Vegetarian at Restaurants

Options

Replies

• missfancy1980
    Options
    Pescetarians are not classed as vegetarians. They eat fish and dairy product, but no red or white meat.
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always find the best options in Thai restaurants. The ones near us have upwards of 10 pure veggie meals.. mostly made with tofu or just vegetables.

I struggle with Thai food as they tend to use fish stock or "oyster" sauce in their dishes.
  • lkell13
    lkell13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 6 months, and going out to eat was the worst. However, most of the time i just ordered side dishes. I would get some type of side salad (even though salad gets very boring after awhile), and then a pototato or rice, and a vegetable. That usually satisfied me .
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 6 months, and going out to eat was the worst. However, most of the time i just ordered side dishes. I would get some type of side salad (even though salad gets very boring after awhile), and then a pototato or rice, and a vegetable. That usually satisfied me .

We do get treated as "second class" citizens a lot of the time. Its so hard eating out and when I do its all so predictable.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I struggle with Thai food as they tend to use fish stock or "oyster" sauce in their dishes.

Yup, same thing with some Chinese restaurants. I had one place tell me their hot and sour soup was vegetarian because it had no meat and I said, do you use Chicken stock for it, and they said, "yes." Boo.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, it is difficult to do this! I always have to have to have the waiter completely modify dishes for me (they never have a problem doing this and it can even cut the cost on some dishes) for example at an Italian restaurant my friends like to go to a lot that literally has no meat free dishes, I asked for there Chicken Broccoli Penne Alfredo pasta with whole wheat pasta instead of white, no chicken and instead more broccoli. Just ask for them to modify dishes for you so that they are healthier/vegetarian friendly. I suggest looking up there menus online or even calling in advance asking what options they have for you.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    It's soooo not me to go all veg'n nazi, so I'll apologize in advance. But I would only caution that many things that seem to be vegetarian are really not. Sure, lots of soups (even vegetable soups) are made with meat stocks. Myself, I find that many authentic Asian restaurant employees don't really even understand the concept of avoiding meat (much less all animal-derived products, as for me....vegan). As already mentioned, the fact the dish is just vegetables, without chunks of meat, is often viewed as vegetarian, even though it may have meat stock, fish or oyster sauce, etc.

But even alfredo sauce is made with Parmesan cheese which is, by definition, made using animal rennet. There are vegetarian (& vegan...sort of) parmesan alternatives, and more and more vegetarian cheeses on the market, now. But cheese made with rennet is no more vegetarian than traditional marshmallows, or pea soup with lard.

Good luck! :-)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I try to pick "ethic" restaurants. Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Cuban etc... I can always find something vegetarian that does not involve a salad at those places. Anything that is "American" has hardly any choices outside of a grilled cheese or a salad. Stay away from chains if you can, all of their stuff is processed out the wa-zoo and they don't like it when you say hold the meat. Local or smaller chains don't mind customizing your order.

Agreed. Way more tasty options at the ethnic places. All-american places are so limited (especially the casual places).

My favorite vegetarian food choices: indian and ethiopian. I am a dedicated meat eater, and go veggie half the time at those places.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with your dilema. While most restaurants are usually accommodating it does irritate me that things are not made easy for us - why don't they just give us a couple of 'proper' meal options - not just salads occasionally. Just because I am a vegetarian, it does not mean I like salads every day! I live in Berkeley, CA, where you would expect to have an easy time - yes there are a bunch of vegetarian and vegetarian friendly restaurants, but I continue to to be surpised by the number that have no vegetarian options (except for the obligatory salad of course!)

I usually end up with either making a meal out of a combo of sides and appetizers. Italian restaurants are usually good as you can (as noted by many others) just get them to exclude the meat and add more veggies. You can also stick to tomato based sauses to keep the calorie count down. Indian restaurants are usually very good for vegetarians as many Indians are vegetarian. Unfortunately, most of the sauces are pretty high in calories. I find breakfast/brunch easiest for lower calorie options as I just order poached eggs and toast with some fruit on the side. If they have veggie-links you can add those too.

Good luck
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I remember brining my parents to a vegetarian restaurant here in town and my mom got all mad saying I was pushing my beliefs of vegetarianism on them by bringing them to the restaurant. Made me really shocked how defensive people can get about their food when what they've done for all their life is questioned.

