patronizing, hi look at me in my nice clothes and job etc, if we talked (I'm not prepared to share too much) he would understand I get it more than most - I am prepared to tell him life doesn't' have to be this way but am wary of walking up to someone and telling them just how vulnerable I am (in case I get hurt, the internet is remote, this guy can follow me .... know what I mean) - but I know he can get better, have a better life. Heartfelt thank you :)
  • janmar57
    janmar57 Posts: 13
    Options
    you are a saint.but this reminds me of my dad who passed away 17 years ago at 80 yrs young. who always said if he had his life over he would be a tramp as they were known then.
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    I hope that dog gets enough to eat. I hope that man eats enough, too.. but I really can't stand to see a hungry animal.

She is called Zara and everything he gets she gets a half of. Personally I can't bear to see a starving any being, but, yes, shes his world :)
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    I entered into reading this thread with some amount of nervousness. People are often so judgemental and uncaring about the homeless. I have a close family member who was a drug addict and homeless. There are a lot of contributing factors to his addiction and homelessness. Addiction is a mental illness and none of us can understand the 'why' and how hard it is to give up unless we have also been drug addicts. Being on the streets is definately not conducive to giving up. I am sure we have all been addicted to something and many should understand how hard it is to give things up, even those things that are not actually physically addictive like drugs.

I have to say that I am writing this rather emotionally, The caring and respect you have all shown in your posts has been very touching to me. .

My love to your family member, I have to say I was a little hesitant to post as the forums can be unforgiving (although I don't understand I will accept anyones opinion) - please accept my request for friendship - you'll find I know from the inside how this situation can be. I wish your family member EVERY support and blessing xx
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    You should donate both food and money to your local homeless shelter. They need it to help house and feed the homeless. Most of the people you see sitting on the corner holding up signs go to the homeless shelter at night where they are given a warm bed and a good meal.
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    I saw a homeless veteran with one leg today on the way to the grocery store. My girlfriend and I went inside and bought him a sandwich, a huge fresh baked cookie, an ice tea & a bag of chips. To my dismay he was shuffled along by the cops before we could give it to him! This happens a lot and it really p*sses me off. America is a JOKE when it comes to taking care of our own. They treat the homeless as well as veteran's like *kitten*... I don't condone war but I think if someone has served our country they should be SET for LIFE. As for what they spend their money on... they are homeless... I would spend my money on booze, too, I'd want to forget. It doesn't matter to me what they do. It is their life and who am I to judge them? I try to help everyone, no matter their status. I don't think you are loopy or soft, I think you are beautiful. It is things like this that show the world there is still humanity in humans. So, thank you. You give me hope.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I won't give them money directly, but I will offer food or other supplies if I can do that.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Definitely did the right thing! So wonderful of you to help this person out in a time of need. You talking to him and interacting with him is probably the best gift of all!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are such a good heart!

I now live in a rural area where people don't panhandle, but years ago, I was in a city. A woman came up to me, asking for money. At the time, I was concerned that giving money to people on the street might be contributing to a drug or alcohol problem, so I took her to a nearby deli, and told her to order what she wanted. She ordered TONS of stuff, which told me she was probably very hungry and uncertain about the meal after the one I was buying.

No regrets.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing. My wife always believes in doing what you did. Buying food, hygiene products, drinks but not giving them money... This way she knows where the money went and that it help to sustain them and not feed a potentially poor habit/choice adding to their situation.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's never wrong to treat a fellow human being with dignity and generosity, even if it turns out they are spending their money on "bad things."
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In the end you will be judged on what you do, not on what he does with the money or items that you gave to him. You blessed him and I think you did the right thing. Just my 2 cents.
  • Anointed4Destiny
    Options
    You did a wonderful thing. Don't beat yourself up. This person probably isn't perfect but may not have any money right now and your kindness may help him turn the corner. I am jobless and homeless right now. Used to make 50K. Job was outsourced, took my Aunt in who had lung cancer made $10.15/hr & lost my home. I don't spend money on anything 'bad'. I've been sober for 22 years. I have a total of less than $3.00 to my name right now. No money coming in. Any kindness shown to me is wonderful. I will get a job. Keep the kind heart that you have.
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Research the resources that are available in your town. Tell him about food banks or overnight places he might be able to stay at. I live in Seattle where there is a LOT available for homeless people. If they're asking for money for food, I tend to be more suspicious because if you're homeless and have been in Seattle long enough you will know where all the places are. If you starve to death in Seattle, its because you wanted to die...haha. You know? You don't need to rely on passerby in order to live.

I don't know where you live, though, and for all I know there could be no resources for them...
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    You're a sweetheart and a breath of fresh air in this crappy fkd up world. May God bless you every step of the way through your life. Just be careful helping out strangers. I've seen it end in both bad or good ways. But kudos to you for stepping up either way :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    That is awesome of you. I don't give anything to the homeless in my town because there are far too many of them who pass through and do things that show they don't care about our small town. I've seen them harass people at the drive-thru, I've had them harass me on my way to work when I would walk asking me for weed... When I have given to them in the past like change they actually have told me it's not enough, thrown it on the ground... Very ungrateful people. Obviously not all homeless people are like this. When I was a kid I live in a big city where there was one particular homeless man who everyone cared about, gave him food and he was an amazing guy. Our town is just full of bad ones unfortunately.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    there truly are good people in this world. you probably not only made his day, but his month. for once someone is caring about him. im sure hes estatic with anything he gets. and i doubt (from what you described) that he would be speding the money on drugs or anything. i got goose bumps just reading this, you are a caring person. <3

i grew up with nothing. if i wanted to do anything for school (dances etc) we would have to buy less food to have money for a dress of soemthing etc. i remember pawning toys after christmas, because we couldnt afford them when the bill came. i never had anyone helping my family out. and my mom never wanted to use assistance. i borrowed money from a lot of people, and now im living a 'comfortable' life. going to college, and working full time. i just paid off my first car, and my extended line of credit. if you have someone to help you over a slump in your life, its true that you can do good things with it. the littleset bit helps.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    How wonderful!!! You did the right thing. I always give what I can directly to the person. I've seen too many scams where the group collecting the funds takes a big salary for themselves or the poor recipients never see a dime.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    When i have it I give the homeless anything I have extra. I once was a manager at a supermarket, nothing great on the ladder scale, just a step up from a cashier. I was up front and it was Christmas time and cold outside. We had many homeless at our store that were 'regulars'. This one guy was looking for used cigs in the ashtray out in front of the store... I tell the cashier, 'give me Tops (the brand of tobacco you roll, which they bought b/c it was the cheapest) I hand it over to him and impulsively give him a kiss on the cheek. I dunno... it was that time of the year and I couldn't watch him put someone's used cig. in his mouth. Currently there is a man who walks several miles to work daily and I pass him several times a week. If I weren't a mom and wife, I'd seriously pick him up to take him closer to where he was headed. I have a soft heart...:smooched:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There is a man that I have bought groceries for in the past. Just the basics...PB, bread, powdered milk, toothpaste, toothbrushes, disposable razors, and such. He was always greatful, I haven't seen him in over a year...he still stays on my mind, lol.

You did the right thing...and you have a large and generous heart. I myself am in the position you were in at 26. I'm 27, divorced, single mom, and have no clue where my life is going. I lost my house to foreclosure last year and have nearly nothing to my name but it doesn't stop me from doing what I can even it means giving my time or just giving someone a shoulder to cry on. We all need to make the world a better place...and your are making a wonderful difference! God bless you!