Anyone else just need to lose 10-15 lbs?

Options

Replies

• chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ok, so far just in the past week I've increased my calories from 1240 to 1450. Already I feel my energy level has gone up! I still havent gone on the scale, just because I want to give it a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to the calorie increase. I also started doing insanity workouts again, not just boring running on the treadmill. I've also been doing interval training with light weights, and also doing abd every day because that is my biggest problem. Well...

As I said I haven't weighed yet, but I went to my friend's in FL over the weekend. She said wow, you look a lot more toned than last time I saw you! I was thinking, really? Because it had only been a week since I increased my cals and incorporated a lot more strength training into my workouts. So, don't quite know yet, but seems to be doing SOMETHING....
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose 5 more lbs. i'm eating healthy and doing cardio and weight training 6 days a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am more 15-20, but I could be considered 15 so. P90x, 1300 calories a day, beginning to run, more sleep, and eating much healthier. I am just starting out though, so I don't know how it will work out.

On P90X the minimum caloric intake should be 1800, so if you are only eating 1300 I hope you are eating your exercise calories back.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Ok, so far just in the past week I've increased my calories from 1240 to 1450. Already I feel my energy level has gone up! I still havent gone on the scale, just because I want to give it a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to the calorie increase. I also started doing insanity workouts again, not just boring running on the treadmill. I've also been doing interval training with light weights, and also doing abd every day because that is my biggest problem. Well...

As I said I haven't weighed yet, but I went to my friend's in FL over the weekend. She said wow, you look a lot more toned than last time I saw you! I was thinking, really? Because it had only been a week since I increased my cals and incorporated a lot more strength training into my workouts. So, don't quite know yet, but seems to be doing SOMETHING....

The only thing I would suggest is doing heavier weights, if you can get 12 reps with good form the weight is too light and should be increased. Not lifting heavy when you don't have much to lose will lead to the loss of some lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.
  • RachelRedwood16
    RachelRedwood16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, I have already lost around 8-9lbs...so now I'd like to lose 10-15more. :)

I am watching what I eat...(on a 1200 calorie diet), and exercising a lot more. I have taken up running (joined a 5km clinic, and I am doing marathons), that I do three nights per week. I also do Bodyrock.tv exerciss 3x per week which involves strength training and calisthenics. On the nights where I do the bodyrock I also ride my stationary bike for a minimum of 15-20mins.

They say the last 10lbs are the most difficult to lose. So, if I find I am hitting a plateau then I am going to find something else to challenge myself with.

eating only 1200 cals and doing a bunch of working out when you don't have much to lose is a method on how to lose lean muscle, not just fat. See my earlier advice.

Here is the key to drop the last bit of fat weight, not just weight (muscle and fat) 0.5lb/week weight loss at the most, enough protein (0.7-1.0grams/ pound of lean muscle, or 0.7 grams per pound of goal weight), a relatively heavy strength training routine, and eat back the cals you burn if you didn't factor them into your TDEE when calculating your original deficit.

Should I not absolutely go for it with cardio then and do mainly weights so I don't have to eat like 2,200 calories on my intense days? I cannot eat this much without it being bad food.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Well, I have already lost around 8-9lbs...so now I'd like to lose 10-15more. :)

I am watching what I eat...(on a 1200 calorie diet), and exercising a lot more. I have taken up running (joined a 5km clinic, and I am doing marathons), that I do three nights per week. I also do Bodyrock.tv exerciss 3x per week which involves strength training and calisthenics. On the nights where I do the bodyrock I also ride my stationary bike for a minimum of 15-20mins.

They say the last 10lbs are the most difficult to lose. So, if I find I am hitting a plateau then I am going to find something else to challenge myself with.

eating only 1200 cals and doing a bunch of working out when you don't have much to lose is a method on how to lose lean muscle, not just fat. See my earlier advice.

Here is the key to drop the last bit of fat weight, not just weight (muscle and fat) 0.5lb/week weight loss at the most, enough protein (0.7-1.0grams/ pound of lean muscle, or 0.7 grams per pound of goal weight), a relatively heavy strength training routine, and eat back the cals you burn if you didn't factor them into your TDEE when calculating your original deficit.

Should I not absolutely go for it with cardio then and do mainly weights so I don't have to eat like 2,200 calories on my intense days? I cannot eat this much without it being bad food.

Yes, unless you are training for an endurance event or for health reasons there is no need to do cardio to lose weight. The best way to lower BF% is a slight caloric deficit, and a heavy lifting strength training program. The deficit can be from diet alone or diet and exercise. But if you don't want to eat a lot, then you should cut down on cardio.

I do cardio twice/week for 20 minutes of high intensity. Again if you are training for an event you may want to keep up your cardio, but you should be eating those cals back to fuel the workout and to ensure you are not losing lean muscle.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 lbs and have 9 to go and set a goal of June 1 to be rid of them because they are holding on for dear life. Just upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 a day this week (going to see how it goes for a few weeks), and added 3 days of weight training (cardio 5-6 times a week), drink a ton of water, have a cheat day once a week to spike my metabolism and recently added more healthy fat to my daily foods, I'm stumped as to what else I could be doing to get of these last 9 lbs.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I've lost 17 lbs and have 9 to go and set a goal of June 1 to be rid of them because they are holding on for dear life. Just upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 a day this week (going to see how it goes for a few weeks), and added 3 days of weight training (cardio 5-6 times a week), drink a ton of water, have a cheat day once a week to spike my metabolism and recently added more healthy fat to my daily foods, I'm stumped as to what else I could be doing to get of these last 9 lbs.

I would actually suggest less cardio, unless you are training for an event. If you do a lot of cardio your body will be more likely to shed a large % of lean muscle then if you did a moderate amount, meaning you would be a higher BF% at your goal weight doing a ton of cardio, vs. a more balanced approach.
  • mustanggirl_2011
    mustanggirl_2011 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to lose 10-15 probably more on the 15lb side :)I have been doing the 30 Day Shred off and on and walking. Need to step it up and do the shred for the shred every day.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I would actually suggest less cardio, unless you are training for an event. If you do a lot of cardio your body will be more likely to shed a large % of lean muscle then if you did a moderate amount, meaning you would be a higher BF% at your goal weight doing a ton of cardio, vs. a more balanced approach.

Thanks but I can't give up my jogging, its the best buzz I get since I gave up wine :laugh:
  • erickirb
    Options

Thanks but I can't give up my jogging, its the best buzz I get since I gave up wine :laugh:

that is fine as long as you make sure you eat enough (eat back the cals you burn) and get enough protein.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 10 lbs and tone up. Just started P90X on Monday (Lean program). I was doing different Jillian Michael's tapes about 6 times a week and some cardio on my treadmill, so now doing P90X to see if that helps. I am set to lose 0.7 lbs a week on MFP and set at 1200 cals per day. I have lost nothing yet and just took my body measurements on Monday, so hopefully will see some inches lost. I do eat some/most of my workout calories back. I am not sure what else I can do to help move my weight along.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I want to lose 10 lbs and tone up. Just started P90X on Monday (Lean program). I was doing different Jillian Michael's tapes about 6 times a week and some cardio on my treadmill, so now doing P90X to see if that helps. I am set to lose 0.7 lbs a week on MFP and set at 1200 cals per day. I have lost nothing yet and just took my body measurements on Monday, so hopefully will see some inches lost. I do eat some/most of my workout calories back. I am not sure what else I can do to help move my weight along.

Please re-think your intake, as with P90X the diet guide suggest the lowest intake be 1800. So if you are going with your 1200, make sure you eat back 100% of the cals burned from exercise or you risk burning a very large % of your loss as lean muscle.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have 7 to go. As of last week, it was 5.5. So, I went up 1.5. I cannot seem to take off the last 5. No matter what I do. But, I keep trying.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Please re-think your intake, as with P90X the diet guide suggest the lowest intake be 1800. So if you are going with your 1200, make sure you eat back 100% of the cals burned from exercise or you risk burning a very large % of your loss as lean muscle.

MFP has me set at 1200 and I try and use a P90X estimate calculator that told me how many calories I should burn during the different workout tapes, so I was eating those calories back. But, today for instance, it is only around 1450 calories total that I would eat. I just ordered a HRM with calorie counter to see if that will give me more accurate numbers for calories burned during P90X. Thanks!
  • techiegurl
    Options
    I want to drop 10-15 more. I am very active but gained ~10 late last year during the holidays and other stressful events.
    I was losing a bit, especially when I cut out the tempting foods but I always thought the 1200 cal limit was very restrictive and not at all customized for my height and muscular/atheletic build. Besides I always went over it, except for a few times and was still losing weight, slowly but surely..
    So after reading around a bit, some formulas including one from teambeachbody gave me about 1600 for weight loss while being very active, so now I use 1570 (arbitrary). I don't know if it really works yet, mostly because I can't seem to achieve that 50:40 ratio of carbs to protein ideal for weight loss, and I haven't measured myself in the 1.5 weeks since I made that change. Will post my progress with that soon
    I'm pleased to say that having 1600+ cals per day is working for me, along with logging my meals and maintaining a very fit afterwork lifestyle (just started Insanity last week). I've lost 2 more lbs in the last 2 weeks.
    Would have been more if I didn't indulge during my monthly craving time ;)
  • sblack91
    sblack91 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey! So I am 5'1, 20 years old, and 111lbs (as of last weeks weigh in!) I'm trying to lose the last ten pounds or so, being really short I don't carry weight well at all! I am seeing that there are a lot of people who know their stuff on here so I was hoping for some help.

I carry most of my excess weight around my mid-section and although I have been steadily losing around 0.5- 1.0 lbs per week for the past couple of months - which I am happy with - I still look like what a lot of people call "skinny fat"..!

I do cardio (running) 5-6 times per week and also do some weight training, although I can't afford a gym membership so it is just stuff at home.
    Although I have read that the only way to see definition in your stomach is to lose weight, what gets me is that I see pictures of women who are 20-30lbs heavier than me and their abs look amazing!

I don't just want to keep getting smaller without more definition.. am I doing something wrong? Any advice is welcome!
  • sharanksandhu
    sharanksandhu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have 10 pounds to lose. I am very active person and try to workout at least five days a week and eat healthy diet .
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've struggled to lose 10 pounds and would like to lose another 10-15. I have played with different calories. 1200, 1350, back to 1200 now up to 1320 I think. I always eat most of my exercise calories back. ( yeck that's a BIG reason I exercise as I'm starving without more). The increase so far has taken the StReSs off and I don't focus on the number as much.
    I am currently redoing the C25K program, but have been sidelined twice already. I just keep pulling myself up by the sneakers :laugh: and getting back at it. I also walk alot. The warm weather has helped my activity level too :love:.
    Feel free to add me to your friends. I encourage everyday :bigsmile:
  • sharanksandhu
    sharanksandhu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i am trying to lose 10lbs and man it seems so hard especially being that i am already active and healthy! tips are welcomed too!
    Same here . I am trying to lose 10 lbs but i think the problem is eating too few calories . MFP gave me 1200 calories and i was eating only 1200 to 1300 and also burning 200 calories on top of that. I did not lose a pound but now i am going to up my calories to 1800 and see what happens.