When your friends eat a LOT of CRAP

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I never realized there was such peer pressure to eat garbage. Thankfully I have not experienced that. Next time tell them that you will stick with your healthier foods so you can outrun them when the zombies come. :tongue:
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Next time tell them that you will stick with your healthier foods so you can outrun them when the zombies come. :tongue:

^ This.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You remind them kindly that you didnt lose 19 pounds "taking it easy"... and although you could probably "afford" to eat bad once and a while, its a mental thing also. Eating bad isnt just bad for your body but after you've gone thru the struggle of losing that much weight and finally being healthy... theres a lingering "guilt" (for lack of a better word) in your head because you've spent a lot of time and patience training yourself to get away from that.

The good thing about fast food now a days, there are also healthy options... and while i'm sure you probably do reach for that i totally understand what you mean about feeling bad for eating healthy around them. Try to look at it differently... instead of feeling bad about eating healthy when they are not- hold your head up high and with confidence tell them, you should try this too :) If anything you stand up... strike a sexy pose and say, "THIS DOESN'T COME FOR FREE!"

Fat people arent the only ones who should eat healthy!! My 21 yr old SKINNY cousin got hit with diabetes. His body gave out while he was driving... if he didnt die from a car accident he was very close to dying from the diabetes that day. He ate mc donalds 2-3 times a day, and somehow remained skinny.

I hope you can overcome this. Either that or make healthy friends!!!!! :) Good luck girl. BTW, you are an inspiration to others like me who are still in the begining phases of what you've "already done".
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Just remind yourself "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and reach for the fruit and veges. Good Luck !!!!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Urgh! I have the same problems. It's even worse when you're sharing a fridge with them because it's there all the time. However, I see nothing really wrong with pulling the allergy card... but even better is being honest about how it makes you feel. It really is crappy energy that makes you feel sluggish and uncomfortable. I am also a runner (yeah, you'd think I didn't have to lose weight, but I do)... and I just say that I can't run on that kind of energy. Eventually, they just accept it and sharing meals isn't such a big deal anymore. Plus, some of your good habits will rub off on them. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it bugs you so much. You know what's best for you and you're doing it, so don't worry about it. Or are you feeling deprived in some way?
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. They aren't being friends, they're being selfish and disrespecting what you've already told them over and over. It's up to you to either suck it up and let them continue to disrespect you, stop hanging out with them, or tell them flat out to f*cking knock it off.

If you like them and they are good friends (ala they aren't frenemy's trying to sabotage you, just friends being ignorant) be an adult and tell them to knock it off and the consequences if they don't. Ala you won't be able to hang with them, etc. They probably still won't get it for a few weeks/months, it's like training a child, but if they are true friends they will and you'll see their behavior change.

In my case, my skinny friend changed her behavior. She still slips once in a while, but 99% of the time she's fine now.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Less is more when dealing with someone else's behavior. Don't explain or give long treatises on your likes and dislikes or diet. Just say, "nah" or "no thanks". They will ask again....smile and shake the head. Redirect by changing the subject, if possible.

The thing is, resistance sparks more resistance. There are no magic words. So "no thanks" is best. Although folks certainly make different food choices....your friend *knows* a family size bag of funyins is bad! So there is no "good" answer...anything you say will make her defensive because she already feels a little guilty. (because really, when I am truly enjoying myself without guilt? I don't *want* you to share it. More for me! :tongue: )

If you refuse to engage, consistently, then over time, she'll stop asking. Trust me.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    My friends do this.
    They bring cookies to have at break or decide to go on a trip to Greggs, Burger King or Subway for lunch.
    Just tell them you don't like the food they are eating!
    I have been eating healthier and I can honestly say junk food that I used to crave just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Especially if it's deep fried or covered in greece!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I love the advice in here ... I have a close friend who, if she knows I'm "on the wagon," she gives me lots and lots of advice how to lose weight.

She on the other hand lost weight by downing ADD medicine and not eating. It kills me, because she'll call me from the Taco Bell drive thru, and I hear her orders, and then she'll lecture me about healthy eating. I asked her a couple of weeks ago how she lost her recent 5 pounds (she's an inch or 2 shorter than me, and at least 20 pounds below my goal weight), and she told me she doesn't exercise or eat right, it just comes off. That she'd like to gain weight, actually.

