Juicing...

Options
2»

Replies

• Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i watched it and bought a juicer..
    made myself a fruit juice, loads of apples, oranges, etc..
    Drinking it really burned my mouth and gave me loads of ulcers..
    So be careful.. Fruit is evil!
  • i watched it and bought a juicer..
    made myself a fruit juice, loads of apples, oranges, etc..
    Drinking it really burned my mouth and gave me loads of ulcers..
    So be careful.. Fruit is evil!

Thanks for the heads up. I've had a juicer for about a year and a half and have made apple and orange juice...uhhh, like three times. lol I LOVED IT. I've never considered juicing to replace meals or to get healthy. After watching the documentary I was completely inspired. I want to flush out all of the processed junk and all the toxins. I'm tired of all the little aches and pains and prescription medications. I'm not going to be doing just fruits, as I know that can be a little acidic. I bought just as much veggies...kale, whole leaf and steam spinach, carrots, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, etc. I'm STOKED!
  • kimberlyrshan
    kimberlyrshan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you read the Gerson theory for treating cancer (I have a friend that is 10 years out from treating his own "incurable" cancer this way), it talks about juices, especially carrot and greens (which are great with apple and banana respectively) causing the body to get rid of toxins any way it can. If your urine and sweat and other means of eliminating toxins from the body can't keep up with the swift pace that your body is trying to flush them out, your liver has to work extra hard recycling toxin filled blood, and it will even come out through your skin...break outs, cold sores, ulcers. It is temporary, and once you're through it your better. It sucks, but it's a process. :)
    I'd stick with it for awhile.
  • kimberlyrshan
    kimberlyrshan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "You're" better. I hate when I make typos.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all...so, after watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" I am very inspired and interested in juicing. I want to juice from an overall health perspective, not just weight loss. I am tired of all the prescription medications and aches and pains. Any advice? Good books? Websites? Support/motivation?

I am in UK and went on Gumtree and found someone who was moving to Canada, who had a bread maker, juicer and coffee maker - needless to say, I bought them all :o)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Regardless of methods used, ensure you are getting a balanced diet. Do NOT leave out protein as it is the building block of muscle. Your weight loss needs to be fat loss, not muscle loss.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i'm going to have to watch that documentary now.

my favorite breakfast juice is carrots apple and ginger. i also enjoyed juicing pineapples and making my own apple and orange juices.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the whole fruit? Honestly, juicing is NOTHING more than severe calorie restriction and of course you'll lose weight on it. But after a few days of it, you'll really miss solid food eating and that's when weight can go back up because you're actually eating calories again.
    And don't buy into "detoxing". If you want to remove processed foods, then just stop eating them. You don't need to go through the "juicing" regimen to rid your body of the supposed toxins you've ingested. That's what you kidneys and liver are for.
    While I can see how juicing can be "supplemented" into a lifestyle plan, using it as a "diet" plan will usually end in failure. Can it be done? Sure, but unless your life depended on it (like the documentary writer) chances are this will be another fad diet. And diets don't work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shannoni_23
    Options
    I've never tried juicing. What about the calories? I know it's all natural and stuff, but if you are trying to lose weight, it seems like that would be a lot of calories. I always hear you should EAT your fruits & veg. A glass of fresh squeezed orange juice has way more calories than eating an orange.
    But, I really have no experience/knowledge of the benefits of juicing, so don't yell at me.:smile: