Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone taken a break from logging?

Replies

• caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 176 Member
    I have to log everything. It's a very appealing activity for the obsessive compulsive person. Yesterday I was sick and could only stomach cottage cheese and rice cakes. At the end of the day, even though I had measured every half cup carefully, the carton looked like it was missing more than a cup and a half, so I logged an extra serving whether I had eaten it or not.

I'm going into the hospital in a couple of weeks and the only thing worrying me is how I'll keep track of the food without a computer and with someone else serving it up. I don't think they'll appreciate it in the kitchen at St. Vinnies if I call up and ask them to measure everything for me and tell me how much is on the plate. It really is bugging me.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    no. i will most likely log for the rest of my life.

when i lost the last pound, i promised myself that i would never again put myself through the lose weight / gain it back nightmare again. i will do my best to keep that promise.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    So far I have logged everyday since I started in late November 2011, its like second nature now and just part of my lifestyle. Even on those days I eat whatever I want I still log. I don't see me stopping anytime soon.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    Has anyone taken a break from logging? How did it go?

I reached my goal weight a few years back and then stopped logging. I put two thirds of the weight back on.

In my own case it was a case of couldn't see food and drink logged in black and white so I pretended that what I was eating was okay, but it wasn't.

This time when I reach my goal, I will continue to log for maintenance,.
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    I took a break for 8 months and gained 20+ lbs back - I'm working on getting that back off now and logging is an essential part of that.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Only for a day or two when it was just crazy. But, I kept a log in my head! :) I have just gone into maintenance mode and I plan to continue to log every day for 3 months. If I'm doing okay at the end of that 3 months, I was thinking about logging intermittently… first maybe 4 days a week, or maybe every other week, or something like that. I don't think I can ever quit logging. I think it would be too easy for me to gradually increase my portions without maybe even being conscious of it, if I wasn't actually ever weighing or measuring my food.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    I've been on MFP for over a year, and I have taken several breaks when I thought that I had healthy eating under control. I always gained a few pounds before I start logging again. I still go a day or two sometimes when I don't log, but long term not-logging simply doesn't work for me.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 376 Member
    I didn't log while I was on vacation last week, and even though I thought I ate well and definitely got plenty of exercise, I gained 2lbs. I've only been here since late January, so I guess I just haven't learned what proper portions are yet and don't keep track of my calories as closely as I thought I did. So it will be a while before I skip logging again.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    I haven't stopped logging for a minute.

There was even a dose of apple cider vinegar I had the other day and I logged it even though it supposedly has zero calories.

:bigsmile:

I'm enjoying the benefits of MFP too much to stop logging.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    When I wasn't logging consistently, it wasn't going well. But it was because I was making bad choices and didn't want to have to see it all written down. So far, logging helps me. Obviously I'd like to get to the point where I don't need to log, as this isn't something I want to do forever, but that's a long ways away for now.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    One word for me: Disaster!!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    I just started re-logging today.

I've been on an "on again, off again" break for about 3 months, and I've gained slightly, but not a whole lot.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Has anyone taken a break from logging? How did it go?

i did. between my birthday (on october 9th) and a week after new years day. lots of traveling, lots of potluck style parties, general holiday snacking, etc... i managed to gain 30 pounds. so yeah, major fail without the logging. :-\
  • I'm so brassed off...my iphone was stolen on Wednesday so I've not been able to log on since then. I get a new phone tomorrow.

When I started this about a month or so ago I weighed about 86 Kg and with the help of this app I weighed in today at 77.10Kg. I never expected to lose much but even if I hadn't it has helped me to understand and appreciate just how many calories are in certain food, it's an absolutely brilliant app. I'm looking forward to getting a replacement phone tomorrow and I'll try and remember what I had to eat the last few days.

This app has literally changed my life!!
  • kettrickenx
    kettrickenx Posts: 92 Member
    No. I'm too addicted to logging already. I'm afraid that if I stop for a day I would be constantly counting anyway (or eating even less). But this is just how it works for me, other people might need a break from time to time.
  • I take a break from logging once a week. It works for me since it's my rest day from exercise and I like to cheat a bit on that day too. For me it works because I'm learning to watch my portions and not eat when I'm not hungry. Even on my lax days I've notice I don't go crazy like I would have a couple months ago. When I'm in maintenance, I'll still log, and take 1day/ week off. :smile:
    The only time I might take a longer break is when I'm on vacation or when it's not that convenient (like camping or touring with my bike).
  • I am scared not to log. It's become second nature to do it to continue the weight loss. I lost a lot before and put most of it back on. I promised myself that I will not do that again after losing it again. It's harder to lose it this time too.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    i was about 7lbs from my goal and just plain stopped logging. i still exercised and watched what i ate, but honestly really knew what my intake was...after awhile you just know IMO...

im back to logging and changing up my numbers a bit...didnt gain a pound during my time off, but would like to reach my final goal this spring...so im back to logging for now.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    i took about a month-long break over christmas. i managed to still lose weight but after new years i got super worried that i wasn't keeping at a sensible calorie count so i started logging again.
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    After I took one day off, I thought it was okay to keep doing it. I gained 10lbs and now I'm struggling. I started new today and am hoping to keep at it again.