So, that means compromising and going to restaurants that offer mostly meat eater dishes and some veggie options. Thanks again for all the awesome advice. Went out for dinner this evening and did alright! My parents friends, who are really the issue, complained that their coleslaw had curry in it. They are very meat and potatoes and nothing else. sigh. If only they know how good veggie could be!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Pescatarians are not vegetarians, but they do not eat chicken or turkey. The people who want to eat chicken or turkey and still call themselves vegetarians refer to themselves as Pollo vegetarians and have caused me all kinds of issues when I go out to eat
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    spanikopita is a delish greek food with feta and spinach in pastery - a bit fatty yes but high in lots of good stuff and available in greek and lebanese places

drink a shake first and then just have the side veg they offer with mains or a salad?

count it all :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options

This.
    Except I've been veggie for over 28 years. Don't have nearly as many problems now as I did back then!!:happy:
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The OP has a great idea, asking others for advice.

But frankly, watching this post turn into a 'being a veggie at normal restaurants is hard' whine/rant is a bit tough to stomach.
    You made the choice to be vegetarian, learn what your options are, learn to accept that not everything will go your way at every general dining establishment, and please, let it go. Ask the questions we have grown accustomed to asking 'is it a chicken/beef stock?' etc etc and be pleasant to the waitstaff who are trying to answer your questions as best they can.

MOST restaurants are not serving mainly meat dishes to offend you, but to serve the major portion of their demographic. Serving tofu ****ake stir-fry (so yummy!) to people who want a damn steak is not going to keep you in business very long.

OK. Rant over.
    Thanks!
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Most places I eat dont offer much in the way of vegetarian options, luckily I like veggie burgers.

I agree vegetarianism is a choice, as is eating halal or kosher but these get a different reception from people and they are more understanding towards the religious folk even though that is a choice too. anyway I not trying to start an argument

In the UK 1 in 20 people are vegetarian so thats quite a large amount of people really so Id have thought there would be more options but most places are good and state next to any food whether it is vegetarian or not and some places even mark vegan now so that is great!

The worst thing I have come across is my work group decided to go to a carvery for xmas lunch, in that group 1/4 are vegetarian so that wasnt the best choice but they wouldnt go anywhere else ... I got the joy of really mushy vegetables as the rest of the items used animal fat or were meat ...

For a restaurant to offer a quorn chicken fillet with a salad instead of a chicken breast wouldnt cost them more or be any effort really ... a bag of 6 fillets is £1 in a supermarket

VEGETARIANS DONT EAT MEAT, CHICKEN OR FISH ... sorry but the amount of people I have to correct on that drives me insane
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try to check out the menu on line before. Choose seafood dishes/veggies.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Had a really pleasant surprise last night when popping to the local pub with some friends after an all day workshop. They all ordered food and I asked the barmaid if they had anything vegetarian. Yes she said, we have this, this, this, this, this, this, this.... lol! It was all thai food but she said to me in advance you can order with oyster sauce or vegetarian. I had a lovely, BIG plate of stirfried tofu with beanspouts and chillis mmm. Such a surprise with it just being a pub in town we'd popped into on the off chance :bigsmile:

Oh and why the hell should vegetarians have to "put up with" the measley offerings in restaurants/ pubs etc just because they choose to minimise suffering caused to others through their lifestyle? Public eateries have a responsibility to provide as many options as possible, in keeping with their ethnic or other menu of course. Telling vegetarians to basically suck it up, is like telling those allergic to peanuts or gluten to do likewise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The OP has a great idea, asking others for advice.

But frankly, watching this post turn into a 'being a veggie at normal restaurants is hard' whine/rant is a bit tough to stomach.
    You made the choice to be vegetarian, learn what your options are, learn to accept that not everything will go your way at every general dining establishment, and please, let it go. Ask the questions we have grown accustomed to asking 'is it a chicken/beef stock?' etc etc and be pleasant to the waitstaff who are trying to answer your questions as best they can.

MOST restaurants are not serving mainly meat dishes to offend you, but to serve the major portion of their demographic. Serving tofu ****ake stir-fry (so yummy!) to people who want a damn steak is not going to keep you in business very long.

OK. Rant over.
    Thanks!

We are all just making comments about what we experience, which I would hardly call a rant or a whine. Your comment did not address the OPs question AT ALL. Just about everyone gave the OP ideas, which is what she asked for.
  • wingchunrick
    Options
    We should start a vegetarian group on here and exchange recipes etc.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Public eateries have a responsibility to provide as many options as possible, in keeping with their ethnic or other menu of course.

Public eateries don't have a responsibility to do anything except make profit and abide by health codes. They don't owe anyone anything.

Demand will always lead the way. If they lose customers or they're business suffers because they don't have a veggie option, then the business will fail or reform. similarly if veggies reward the restaurants that do good veggie options they will thrive and expand.

No one has the right to eat out. Our the right to have expectations about what food is served. You do have the right to take your money elsewhere though.