It's super frustrating (I guess I'm commiserating rather than helping)...
  • Strwbrywn20
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight. My younger brother is really skinny, can never seem to gain weight. Well he just moved in with me yesterday, bought himself groceries and he came home with bag after bag of nothing but junk! My kids of course are going all googly eyed over everything, but now every time I open my pantry I have to look at peeps and zingers and caramel popcorn. Then my mom brings over fried chicken and cake! Seriously, why can't family understand that I don't want this crap in my house. I understand my brother eats like crap and that's his choice, but dang it I don't want to look at it all. If it's not there in my house, I"m not tempted to eat it!
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    Ive always connected to my grandmother through food. Recently, I moved in with them to help her out because my grandpa has had several health issues. She makes the worst food ever. Literally she just ate Ice cream for dinner! My grandfather is 81 and is diabetic, has afib and several other heart issues. She says its just her way to show love but seriously she makes cheeseburgers and fried chicken and home-made pies and treats all day long and feeds my grandpa it. Every pound I lose she makes a cake, to "celebrate" It is so upsetting to me to sit there and say no grandma when she is just trying to be supportive and doesn't understand that the cake and the chicken and cheeseburgers is what got me to where I am today. I think she is slowly starting to grasp at the fact that I am changing my lifestyle and it begins with my attitude towards food and the foods i choose to fuel my body. I made her and my grandpa dinner the other night and they loved it! I have no offered to cook for her as much as possible granted that they eat what I eat so Im hoping that I've finally gotten through to them. It is hard to refuse food, or to feel left out when everyone else is eating junk, but Ive realized that I need to lead my own life, and not focus on other people. If you keep allowing people to feed you and tell you whats right you will never believe you deserve better than what they give you.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Turn it around on them. When they are pushing junk at you and pressuring you to eat it, push a carrot stick that them amd pressure them to eat it. Maybe they'll get annoyed and see where you are coming from.
  • xoxluvvy
    xoxluvvy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! My friend is extremely skinny and all she will eat is junk food! Fried fast food, tons of pop, like 3 cookies, tonssss of chocolate and so much candy in general. It really bothers me that she knows I'm trying to be healthy and she gives me all this crap about it saying how I shouldn't be on a diet and everything. You'd think your best friend would support you right? I always feel like mines trying to sabotage me. :/
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    I have these two friends who are both athletes, and each day they'll eat a butter chicken pie, sour candy and a litre of pespi just for lunch. It grosses me out, but they still stay super fit and in great shape!
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ugh it's so hard when you compare what you eat to what your friends eat! All of my friends are super skinny but only one is what I would call 'fit' (ie has muscle). But none of them have any real fat on them! Some eat heaps of junk food and never put on any weight, and others honestly say they just don't get hungry or have cravings so do eat junk but in tiny portions. So I either have to resist eating what they are eating (so hard, my willpower is so bad!) or feel like a fatty when I do indulge and finish my risotto when they leave most of theirs because they're too full.
    Sometimes I wish I had a friend who ate like me and the same attitude to food as me so we could encourage each other, but at least none of my friends push junk food on me, it sounds like some of you have not so supportive friends!
  • maggiethenut
    maggiethenut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when i am weak, i give into peer pressure... i get it a lot. At work, people feel the need to drop candy that i love off at my desk and think they are making me happy... when i just want to bite the heads off the gummi bears and spit them back at them... ok, not really... but it's super difficult to refuse and not seem like a bummer. I finally just realized that these people are genuinely nice and they think they are my friends...and they are... so i have told them all the truth... that it may seem like a nice gesture to bring me junk and want to eat along with me... but it's really hard for me, and if they want to make me smile... how about just coming by to say hello. I now have one co-worker that brings me ice water...it started out as a joke, but i secretly LOVE it.
  • singitella
    Options
    I just tell them that since I cut certain foods out of my diet, those foods make me feel sick when I eat them now. I joke that when I started eating veggies, they made me feel sick, but I got used to it. Your friends may want you to pig out with them, but they are less likely to pressure you if it actually hurts to eat junk. I just say, "I'm not judging what you're eating, I just can't eat [insert crap food here] anymore without feeling really sick. I'm sure you don't want me to feel bad." If they can try to guilt you into eating trash, you can guilt them into minding their own business.

I had a burger from Sonic (no bun) after not eating fast food for a month or so and I was immediately ill. Made me not want to ever go back! Salty food has a big effect on me when I eat it now too, since I eat less of it now. It burns my tongue and I bloat up- rings won't come off kind of puffy! Had ice cream after two months of no sugar- immediate stomach cramps. Our bodies just adjust to whatever kind of crazy stuff we put into them.

Good luck! Don't let them sabotage your effort!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love sweets, sometimes I can control my urges and before I actually eat them. I get the bag of what I think I want to eat and question myself. 70% of the time those urges go away and I do feel I come out stronger in the end. Just because your stomach is saying to eat them doesn't mean you have actually made the final decision to eat whatever it is in your mind.

Because I still live at home, I have two younger siblings and it's a pain when they are scoffing on junk food or when my parents why sweets and junk, it's in the draw and it can be tempting. I know I wouldn't eat it if it wasn't there. If I were to do my own shopping I would pick foods that I know I am going to eat and I wouldn't pick up sweets, cakes, chocolate, etc.

Sadly, I can't do that because not everyone wants to eat the foods I want to eat lol. Plus my Nan doesn't make it any better by going to Greggs, buys cakes, sausage rolls, etc. She doesn't buy me anything because she knows I don't want it.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're trying to keep you where you are by shoving your face full of food?

Or, alternatively, maybe they're just pretending to eat a lot (/saying they eat heaps) whenever you're around ... I have friends like that. It's annoying as.