Anyone taken a break from logging?

Options

Replies

• caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have to log everything. It's a very appealing activity for the obsessive compulsive person. Yesterday I was sick and could only stomach cottage cheese and rice cakes. At the end of the day, even though I had measured every half cup carefully, the carton looked like it was missing more than a cup and a half, so I logged an extra serving whether I had eaten it or not.

I'm going into the hospital in a couple of weeks and the only thing worrying me is how I'll keep track of the food without a computer and with someone else serving it up. I don't think they'll appreciate it in the kitchen at St. Vinnies if I call up and ask them to measure everything for me and tell me how much is on the plate. It really is bugging me.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    no. i will most likely log for the rest of my life.

when i lost the last pound, i promised myself that i would never again put myself through the lose weight / gain it back nightmare again. i will do my best to keep that promise.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So far I have logged everyday since I started in late November 2011, its like second nature now and just part of my lifestyle. Even on those days I eat whatever I want I still log. I don't see me stopping anytime soon.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Has anyone taken a break from logging? How did it go?

I reached my goal weight a few years back and then stopped logging. I put two thirds of the weight back on.

In my own case it was a case of couldn't see food and drink logged in black and white so I pretended that what I was eating was okay, but it wasn't.

This time when I reach my goal, I will continue to log for maintenance,.
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took a break for 8 months and gained 20+ lbs back - I'm working on getting that back off now and logging is an essential part of that.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Only for a day or two when it was just crazy. But, I kept a log in my head! :) I have just gone into maintenance mode and I plan to continue to log every day for 3 months. If I'm doing okay at the end of that 3 months, I was thinking about logging intermittently… first maybe 4 days a week, or maybe every other week, or something like that. I don't think I can ever quit logging. I think it would be too easy for me to gradually increase my portions without maybe even being conscious of it, if I wasn't actually ever weighing or measuring my food.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year, and I have taken several breaks when I thought that I had healthy eating under control. I always gained a few pounds before I start logging again. I still go a day or two sometimes when I don't log, but long term not-logging simply doesn't work for me.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I didn't log while I was on vacation last week, and even though I thought I ate well and definitely got plenty of exercise, I gained 2lbs. I've only been here since late January, so I guess I just haven't learned what proper portions are yet and don't keep track of my calories as closely as I thought I did. So it will be a while before I skip logging again.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped logging for a minute.

There was even a dose of apple cider vinegar I had the other day and I logged it even though it supposedly has zero calories.

:bigsmile:

I'm enjoying the benefits of MFP too much to stop logging.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't logging consistently, it wasn't going well. But it was because I was making bad choices and didn't want to have to see it all written down. So far, logging helps me. Obviously I'd like to get to the point where I don't need to log, as this isn't something I want to do forever, but that's a long ways away for now.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    One word for me: Disaster!!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I just started re-logging today.

I've been on an "on again, off again" break for about 3 months, and I've gained slightly, but not a whole lot.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Has anyone taken a break from logging? How did it go?

i did. between my birthday (on october 9th) and a week after new years day. lots of traveling, lots of potluck style parties, general holiday snacking, etc... i managed to gain 30 pounds. so yeah, major fail without the logging. :-\
  • Signwriter
    Options
    I'm so brassed off...my iphone was stolen on Wednesday so I've not been able to log on since then. I get a new phone tomorrow.

When I started this about a month or so ago I weighed about 86 Kg and with the help of this app I weighed in today at 77.10Kg. I never expected to lose much but even if I hadn't it has helped me to understand and appreciate just how many calories are in certain food, it's an absolutely brilliant app. I'm looking forward to getting a replacement phone tomorrow and I'll try and remember what I had to eat the last few days.

This app has literally changed my life!!
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No. I'm too addicted to logging already. I'm afraid that if I stop for a day I would be constantly counting anyway (or eating even less). But this is just how it works for me, other people might need a break from time to time.
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    I take a break from logging once a week. It works for me since it's my rest day from exercise and I like to cheat a bit on that day too. For me it works because I'm learning to watch my portions and not eat when I'm not hungry. Even on my lax days I've notice I don't go crazy like I would have a couple months ago. When I'm in maintenance, I'll still log, and take 1day/ week off. :smile:
    The only time I might take a longer break is when I'm on vacation or when it's not that convenient (like camping or touring with my bike).
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I am scared not to log. It's become second nature to do it to continue the weight loss. I lost a lot before and put most of it back on. I promised myself that I will not do that again after losing it again. It's harder to lose it this time too.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292
    Options
    i was about 7lbs from my goal and just plain stopped logging. i still exercised and watched what i ate, but honestly really knew what my intake was...after awhile you just know IMO...

im back to logging and changing up my numbers a bit...didnt gain a pound during my time off, but would like to reach my final goal this spring...so im back to logging for now.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i took about a month-long break over christmas. i managed to still lose weight but after new years i got super worried that i wasn't keeping at a sensible calorie count so i started logging again.
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    After I took one day off, I thought it was okay to keep doing it. I gained 10lbs and now I'm struggling. I started new today and am hoping to keep at it again.