Anyone taken a break from logging?

Options

Replies

• tiffygrl12
    Options
    I took a two-week break in February. I got tired of doing it and was afraid that if I didn't take a small break i would stop all together. I ate a little below my maintenance calories then and lost a pound. I actually started to miss logging so I got back on. I don't always use the online counter, for the past two weeks I've been writing everything down in a notebook.
    Changing things up like that can really help you stay on track if you're like me and you hate sticking to a routine.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I plan to log for the rest of my life. I have not taken a break, yet. I dont want one.
  • dms1974
    dms1974 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I took a break a few months ago. I ended up eating more because i wasn't as mindful. Long story short I gained everything I lost back plus. I am back on track now though. I would say don't stop unless you have to.
  • LesleyParis
    Options
    Ive taken today off, it's Mother's Day here in the UK, so I've registered everything but....think I'll give it up as a bad job today!!
    I shall be back to normal tomorrow!!
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Took a whole week off while I was in Mexico. I didn't lose progress but I struggled with getting back into logging the first few days.
  • l_oudman
    l_oudman Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I took a few months off and was doing okay to begin with but by the end I had gained everything back and a little extra. Finally started to lose again but am still playing 'catchup'. :grumble: Won't be doing that again in a hurry!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I went out to Italy to help my Dad work on the land and with the renovations. I found I obsessed less about food and so ate better and more normally and although ate til i was full, indulged and didn't starve at all, I came back 2KG LIGHTER after just one week!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am scared too - because I keep myself honest by logging and I can see what I have left to eat and plan my meals accordingly. Maybe when I have lost 50 or 60lbs - I may - but right now no so much.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yeah, i did, for a couple of months over the christmas period, and its the worst thing i ever did, i gained a ton of weight back which i am still trying to move, and boy its harder second time around!!
  • luvmycoffee
    luvmycoffee Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in Dec but did not truly commit to logging until March 2. It has been incredibly helpful & I feel good having a support system of MFP friends where we all support each other. For me, I think I would need to be at my goal before I would consider taking a break from logging. :wink:
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have taken a break from logging until my ECG and blood test results are in and I go thru it all with the DR

all going well , I am staying the same weight :smile:
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i took a break for somewhere around a year. still exercised, still tried to eat well. i gained 30 pounds.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Never have skipped logging. My diary is not public, but I still log everything, faithfully and accurately. Down to the last detail, even medications or vitamins.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    i do every now and then...for the most part, I eat relatively the same few meals and I know the precooked weights to measure, the number of calories per serving and stuff like that...so if i stop logging for a few days or a week or whatever, i may not loose weight cuz there's always a few things i forget, but i don't gain any either so it works okay...
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i took a break for somewhere around a year. still exercised, still tried to eat well. i gained 30 pounds.

me too... :sad:
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm wayyyy too scared to stop logging!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I didn't log while I was on vacation last week, and even though I thought I ate well and definitely got plenty of exercise, I gained 2lbs. I've only been here since late January, so I guess I just haven't learned what proper portions are yet and don't keep track of my calories as closely as I thought I did. So it will be a while before I skip logging again.

In January I didn't log for most of my 10 day vacation. I started out trying to log but it was a hassle and I really was only taking wild guesses trying to find relatively equivalent meals so I decided to take a break. I, too, gained 2# but I thought that was great as I indulged every day on fine dining, treats, drinks, etc. In other words, I didn't even try to eat well. It was gone in just a week or so after my return.

I thought it was freeing to know that I can indulge for short periods without gaining excessively. Of course, all the walking helped, I'm sure. We walked up/down so many of San Francisco's steep hills, across the Golden Gate down into Sausalito, Alcatraz, yada yada, that I'm sure that helped keep it to such a piddly little gain for all the good food I was eating.

I will never ruin a vacation by obsessing about my food intake again. But I'm always active on vacations anyway. Even when I get to goal, I really don't care if I might gain a few pounds while thoroughly enjoying myself. But, then again, with my eating/exercise plan, I truly don't feel like I'm on a diet in the first place so having to watch it upon return from a vacation to lose a few pounds gained won't be any big deal to me.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    I really should, but I can't. It'd be helpful just for the sake of my sanity and to not let my old ED take over again but, I can't even imagine doing it. I've tried it before but it just freaks me out! I hope that some day I'll be able to just make healthy choices and eatp when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not, but im not at that place yet. Someday though I will be!
  • tete127
    tete127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I joined my fitness pal not long ago- for the first week I did really well - logging food and exercise (what little I did) - for the past 2 -3 weeks I have barely logged anything- and I'm pretty sure I gained a few pounds. So bag to logging for me- knowing that I am going to log everything in and see what my food intake and calorie burn are going to be for the day is motivation for me. I'm not good at exercising (UGH) and I love to snack! After trying trying on 3 shirts yesterday so I could head to a baby shower- I've had about enough!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    a few years back i lost almost 50 pounds in 6 months (not on this site) .. decided to take a break , enjoy summer (i could control my portions etc) .. well i now joined this site with those 50 pounds back PLUS 30 more

i now have 140 - 150 to lose (rough est)

i will only take a break now , if im going on vacation (which is almost never) and get right back to it the moment i am back home ...

but to each there own .. that was my exp. yours might be different